entering the water near sealions

Swaylockians, When I consider what happened at Avila recently it seems to me that whenever there are sea lions in the water and I’m thinking about going in near them I’ll think otherwise. There’s no better target than a lone sea lion that’s off by itself and moving kind of slow. I’m sure I’d look somewhat like one from below. A straggler in the ocean never lasts whether it’s a minnow or a whale. If there’s a big guy in the gray suit around a dawdler could get ugly, red and dead real fast unless fortune is on its side, regrettably nothing can buy off calamity though some can see it coming. No Worries, Rich

food chain blues , got them mean ol food chain blues … the lady that spread the peanut botter on the kids faces to photograph the bears licking it off… that was at yellowstone wasnt it?75 yards off shore? truely upsetting for the shark as well he thought he/she was gonna get somting that tasted more like seal… neophrene is not tasty at all…poor kids uphill battle to overcome psycic scars blocking enjoyment of ocean waves… there but for fourtune go …may she reincarnate a wiser organism … no mom you cannot swim with the stellar sea lions and thats it!

food chain blues , got them mean ol food chain blues … the lady that spread the peanut botter on the kids faces to photograph the bears licking it off… that was at yellowstone wasnt it?75 yards off shore? truely upsetting for the shark as well he thought he/she was gonna get somting that tasted more like seal… neophrene is not tasty at all…poor kids uphill battle to overcome psycic scars blocking enjoyment of ocean waves… there but for fourtune go …may she reincarnate a wiser organism … no mom you cannot swim with the stellar sea lions and thats it!

A frind of mine claimed to have seen a large (like two feet tall) dorsal fin at Jalama on sunday.

A frind of mine claimed to have seen a large (like two feet tall) dorsal fin at Jalama on sunday.

Another thing to consider. I’ve seen sharks following schools of dolphins, especially during baby season(pups,calves??) so anytime you see dolphins, or seals, you got to figure there’s a predator near. Makes me nervous at Moss Landing and Manresa when a school passes by within a few yards of the line-up. What’s following them???

Another thing to consider. I’ve seen sharks following schools of dolphins, especially during baby season(pups,calves??) so anytime you see dolphins, or seals, you got to figure there’s a predator near. Makes me nervous at Moss Landing and Manresa when a school passes by within a few yards of the line-up. What’s following them???

Hey Gary, I may be wrong but I think Dolphins cruz at about 15 to 25 knots depending on what they’re up to and where they’re going. I don’t think those big toothy critters with the doll eyes work at much over 5 to 10 knots. I think they’d have to work too hard to keep out with a pod of cetations. Maybe some marine biologist would be able to tell us the real story. Some how dolphin have always made me feel safe in the water. One of my surf buddies said he shared a wave with a couple dophlins on Monday and that he did a maneuver that he’s never done before as a result. There’s always a happy accident too. I happen to me in the fin shop the other day. The new “C” foil looks sick! stay wet, Rich

Hey Gary, I may be wrong but I think Dolphins cruz at about 15 to 25 knots depending on what they’re up to and where they’re going. I don’t think those big toothy critters with the doll eyes work at much over 5 to 10 knots. I think they’d have to work too hard to keep out with a pod of cetations. Maybe some marine biologist would be able to tell us the real story. Some how dolphin have always made me feel safe in the water. One of my surf buddies said he shared a wave with a couple dophlins on Monday and that he did a maneuver that he’s never done before as a result. There’s always a happy accident too. I happen to me in the fin shop the other day. The new “C” foil looks sick! stay wet, Rich

Great Whites move a lot faster than 5-10 knots, dude. Try 20 or more. They are fast animals. Good point about swimming with sea lions and appearing to be the slowest one of the bunch (because you are). I have an idea. I’ll get some black and white striped fabric and dress up like a Zebra and play in the Savannah of Africa. Then, when all the zebras take off, I’ll kind of jog along and see what happens. DUH! Swimming with dolphins is one thing, but sea lions? Heck, not only are the not friendly, but they bite too. Of course, to be on the safe side, don’t surf north of Point Conception. If you do, you are taking your chances. I wonder if the shark is seriously confused by now. “I always thought those chubby things tasted really good, but that old skinny one tasted like rubber or something. Reminds me of a tire I ate when I was a kid. Maybe one of the fatter ones on the longboards will taste better.” Just proves that evolution isn’t perfect. The shark isn’t perfect like scientists want to think. I say, Kill em all. They are monsters. Kill em all.

Great Whites move a lot faster than 5-10 knots, dude. Try 20 or more. They are fast animals. Good point about swimming with sea lions and appearing to be the slowest one of the bunch (because you are). I have an idea. I’ll get some black and white striped fabric and dress up like a Zebra and play in the Savannah of Africa. Then, when all the zebras take off, I’ll kind of jog along and see what happens. DUH! Swimming with dolphins is one thing, but sea lions? Heck, not only are the not friendly, but they bite too. Of course, to be on the safe side, don’t surf north of Point Conception. If you do, you are taking your chances. I wonder if the shark is seriously confused by now. “I always thought those chubby things tasted really good, but that old skinny one tasted like rubber or something. Reminds me of a tire I ate when I was a kid. Maybe one of the fatter ones on the longboards will taste better.” Just proves that evolution isn’t perfect. The shark isn’t perfect like scientists want to think. I say, Kill em all. They are monsters. Kill em all.

