First Time Gun Shaping

First time ever shaping a board and i decided to do a 7’3 gun need some tips on the rails and glassing? ~Mehalo~

-Z

Welcome LOL88,

You’ll need to give us more information. Best thing to do is do a word search for what you need to know. If you can’t find it ask specific questions just to narrow it down.

Have fun, this is a top site.

don’t skimp on the tail kick…

What da ya want to know?

We can’t read your mind.

a picture is worth a thousand words

whatever you do dont try to shape a Winchester repeating rifle,

or a Gloch,or a colt 45 unless it the one in the returnable bottle…

If you can get a pitcher for a thousand words I would call it a great deal…how long would it take to recite a thousand words?..ambrose…it would be cool to use the pitcher for water while you were reciting …

Well rails in general, i’m not to sure about what i’m doing with them. Also i’m worried about keeping the shape the same on both rails, how do u do that.

thanx

z

That’s an easy one: you shape one side, look at it closely, then do the same on the other side.

is that how they do it in France ?

well, I’ll be …

I can remember Mark Richards , when asked in an interview what he least liked about shaping replied , “having to get both rails the same”.

( that reassured me , in a strange sort of way …)

ben

Shaping rails, in France, goes as follows: first, you drink half a bottle of a good Bordeaux wine. Then you look at your blank and concentrate on what you’re gonna do to those rails. You drink the other half of the bottle to help you visualize that. You try and shape a rail but your hand is not quite firm so you decide to have a rest with Isabelle or Catherine or Valérie or… A few hours later, you come back to it but it’s very hot in this shaping-room so you open up another Bordeaux bottle. Then you take your planer but unfortunately the guys at the power plant are on strike, so it doesn’t work… So you go surfing instead…

Balsa, maybe we should produce the “European Master Shaper Series 2005 Harvest”…

Maybe we can trade some Bordeaux for spanish wine (or galician Albarino)… When i have to judge in France I always buy wine, paté, and D’aucy petit pois…

bordeaux wine… also called shaping fluid

Hi Coque, that’s a very good idea, let’s do that… Hey, you mentionned “judging in France” so I assume you are following either the European Tour or some other. Do you by chance know Esteban ROSES? He’s a very good friend of mine (we actually learnt surfing together ages ago) and has been involved with the EPSA for years as a judge and contest organizer. (Lives in Guéthary, like me, BTW)

Quote:

Shaping rails, in France, goes as follows: first, you drink half a bottle of a good Bordeaux wine. Then you look at your blank and concentrate on what you’re gonna do to those rails. You drink the other half of the bottle to help you visualize that. You try and shape a rail but your hand is not quite firm so you decide to have a rest with Isabelle or Catherine or Valérie or… A few hours later, you come back to it but it’s very hot in this shaping-room so you open up another Bordeaux bottle. Then you take your planer but unfortunately the guys at the power plant are on strike, so it doesn’t work… So you go surfing instead…

I wish I could be french and do as you say…

But…

Wait !!!

I AM FRENCH !!!

Come on Balsa, I’ll keep a good one for you (bottle of bordeaux), I’ll keep the girls for myself.

ok i’ll drink some wine and wing it

thanx

~z

also whats the difference betweeen Bondo Resin and Catalyst versuses regular resin and hardener used on boards?

thank

-z

Go around some shops ask the shapers . look and see . most people are helpfull.

Balsa, i don’t know personally Esteban, but i saw his name here and there as an active guy in the surfing comunity in Spain. I’m actually judging ASP Europe contest when my job lets me some free time.

I meet i young boy that was a french judge (maybe 50 y.o. or so), his name is Claude and i think he really enjoys good wine and he know a lot about it. A great guy to judge with, he always has good humor.

I don’t know if i’ll judge the longboard events this year in july, if i don’t i’ll be in France in august.

Catch some vagues for me there!

Coque.

See you soon, then? MP me when you plan to come around.

ya panda thats gonna be a problem though cuz the closest shop is over a hundred miles away. Also most dont have guns available.

Thanx~

~z