Fin Templates For Quad Fish

hi Chris !

when I try them , I’ll let you know

[twin wood keels , two bonzer side runners , and a third fin all looked weird at one stage too…to me , the canards STILL look weird , which is why I wanted to try them …to see what all the fuss is about , ya know ?]

cheers !

ben

True…there is only one way to find out…happy surfing

sorry to bump this up… but there is so much quad talk…

i don’t have access to all these fins down here in brazil. the best set up that i have found for all around use is(fcs plug based) G5, or Kfin leads, and longboard stabilizers in rear. i have switched to all g5 single foiled when it gets big - say over 2 meters, and tried double foiled also, but still prefer the smaller trailers. the fins being all the same size makes the board more like a thruster, and less skatey. the longboard side biters, are about 3 3/4-4" tall, and about 3 1/2" base. you can also try the curved fcs fins as leaders, to create the lift of the turbo style fins.

this is on a 5’10"x21 fish. fins set up as follows: lead 1 1/4 of rail to trailing edge, and 1/8 toe 4degre cant. the rear are 1 3/4 off rail, and 1/16 toe, about 2degree cant.

www.mckeesurf.com has all sorts of fin combos, and diagrams on quad set ups, and some videos.

good luck to all, and i think you will enjoy the fluidity of the quad. it is as fast as the twins, but much more secure in hollow waves. i’m hooked.

hi native !

The main reasons I use fcs plugs …availability , and easy to MAKE your own fins for them .

I will be trying LOTS of different setups in my 5’8 …

so far , I have tried …

single

bonzer3

quad

canard quad

...to be continued ....

cheers ,

ben

Quote:
Just finished.

so gill, how’s she go mate?

Launch date tomorrow (weather permitting). Will keep you posted.

some crazy setups there ben! good on you mate. but what, no winged-keels? c’mon man, set your inner cheyne horan free!

yep , nat ,

I got one …but it’s a SINGLE fin !

…my surf supplier has a small winged keel , wonder if I can make another one …

ben

These fronts:

With these trailers:

And I wanna hear how you like it :slight_smile:

Come on, now…I know you’re getting insane swell right now!

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Or maybe…you need a Velzy V fin to round things out…

psst…I got a v-fin, man, check it out

funny you should ask , fellow ben …

the front fins flex , [damn soft polycarbonates !]

the back fins are stiff [carbon fibre inlay on the inside].

I only rode this setup in ankle high closeouts , so hard to accurately tell anything , really …

I prefer the single fin setup , at the risk of sounding like singly-obsessive Josh […hehe kinda]

speaking of which …

I’m out the door , to paddle something more appropriate to these hot flat conditions … guess which one …

cheers !

ben2

Here’s my latest experiment for my quad. I still need to hotcoat the rear fins and figure out how to make a little recess for the grub screw. The last set of FCS I made I didn’t put a little relief for the grub screw to go into and it cracked the glass when I tightened it and the tab broke there. Created a stress riser at that point. Sucked, I really like the last set of fins too. Oh well, live and learn.

Chippy, now where are the reviews for each of those setups?

I’ve found my quads, by far, to be the hardest boards to dial in fins for. I’ve settled on the FCS G-CRV curved fins up front and longboard side-bites in the rear. I’ve been real happy with that setup, super loose and drivey in small crumbly surf, yet enough fin area to still hold in on bigger waves. Here’s a shot on my 5’10" quad from last hurricane season here in FL:

lawless: nice shot mate. looks like she goes!

great shot …how long is the board ? [and how pulled in is the tail ?

mate , how many layers of cloth did you put on the tabs for the fcs ?

On the wood ones [“canards”] I just made , I thinned the tab down to 1 ply of wood , and then glassed from memory 4 layers of 6oz either side , on each tab.

I have yet to drill out the relief hole for the grub screw …but when I do , I will fill the hole with milled fibre mixed with resin …the same stuff I used to install the numerous fcs plugs ! [drill the hole bigger than the grub screw , by the way , to allow a bit of movement leeway]

I hope that helps …

cheers !

ben

p.s. - yes , I’m probably getting ahead of myself here , with the photo posts of ‘quad fin setups’ …

I just haven’t had the waves to ride all these yet , [it’s OUR summer …just finished , actually ! …when waves all but disappear for three or four MONTHS ! …Hence why I’ve made and ridden a mal , this summer !]

… I mainly wanted to post up some options , so that maybe OTHERS could try these setups out “for me” [for everyone here who may be interested , actually !..and then YOU guys could report back to the forum , perhaps ? cheers !]…This is what I hoped for , also , when I posted the OTHER ‘templates’ threads …single fins , twin fins , twin keels …