I’ve seen first hand sharks following the schools. Worked on 48ft trawler. Dolphins don’t cruz full speed all the time, In fact, I’ve observed schools of dolphins out at sea that swim only fast enough to avoid sinking, especially at night when they will pull-up into tight groups for protection with the big males swimming at the rear to keep an eye out for the toothy guys following them who are just waiting to pick off a weak dolpin or a baby. Happy dreams.

I’ve seen first hand sharks following the schools. Worked on 48ft trawler. Dolphins don’t cruz full speed all the time, In fact, I’ve observed schools of dolphins out at sea that swim only fast enough to avoid sinking, especially at night when they will pull-up into tight groups for protection with the big males swimming at the rear to keep an eye out for the toothy guys following them who are just waiting to pick off a weak dolpin or a baby. Happy dreams.

You have no idea what happened out there. The woman was a long distance swimmer working out. Maybe she swam into a bait ball or the seals started swimming with her rather than the other way around. The happens a lot up there. Geeze, have a little respect for her and her family…

You have no idea what happened out there. The woman was a long distance swimmer working out. Maybe she swam into a bait ball or the seals started swimming with her rather than the other way around. The happens a lot up there. Geeze, have a little respect for her and her family…

Granted, the highest percentage of attacks on the west coast have occurred in the “Red Triangle” but any time you enter the water, virtually anywhere in the world, you are at risk… Global Distribution (by Zoogeographic Region): Central Pacific, South Pacific, Western Pacific, Temperate Eastern Pacific, Tropical Eastern Pacific, Peruvian, Western North Atlantic, Caribbean, Argentinean, Eastern North Atlantic/Mediterranean, West African, Southern African, Madagascaran, Arabian, Southeast Asian, Western Australian, Southeast Australian/New Zealand, Northern Australian http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/biosketch.htm

Granted, the highest percentage of attacks on the west coast have occurred in the “Red Triangle” but any time you enter the water, virtually anywhere in the world, you are at risk… Global Distribution (by Zoogeographic Region): Central Pacific, South Pacific, Western Pacific, Temperate Eastern Pacific, Tropical Eastern Pacific, Peruvian, Western North Atlantic, Caribbean, Argentinean, Eastern North Atlantic/Mediterranean, West African, Southern African, Madagascaran, Arabian, Southeast Asian, Western Australian, Southeast Australian/New Zealand, Northern Australian http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/biosketch.htm

Lee, I think no one means disrespect. Human nature to try and figure out what happened and why. Especially when we put ourselves in harms way a couple of times a week. I live and surf in the “red triangle” and am a open ocean swimmer myself and try to limit my exposure to danger by identifying “risky” conditions, whether it be Seals (I avoid swimming at Lane and Rockview when seals are present), otters, fishing boats cleaning their catch on the way in, sewage/river/creek outfalls I have been in similar situations to that which lead up to yesterday’s tragedy and her death has deeply affected my desire to swim open ocean again. I doubt I’ll ever swim around the pier here in Santa Cruz again.

Lee, I think no one means disrespect. Human nature to try and figure out what happened and why. Especially when we put ourselves in harms way a couple of times a week. I live and surf in the “red triangle” and am a open ocean swimmer myself and try to limit my exposure to danger by identifying “risky” conditions, whether it be Seals (I avoid swimming at Lane and Rockview when seals are present), otters, fishing boats cleaning their catch on the way in, sewage/river/creek outfalls I have been in similar situations to that which lead up to yesterday’s tragedy and her death has deeply affected my desire to swim open ocean again. I doubt I’ll ever swim around the pier here in Santa Cruz again.

I would think a great white could probably make 25 knots in a burst. A dolphin can probably make 35 or better. It’s not the speed they cruise at. Certainly all species vary the speed they move according to the conditions. My reference was to S.C. Gary’s comment about sharks tailing along behind a school of dolphins. My thought is that normal cruising speed for a pod of dolphins is much faster than that of a great white. Now makos are another matter entirely. These are open water feeders that can swim at incredible speeds. They frequented Monterey bay many years ago according to the old time commercial fisherman I know but none have been seen in the bay in many years. The same is true of giant blue fin tuna. There used to be a population of them here too. Certainly anything is probable in the sea, but unfortunately these days less and less is happening because of the dwindling population of sharks and many other important species and the resurgance of others. There used to be a lot smaller pinaped population in central California. From the 1940s until the 1980s the pinaped population was controlled at sea by the 12 gauge. That’s a thing of past; the fines are huge for shooting sealions now. Good or bad, special interest groups and environmentalists took care of that and will continue to influence and artifically balance the marine species for the forseeable future. Now that the pinaped population is recovering great whites find more to eat in these parts and thus the risk of attack increases. One thing is for sure; the distant swimmer who was killed made a choice. It was a risky one the consequences of which will leave a permanent mark on her family and all of her friends. It is a saddening thing for any sensitive waterman. Killing great whites is against the law. One is simply not allowed to fish for them. Most of what goes on beneath the seas surface remains a mystery, but a good waterman is an informed one. When you stop to consider that there have only been 10 recorded deaths by shark attack on the California coast relative to the number of people in the water these days we’re not doing so bad. Gone Fishin’, Rich