board from waste again, cause why not.

Thanks Spudups, for the comment and the ideas about the wax. I used tape, built it up.

I have heard about the wax thing but i would be concerned that the wax would mess with the epoxy.

I know that epoxy doesnt like oils etc from your hands between layers, I would hate to get to the final stages like that and then have some weird delam around the the fins.

Yes, to answer your question from way earlier, yes they have been glassed over, they have 3 layers of 4oz, the full lam, a fin patch, and then little fotball shapes over the boxes. if you look at the close up of the fin base yo ucan see there is arouns 1.5mm of cloth and resin over the plug. 

https://www.tracksmag.com.au/news/this-guy-made-a-board-out-of-trash-513606

Hope the link works, but guess who got a little write up on the tracks website?

I enjoyed the read.    Bravo!      

Loved that. Great story. Really nice looking board (that I could not ride).

all the best

I’m about half finished shaping my past Frankenboard. I think I’ll give away the styrofoam coolers we get every couple of weekd in the mail.

Here’s a few shots of the build in progress.

That one is pretty epic. The great thing about the building foam is that i can get large profile off cuts. Reducing the amont of gluing.

Yeah, that makes it a lot easier. I have 2 blocks of EPS that are 4’ x 4’ x 13" waiting to become something. The coolers keep coming and they take up room, so I either dump them or try to reuse them. What I didn’t show is the off cuts I use along the rail as the last piece. 

These builds do a lot to teach you how to use the planer and cut out a board from a block of foam. Just way too much work, and I still have to decide if I want to add a wood skin because the foam is only 1lb.

Love the work you do Adam.

Imagine the ‘‘olden times’’ when a surfboard had to be carved out of big rectangular balsa blanks.     Even worse, solid Redwood!

Yup, that’s how they started. The ancient Koa boards would be a real chore, and they didn’t have steel tools, just rocks and basalt glass adzes.

Really sweet. I would imagine a few customers would be hyped on the build process itself. Maybe you’re starting a new trend in surfboards: recycle, rebuild, reuse…

Yeah, this actually popped up in the news feed on my ipad a couple days ago.  I thought it was pretty cool.

Impressive stuff!

Where did you get the foam? Seems quite a unusual find!

Had not heard of this but seems you got a potential winner.

A Board-Building Contest You Should Check Out - Surfer Magazine

https://apple.news/AOvzN-sbPTZKyOxGbDJd-6g 

Got lucky and had a few pics taken by a local legend by the name of jeff perren.

Board works. and is still holding up well.

Colours are pretty too

Awesome pics!

Yes very nice pics.  If you wanna see “Waste” check out my”Ham and Swiss” thread.  Lowel

Not sure if this will work, but this might be a cool bump thread to revisit…

very inspiring and the recycling part of it is so cool. Great pics of your ripping too.

1 Like

What a great project, well done. How do you navigate the problem of sanding around glue lines that are harder than foam? Do you use less glue so you don’t get excess squeezing out and rely on the fibreglass shell for structural integrity?

I kinda just sanded and shaped it as per normal. Then at the end, I trimmed the glue back on the rails with a sharp blade, and used the stringer plane super sharpe and shallow to trim the glue lines along the length of the board.
Just made sure I have enough glue to cover the surface and then it foams up to fill the voids.