early side-bite fin set-up in early leash ad *PIC*

Thought those of you interested in fin history might want to see this ad…an early side-bite set-up? Save-A-Swim Lariat SAS!

Were these side-fins the ones that you bought as an after-market product and stuck on the board? I heard about those, but I have never actually seen them.

Larry Block Enterprises, 1-805-583-0057.

Howzit Dubstar, $475 dollars seems a littl expensive. Aloha, Kokua

$4.75 maybe?

Those side fins were a press in system. I have no idea who made them but there was a plastic piece that you laminated into the board and then pulled it out when the resin gelled. The molded fins then just pressed ino the slot.

Thanks, Greg. Did they work?

in the hunington section of 5 summer stories, david has those on his board

i brought home from hawaii’ a board shaped by bill stonebreaker , a 7’2"semi-gun shape that had a similar set-up --today we would call it a 2+1 , it rode Realllly well…it was sold out of the old lightening bolt shop downtown…As i have se=aid may times----it all comes around again, not much is really that new

My mom of all people bought me a set of stick on side bites back around '72. They had a two sided tape thing. I really could’nt feel too much of a difference on my board, a 6’0" Lightning Bolt (shaped by Bill Stonebraker), but did it look cool. Thanks mom…

…The early tris like the Corky Rainbow model/David Dyno Eagle models was a early type of 2+1.The side bites came in 2 different templates(that I know of)They were mounted straight,no toe ,no cant,on very short 6’ and under class, stubby tailed thick boards.The toein and cant came about at the end of the Dyno/David around 1974 dynasty.David colaborated w/ Terry Martin to Start a short lived David Nuuihiwa Surfcrafts.I had a early model fish from this next company.The board was white opague stringerless,5’-8" x 19-1/4"wide.This fish was to be my first toed and canted twin.The only thing else that incorporated this toe/cant feature at this point in time was the Bonzer…did the early 2+1s work???Naw, they tracked horribly due to the lack of toe and cant. …The stick-ons came from Con Colburn/CON-trol products…Rest his Soul.Herb

…Con’s stick-ons again/a re-make of course?Herb

…Well ? I’m waiting? Herb

I’m not making them for Larry. But, I’ll ask him tomorrow if he is.

No disrespect Herb, but that`s why I posted the phone number… Larry Block Enterprises, 1-805-583-0057. A quick search on Google also turns up a number of references.

Excellent Article on the CorkyCarrol/D.Nuhiw… Early 70’s Twin with pics. http://www.surfa.com.au/Content.asp?ID=303

…If he is I’d like to see them.Let me know,if he does,I would love to try them.Herb

Thanks for sharing, Hal! Surfa.com.au is interesting, but… statements such as the following immediately caught my attention: “ed note:- there have also been plenty of experiments with four and five fins over the years, but to date none of them have really proved any substantial worth.” (Fin Facts Pt.1). In discussiing fin systems, apart from FCS and Red-X: “Ed note:- There are also plenty of new style of ?fin systems? being developed ? but as yet none of these have proven the worth, and ?expense? of commercial production.” (Fin Facts, The Verdict). (The History/Evolution, Twin Fin Facts): “The original ‘Twin Fin’ was developed in 1970/71 by US designers Corky Carroll, Mike Eaton, Rolf Arness and David Nuuhiwa. The Fins on these boards were, 5 to 7” high with a 4" base, and generally George Greenough designs. The most of these boards were focused around ‘Kneeboard’ designs and did not take off as a commercial board design. Placement of the fins was ‘crudely’ underdesigned… The mid 1970’s saw the Fish Tail design by Steve Lis (USA), which incorporated the use of the Twin Fins as per the 1971 models, but improved wtaer flow off." Also surprising… George Greenoughs profound influence on Australias top wave riders and shapers was either minimized or completely ignored, circa mid-1960s to early 1970s, via his wave riding philosophy, advanced abilities as a surfer, board and fin design, and well as a filmmaker - photographer. Unfortunately many other details were open to question. That was strange because a careful examination of Surfa.com.au s historical source material often contradicted their conclusions. I sincerely hope this is simply a case of poor research/writing, and not historical revisionism... which is how much of the text reads to me. IMHO, anyone whos serious about investigating Australian surfing history, and its influences, drawn from a wide range of chronological evidence, should also check out these two outstanding Australian resources: (www.surfresearch.com.au/boards.html), “Surfresearch - Pod for Primates” (http://www.legendarysurfers.com/), “Legendary Surfers - A Definitive History of Surfing’s Culture and Heroes”.

I just got off the phone with Larry and unfortunately, he does not have anymore of the Con stick on fins nor does he know who has the mold now. Sorry.

…WOW,he had some of the old Con jobs.I used them back in the 70s with a few select riders,lost or broke all of them eventually…now a collectors item for sure.If he gets anymore and you hear about it,let me know,please or have Larry email me directly. …I was really hoping someone else was make them or a newer version of them,guess I have to wait.darn…Thanks Tom,you always come thru for me,you’re a Stand-up Guy IN MY BOOK! Herb