Bill Thrailkill, you owe me a new surfboard

RDM,

OK, I'll take the bow for the paired, close proximity, fins.      But, the way you have married that concept to a single base, in a single box, is yours.    The fin shape you have chosen is quite functional, and eye pleasing, IMO.   So, don't be shy, take a bow for what you have accomplished.   I'm waiting to hear your ride report now!

[quote="$1"]

Thrailkill 2 in 1.

Not completely finished yet - a bit of clean up sanding and gloss coating still to be done.

Hopefully it will be strong enough.

Flat outsides and foiled insides as per Bill's instructions.

[/quote]

woohoo !!

thanks for telling me about this , Rowan

A ride report thread when you've tested it in bali waters ?

q:  HOW do you foil INSIDE edges , do you make two fins , foil them identically , then join them together or something , Rowan ?

cheers

ben

" I hate it when I don't know the answer!   " [bill thrailkill]  ...  heehee

..... i actually LOVE it when i don't know the answer , because it means we are always able to learn more !

Hey Ben.

Answer: You’re right on the money - fins were made separately then joined together. Layers of extra glass were then laid into the bottom of the “V”.

Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Rohan

i'd love a go on it , if it stays in one piece !!

any chance someone can VIDEO your rides in bali , please , Rowan ?

this is GREAT !!

I'm EXCITED again !

cheers

ben

Well, the fin has had its first outing and it need some work. I surfed it in offshore, fast, overhead, semi hollow lefts (backhand for me) and can report the following:

Felt solid in the turns but way, way, way too much drag - even when paddling.

I have a couple of ideas about modifications to reduce the drag. Any other ideas a most welcome.

1). Foil both sides of the “V” portion of the fin - at the moment it’s foiled on the inside only which I think is creating a low pressure pocket in that area and is pulling the  boards tail down it to the water.

2). Cut away some of the rear portion of the “V” to reduce the amount of surface area which is helping to create what I spoke about in 1).

What are your thoughts ?

Perhaps the  V portion should be foiled opposite to the fins, creating low pressure above the  V , as well as shortening the rear portion of the  V .     Does your board have a lot of tail rocker?    It may be causing the  V   portion to be angled down like a diving plane.

You might be right Bill.

I think I’ll try to foil both sides of the V first and see what that feels like - one step at a time. If the drag is still excessive, I’ll flatten the inside of the V so the foil is completely reversed from its original state.

The board only has around 1 1/2" of tail rocker (from memory). I surf it occasionally with one of Cheyne Horans Starfins and although there is the slightest hint of what you’ve described (diving plane) it’s certainly not excessive.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Rohan

How about connecting the tips of the two fins creating a tunnel? Something tells me it may help hold the tail down in noserides.

Sorry codyguy. But there won’t be any noseriding done with this fin - it’s being used in a 6’4" double ender.

Aloha Bill

Does this twin box set up work with mini pin tail mini longboards? Looking at a 7’6 and wanting to try this on it.

Mahalo

[quote="$1"] Aloha Bill Does this twin box set up work with mini pin tail mini longboards? Looking at a 7'6 and wanting to try this on it. Mahalo [/quote]

The short answer to your question is, yes.    Proper fin position is crucial to board performance.    Most people tend to place fins too far back, on pintails.    I strongly suggest using boxes that allow fore/aft ''tuning'' of the optimum fin positions.    If you are going to use fixed position boxes, PM me some dimensions of the tail.    Width of the tail @ 12 inches, and width of the tail @ 16.5 inches.    Also need to know fin depth, and fin base length.    I'll try to be helpful.

Airboy808,

If you make the conversion, be sure to follow up with a report back on Swaylocks, or on this thread.

R D M, and Airboy808,

Both of you were going to do ride reports, weren't you?     I'm especially interested in the outcome of R D M's  fin experiment.   I hope folks don't mind the bump up of an old thread.

Hey Bill.

I haven't had any more luck after the tinkerings I described on the previous page of this thread - still way too much drag (poor foiling and and too much horizontal surface area I think).

I haven't given up though. I have another one on the go with a reduced chord and a much more gradual transition (in front or rear view) from the fin base out to the each of the fin "branches". Hopefully this will do the trick.

Thanks for the reminder to get going again.

Cheers

Rohan

RDM,

Thanks for the update.     A more gradual transition from the base to the twin fin blades, sounds like it may be the answer to the drag issue.     Glad you are still working on it.

This is a bump up for OBXbuddha.     This thread was a result of interest generated from the Falkenau thread.   Hope it keeps your fires burning. 

Bumping this up for ‘‘Everysurfer’’ and anyone else with a curiosity about the performance and validity of the ‘‘Twingle’’ setup.

Thanks for the bump, Bill.

What about as the trailer on a thruster?  A quad with really narrow spread?

I believe Herb Spitzer did something similar to what you are describing.    He can give you a response based on his experience, if he’s looking in.     I’ve not done any other setups than what you’ve seen, so cannot do more than speculate.    That said, I don’t see any reason why it would not work just fine.   I’ve toyed with the idea of doing a quad, but it never got beyond being just an idea.

Bill looks like neil purchase jr is a fan…