Bill Thrailkill, you owe me a new surfboard

Oooooooooh.  Me likey. Fins are a bit further apart, though.

Yes, they are.     From that point on, out to the rail, the tracking gets stronger and stronger.     The solution is move the fins closer together, or as the fins approach the rail, they should get smaller and smaller.       In his blog, he gives the impression that this is original thought, by him.      Next thing you know someone will win a contest with the setup.      Then it will be the new flavor of the day.

Well. it’s only taken me 3 years to get back to looking at a Thrailkill “two in one” fin again, but I’ve made a start.

Here’s the first half laminated up.

BRAVO !    

What?  Is that legal?

All the best

Slowly, slowly.

Aloha RDM,

Quite impressive.     Very well executed.

Ha, I love the photo of Bill routing out the boxes with no mask on. 

Silicosis is pretty fashionable these days I guess.

Still going slowly. Both halves laminated and sanded. Now for the gloss coats, final sanding and eventual joining.

Aloha Rohan,

You might consider a ‘‘rattle can’’ clear matte finish, as your final coat.       The way you’ve engineered the single base design, is quite clean, simple, and creative.      Ride report, asap, please.      As said before, well done!

Surfed it today in 4’ beach breaks. Surfs like a single fin but with a lot of extra “sqirt” and hold. Definitely something worth exploring if you are a fan of single fins. It didn’t feel like it had a lot of extra drag (unlike my previous design), but stomping hard on the tail I could feel the horizontal elements at work.

Excuse the wide angle lens effect on the attached images. There is no fin cant or toe in on the design.

Thanks Bill.

RDM,

Creative, and well executed.       I’m sure it generates alot of questions on the beach, eh?        That setup must really mess with peoples mind !        That has to be as much  fun as riding waves with it.       Goodonya.

Is it the photo or do I see the fins toed in slightly?

Looks good.

Sounds like Uncle Bill approves.

Nicely executed.

No toe in or cant at all Barry. Wide angle lens and perspective distortion.

Got it.

Did you make molds of each half before joining them?

Seems like an easier way of reproducing them.

Been riding singles lately.

Love to try one.

Hi Barry. I built the curved wood cores of each side up separately, foiled them and then stuck a 3mm thick fin base strip onto each one. Glassed over both sides of each one and then joined the halves together. Just have to juggle the number of layers of glass to make sure you end up with a correct fin base thickness once it’s all joined together.

You could more easily do it with moulds or patterns to lay up the shapes, but I was trying to minimise the weight by using as much wood core as I could.

Bill, Thought I would share testing your idea on Standups. 

Aloha Larry,

Someday we should talk about my ‘‘secret foil’’, and putting it into production.        Give it some thought.     

bill

rode my brother’s little 6’4" twin single egg yesterday. 

super thick with a hull bottom and fins more aligned like what Neal Purchase Jr is doing.

definitely impressed with the speed and grip

might just be the ticket for us single fin old farts same thruster drive without the hip wiggle no slide out or pivot from the single.

I think my next project will be a flat bottomed lo-rockered egg twin singl with a slight nose flip

great idea

Aloha Bernie,  

I’m glad you had a good experience with that setup.       Several folks have added boxes on my recommended 2 inch centers to an existing board whose ride the ‘‘knew’’ quite well, only to be shocked by the dramatic improvement in performance, simply by changing the fin setup. (Frankly, that was exactly my experience.)    I hope some of them will post their own  experiences in this thread.     I’m sure there are many readers who are not familiar with the history on that fin setup.    Newer forum members might want to consider reading this thread from the beginning, for some perspective.