Evo and Nano builds in progress

Havent been on in a while. Just started working on two more boards- Another Evo for a friend (this is now my third build of this style board and I am really enjoying them) and a Nano style board with Evo bottom contours and a double diamond tail (full on experiment as this one is stringerless and will be my first build to use a carbon strip on the bottom).

The Evo is 5’9" x 20.25 x 2.65" nose and tail 16.2" Vol 36 Ltrs

The Nano (stringerless) is 6’ x 20.5 x 2.75 Nose 15.5" tail 16" Vol 39 Ltrs

Each will have 5 fin setup. Was so good to get back in and mow some foam. Good times in the shaping tent! Glassing soon… any tips on the carbon strip for the stringerless?

1 Like

Very nice!

In regards to the evo bottom contour, is the bottom flat to the rail, outside of that single-quad in the middle?

Thanks 

The Evo has a substantial single concave through the board. The double inside of it runs from nose to tail. I have made my inside double concaves a total of 7" wide. 3.5 on each side of the stringer and it seems to work well. It also aligns with the rear trailer quads fins. The double concave then subtly blends into the quad about 12" out from the tail.  

I used a differnt set of tail channels on the Nano but incorperated the same double insed concaves as the Evo. I didnt start them at the nose though- started about 24" back and blended into the rest of the design.

Clint

Made a little more progress on the Nano bottom contours and tail. Yes I am aware that the bottom looks nothing like a regualr Nano! I couldnt help myself and incorperated the bottom contours from the Evo and elsewhere. I am also working out the carbon strip on the bottom. Any tips from those of you habe done the carbon in the past? I know it can be tricky. Getting the thickness of the carbon down even and getting it tight and straight seem to be the key. I will start reading in the archives.

Trippy. Hippy 

For strips i like to slightly cut foam with sandpaper block up to have strip that fit in. Then i laminate strip first.

Lemat,

Thanks for the input. I have been reading the archives about carbon strips and got all kinds of back and forth regarding the best way to go about it. Some have said- Just throw it down and go. Others have said- cut it in like you stated… and I have read some other wacky stuff a swell.

My current Lam schedule for the Nano looks like this-

1. Carbon Strip the bottom first

2. 4oz glass deck patch that goes almost nose to tail but is only about 12-14" wide and tapered on both ends (hopefully to help keep the rocker from flattening out and stiffen the board)

3. 4oz regular bottom lam

4. 2 layers 4oz regular top lam

5. Hot coat, plugs, sand blah blah blah (havent decided on spray

6. Surf my brains out… or snap the ricketty thing in half! Ha ha, I am good either way on this build.

This isnt very fancy, but a science project for me non the less and I love learning how to incorperate new steps and techniques. Any thoughts? Or am I over complicating this build (very possible)?

McDing- Hippy Trippy is right… I am really enjoying making these boards (my therapy fo sho).

Thanks!

On stringerless 2 or 1,5 EPS go with 2 layer of 4oz on bottom without carbone strip. Easier to do and by far more effective. For top two layers too, lap on rails with a 4 oz foot patch at 45° between layers. Light and still durable build if blank prep correctly and light finish

Ha ha, Had you messaged me two hours ago… Na, man I would have put carbon on it anyway.

I just finihsed cutting in the placement for the strip and laying in the carbob- PICS BELOW.

Lemat- Is this what you had in mind? Now that I have the carbon in how would you differ the lam schedule?

I will say that I cut the little channels a touch to deep… oh well. It layed in pretty easy and wasnt to crazy to execute the process. This is my step by step pics.

Thoughts, input?? This is my first go at carbon so I am all ears to feedback and thoughts!

Here is the finished bottom carbon strip. One end I pre cut before lam (tail) and the other end (nose) I cut with razor after it partially hardened. In the future I will cut them all after like a cutlap! Much cleaner… duh. This was actually really easy to install… hopefully it actually helps this build. Next up… deck patch.

Any idea what the carbon will do for you?

All the best

It’s look clean, and no doubt will work. All in all it’s better for me to increase all bottom skin stiffness, with two layers of glass instead than just increase more one specific place. With two layers you fight better against localize buckling, common on bottom, and you have a stronger skin against dents.

Greg- I am hoping for some added stiffness and specific flex because there is no stringer… On this build I could be completely wrong(i.e. noodle)… thats why its my science experiment, and I am completely prepared to fail miserably! Ha ha

BUT- If I can attack it with a legit lam schedule/correct materials to make it hold up/give a unique flex I want to give it my best shot.

Lemat- Thanks for the follow up. Despite the fact that I have carbon down, you would still do (2) layers of 4oz on the bottom? I could add the second bottom layer (like full length patch) and NOT have it wrap the rails… maybe? I still plan on doing a streamlined deck patch and then (2) layers of 4oz over that. Ha ha More thoughts please! I dont have an issue adding the second bottom layer (if it will add real benefit). The board is insanely light sans stringer anyway.

Thanks for the input and feedback. I know this isnt a super visually appealing or “EPIC” swaylocks build like I have seen in the past but it has been a really cool experience for me to add something new into my process and receive input from you.

I see many EPS/époxy superlite stringerless with 2x4/4 and nothing more. Not durable boards but on général guys like how they feel. Ended by crease/bulke but often stay in one piece and still easily reparable. The fact is light EPS boards with stringer feel often stiff, chattery ?, heavier one less despite they are on fact stiffer. All is in dampen résonance of foam, the main difference between EPS and pu. With EPS stringerless is the way to go, juste need to find something to increase buckling strengh without increase overall stiffness to much.

Lemat,

Thanks for the follow up. I understand what you are saying. But, this is NOT EPS. It is poly and I am working to reinforce it so it doesnt simply just fold in half. 2 layers of 4oz over the carbon bottom strip seems like a solid idea. As I said before it is crazy light and i know it will require reinforcement.

Thought- Would two strips of carbon out toward the rails on the deck help or hurt? i.e. like Vulcan surfboards (Strips of carbon tapering to narrow points as they go toward nose and tail)?  

With one strip of carbon on the bottom (center line) running almost full length and two strips on the deck (out toward the rails) running 2/3 thirds length and tapering… I would think that would add plenty of stiffness through the center of this board without to much additional weight… Would there be problems with the opposing sides of carbon during flex… thoughts?

Keep in mind I am no pro (full on backyard scientist)! The carbon isnt difficult to lay out now that I have done it. But I dont know the first thing about making all of this flex appropriately with the additional materials. It may work out or turn into a rigid plank, or just snap and turn into a pile… So input is cool. As usual, thanks!

This is becoming a far more interesting build as I go.

What is your poly density?, strip or carbon increase stiffness. But as it’s strip it’s a local increase of stiffness that increase overall board stiffness but can help local problems to come. So if you want to had weight, juste laminate an other layer of glass on deck that lap on bottom, it’s an effective way to increase durability

Lemat,

The blank is an Arctic Green- Median density. None of that crazy light stuff.

I like the simple idea of just going with the extra layer of glass to stiffen it up. It makes sense to me. 

Nice work Clint! Looking forward to hearing how the channels feel when you are done.

So I threw down the deck patch yesterday. Almost full length. The pic is before I actually glassed it down. Patch is about 14" wide. Should make the top nice and sturdy…ish.

To finish the lam schedule I will glass two layers 4oz on the bottom and two layers 4 oz on top and call it good. Should be more than enough to keep it alive for awhile.

Time to ditch the cammies for a bit and take some hard earned leave. More to follow in a few weeks, happy holidays to all!