Bud's Backyard Build 2011

As usual, clean as a whistle!!

Bud, you are so beyond “backyard”!  Your boards are probably better than pro production builders because they are in more of a hurry and don’t care as much. 

please send over the guy who cleans your shop.  I can keep him busy for a while.

I never miss your posts, Bud. such clean lines in your rail bands, laps.  thanks for putting this up for us.

But on the other hand, Bud, your footballs are mishapened.  sorry to be the one to bring this up.  (ha)

Thats the best step by step thread! Nice and simple, images say it all, well done!
Like the leash plug/glass over thats different and the way you show the extra glass patches going in… sweet

Board looks fun, dumpster ish dare I say it… 

That's a super clean board there Bud and a nice step by step photo sequence.  As already posted, a mark for the rest of us to aim at.

Hey thanks for all the kind words, really means a lot!

No no no no no don’t you go there, that is clearly a photo illusion, footballs not laying flat - slightly wrinkled when the photo was taken, probably the wind!!  those patches were cut perfectly with a template!! Anal Retentive Board Builder, out! :slight_smile:

Umm, they’re fine, they’re strong and I use them without problem, easier not to hit weave when sanding hotcoat. On the other hand the more common 1" Ron’s mini plugs I use look nicer to me, with the pigmented resin ring.  Don’t think you could do the same/get similar effect with the under glass/foam install type

Finished up the board the other day, here’s a few more pics. Sanded hotcoat to dry 400 then polished

very nice bud 

Did you even do a gloss coat on this? Or are you that good that you were able to polish out your hot coat?

Any burn-throughs or touch-ups that you are hiding from us? Or are you that perfect? Do tell…

Great thread Bud, thanks! In addition to jamie’s question above, would you mind telling us what kind of polishing compound you use? That looks too good not to ask…

Wow.  That finish is sa…weeet.  Dry 400 then polish?  who knew?  I’m going to try that on my next.

BTW, love the tarp cover on your walls.  I’ve done mine outside, but with weather issues from time to time.

Very nice board I would luv to have one. Did you do a gloss coat?

looks great

dry 400 and polish???

on a sand coat,,,???

WOW!

examalente!

[quote="$1"]

looks great

dry 400 and polish???

on a sand coat,,,???

WOW!

examalente!

[/quote]

What Ken said!

Mad skills yo'!

Amazing work as usual Bud.   An inspiration to anyone with a backyard.

A perfect pictorial on th etopic of rail bands. Thank you.

cool bud - you have set up that small room like a swiss army knife!

WTF?  I sand through the skin on my fingers and through every grit I can buy down to 2000 and my board wouldn’t look that shiny!

Love seeing hand shaped rail bands…something you rarely see in this age of CNC shaping machines. Nice work!

BUMP for grasshopper. Try to take the pebble from Bud’s hand.

Awesome work Bud

For those who are having all those problems with your hot coats. Follow Bud’s pics

I would personally hotcoat the bottom just after tacky before before flippng to do the deck. Then sand your hotcoat and gloss.

You will be touching and flippjng your board less between steps and with PE resin flip times are short already.

Keep in mind I have made one PE resin board ever and the way I describe works with epoxy and should work with PE too.