Bonzer build thread (amateur style)

Hi all,
I’ve wanted to own a bonzer for a while now and seeing as I’ve starting ruining blanks, why not try a bonzer. The nail in the coffin was reading Yorkys excellent thread - https://www.swaylocks.com/forums/time-to-shape-my-bonzer Thanks dude!

My goal is to have something in the 6’6 range, fat and flat for the laid back English conditions I seem to get every trip to the beach. Initially wanting a Bonzer3 (less fins to glass, contours etc) but, everywhere I read the Bonzer5 is the way to go…so I started with an old 7’4 Bennett blank I picked up (left one) -

not sure where the pic went…

After skimming blank I made some side fin templates and played about with placement. Need to order 8" fin box. Contemplated a classic diamond tail, but will probably stay roundy pin…

I tried not to complicate the bottom contours too much and did a flat nose to 12" and a soft starting 3/16" concave all the way through. At this point the blank is 6’7" X 2-5/8 X 20-1/2…a bit narrower than hoped, but I can work with this.

Side fin placement (from all my research) ended up at - rear fin 10.5" from tail and 1.5" from rail. Rear of front fin is 1.5" out from front of rear fin and level. Both toe in 1/4".
I made some radius ‘sticks’ for bottom contours and used 32 foot radius for my inner guide line and 24 foot for outer.

I taped the stringer and outer contour on rail and got sanding. Surformed through main concave first and then round hard-foam block (size of a toilet roll). Used the foam block for outers also.

Here’s where it sits after smoothing a little more. It took a couple of weeks to get it to this stage (when time permitted) but will hopefully get back on it soon with work slowing down a little.
Main contour ended up 3/16" it’s deepest between the rear fins and starts just over half board length (front foot). Outer contour 1/8" deep and starts just behind front foot(ish).

Previous post shows rails done. Here’s the rail bands on deck and finished rails. I blend till I get the right feel through my hands, with going hard edge from front fins back. I’ve tried to keep as much foam on the blank and ended with a reasonably flat deck.

Forgot to say - I’ve only used USBlanks prior to this ‘old’ Bennett blank and was amazed at how bubble free it was…

I did a couple of fin panels. 20 X 6oz for side fins and 40 X 6oz for centre. The templates were free drawn off the pc from a few images. I will shrink the centre fin to around 6"1/4 - 6"1/2, not sure why I drew this size.

Late last week started the glassing process. First resin tint for me and not entirely happy with the colour but it’s done and I’ll live with it…

Friday was top lamination, flip and lam decal under a piece of 6oz (probably need some 4 or 2?). Mixed some old lam resin to mount side fins - forgot to sand bottom of fins to match board rocker, oops! A small gap front and back but I’m sure roving/rope will solve. Side fins mounted at 20 degrees. Saturday I lammed/patched the fins (forgot to take pic).

Thanks,
Bonzer’s are beautiful

Nice Bonzer.
I like the colour.

Thanks guys, the colour is growing on me.
Glass-on fins, what a nightmare of a job! Yep, this was my first time doing this and maybe shouldn’t have stated with a bonzer. I tried to take BillT’s advice (various other threads) and use no roving but this just wasn’t possible with the small gaps I had. I ‘only’ ended up using 2 pieces of roving each side and confident with fins shaped to boards bottom contours could do with no roving next time…and think the process simplified.
I managed to sand then hotcoat early in the week. Leash plug and box installed Thursday -

Friday morning was spent sanding hotcoat, plug and fin box. Getting a resin pinline on.
With the cold weather (now snowing in Bristol, uk) I wasn’t sure I’d get the gloss coat on but am lucky I have my spray booth and managed both sides Saturday. A well worth long day. Got a busy week ahead so hopefully next weekend will be sand and polish…

That thing is Saweeetttttt! nice work

Just beautiful! And a great, informative build thread.

Well I finished it up before xmas, can’t wait to ride it…Dims ended with 6’6 X 2-9/16 X 20-1/4. Nose at 15-1/4, tail 15-1/2 and nose rocker of 3" and tail 1-3/4.

magic