Fiberglass weave visible after hotcoat

Hi guys. I used 6oz fiberglass e-glass, bought locally from composite material supplier, to laminate my surfboard. After hotcoat, the weave are visible through the hotcoat. I have not sanded. Is this normal? Previously, i used 4oz bought from greenlights and after hotcoat i did not notice the fiberglass weave visible through the coat. I wanted to take a picture but my phone battery ran out.

Normal for run of the mill E in six ounce.

Personally, I like seeing the weave. That’s one of the reasons i prefer color in the resins instead of paint; because the weave adds texture to the color. But, different strokes.

Post a pic.

It could be normal - it could be a not so stellar lam.

Thanks Guys, Picture is attached.

The picture is taken right after hot coat. You can see the weave. By looking at it can someone please advise if this is normal?
I also noticed that 6oz fiberglass is much difficult to wet out than 4oz ones. I really had to work it around before it soaked in even though large quantity was spread on top.

Looks purple with dots?

Did you tint the lam?? -

Also looks like Eps foam??

Some spots looks a bit dry(but that could just be a camera trick)

Looks normal - like maybe a not so good color job maybe??

I’m looking through a phone so it’s a bit hard to tell.

epoxy + fibreglass has a natural silvering to it, is more noticeable on 6oz and when using darker colours

Tint job was not what i hoped for. Found out from swaylock that eps do not go well with darker tints. Found out after the fact. Is there a link somewhere that says which colours to avoid? If i used opeque pigment, will it still have problems like tints? I plan to do a green opeque swril with black and white on my next board.
I did an olive green tint on one and the color was still not what i hoped for. pic uploaded

Hi Zackoopmn. Could you be kind enough to share a picture of the weave on your board? Thank you.

I like to incorporate the textures of the materials I use in the cosmetics. Trying to eke out the look of a translucent PE tint over PU using epoxy and EPS is a fool’s errand, IMO.

I only did it a couple times, but one color scheme I did with EPS was use a colored slurry and sand it back to bare foam so that I ended up with colored flecks against the white foam - kind of a confetti look. Not my idea, by the way; I saw someone else do it and thought it looked kewl.

Another example is using VE resins, which have a brownish tint to them in a brown-based color scheme, such as VE over a wood veneer or in a brown-based abstract slob job.

Don’t fight your materials; embrace them.

nice pics but…

Hi Milan Chamling - Looking at the picture it’s hard to tell what you mean… is it that little patch of silvery weave just below the lighting reflection at lower right? If you sanded the laps before fillcoating it might have left some slight damage to the cloth - I’ve heard it referred to as “bruising” or “scarring.” One trick that might help next time is to tape off the apron as usual, brush or wipe a light coat of Xylene (if you can get it) over the exposed weave areas that got hit when you feathered out the laps, and immediately brush a baste layer of epoxy over the lap. As soon as the baste layer cures slightly, continue with the rest of the fill coat right over the baste layer. The Xylene is thin enough to get really get in to the weave and make it disappear. It may also thin out the epoxy just enough to allow it to penetrate the exposed weave a little better. The same trick works with polyester only Styrene is the stuff you want for that.

looks like the foam dust ( not blown off enough) + resin mixed up during lam over worked and made resin cloudy which it’s showing the grid of the cloth

Xylene isn’t available in California anymore. I looked on eBay and Amazon. The price varied from $20 to $50 a gallon. I got the $20.

i have same thing with “industrial” fiberglass, it’s come from non “clear” finish, hexcell “surfboard fiberglass” finish is silane 970 clear.

Hi Everysurfer -

And you got them to ship it to you? Lack of Xylene availability in California is what steered me away from Resin-X. That stuff just kicks too quick without it.

It took about a week for ground delivery, but yup.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BCOWYQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Sunnyside-Xylol-Solvent-1-gal/dp/B000LNQ85C/ref=sr_1_10?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1502682537&sr=1-10&keywords=xylene

HAHA - it says it right in the ad.