finFoil v1.1 released

My favourite so far:
HARF-Tub-Fin-E168-132_2017-08-05.foil
http://finfoil.io/s/3D/b69di6sh94moemzpwnudngzpf13s7tye

HARF-Tub-Fin-E168-143_2017-08-05.foil

I have a question about how to use the ‘asymmetrical’ feature for side fins.
I think it might just be a bug, but the thickness is displayed differently for both sides when I modify the profile on each side in turn, trying to make it the same.
See screenshots. I just quickly made up this fin outline and imported a profile I made earlier, keeping the default thickness that finFoil started with.
First screenshot shows the scene before switching to ‘asymmetrical’.
The next two screenshots show side one and side two, the thickness should look the same, but does not.
So here are the questions:

1. Can I just ignore the difference in appearance between side 1 and side 2 thicknesses?
  2. Is there a way (in finFoil) to make an exact mirror image of the same asymmetrical fin, so as to make a left and a right fin that are exact mirror images?
  3. Or should I just use OpenScad to mirror the fin to be certain they are identical apart from being mirrored?

Thanks for any help with this, Mik

I don’t really know why you guys don’t share your files. Top secret? Patents and Next millionaire?

OK, back on topic

MrMik has shared files, pictures, and even fins…His progression through software, casting, and 3D printing has been incredible- showing what commitment can yield.

FinFoil is incredibly easy to use and powerful at the same time. It can be used for free, desktop or online. The ‘sawblade’ types are started using simple edits to the *.foil files with a text editor.

For me, tinkering with finFoil (and others like OpenSCAD, BoardCAD, Draftsight, Inkscape, etc…) is fun in between sessions of actually making fins, surfboards, t-shirts, etc… Getting files ready-made ‘clip art’ style could save some time but removes the mindful part of learning how to do it yourself.

1. Yes you can
  2. No
  3. That’s the idea, why would you create 2 different foil files for the same fin that is just a mirror?

finfoil is designed to create asymmetric profiles with the thick side one the top.
I know there is some confusion about that, but I didn’t figure out a good way to make that clear to the user.

The reason for this is that it is quite easy to mirror an image or 3D file outside of finfoil.

Thank you Hans!
Here is a little post to show how easy it is to make the mirror image of the fin in OpenScad. It took a few minutes of experimenting with how to mirror and how to rotate the result so that it ends up on the same fin base in the right position without much fiddling.
The finFoil file used is: http://finfoil.io/s/3D/3t581kd1omhauwacmmyqhy3rc1grhboj
The screenshot shows the left handed and right handed version of this fin on the same complex fin base, and the code to create the mirror image in OpenScad.
I have enlarged the fin to fit on that fin base but the code is not shown, so beginners don’t get confused which part of the code does what.
What is not shown are the many other lines of code used to prepare a variety of fins so that they fit on a variety of fin bases. Nor the various support systems required to successfully print the different fins.

The holes in the fins shown in this shot are an example of the sort of problem that needs to be fixed when fitting a new fin to an existing complex fin base.
It’s caused by the system used for making the fin base hollow and / or inserting rods to strengthen the fin and base combination.
The code shown in this screen shot also shows the enlarging of the fin.

Fin foil rocks!