Foam colour fun. One way to make a crap blank look pretty

I’ll post a bunch of pics. Then do a blow by blow. Maybe someone else can get something out of it.

I was inspired by Willy Nicholas who sow rad foam “brush sprays” for mount Woodgee.

All of this was done with two colours of acrylic paint and thinned with metho. I think Americans call it denatured alcohol.

The metho evaporated fully from the blank leaving the thinned acrylic behind.

This is the first three pics you can see the graduations of blue and yellow in the tubs.

I started with the yellow first so the darker colours could cover over the lighter, if that makes sense.
Obviously the first green version had much more yellow than blue, and I added extra yellow to it.

Here is a bunch of pics

Anyway this is all cause of the state of the old foam, the asym came out pretty good. And the other one is pretty cool but a little busy but the potential is there. Just need to work on my artistic skills.

Very nice Adam. I have never heard of using denatured alcohol as a solvent for acrylic paint ‘wash’. How quickly does it dry?

An hour or so.

Have you ever tried “alcohol ink?”

Is that like when u get drunk and wake up with a tattoo?

Got drunk more than once in my youth but never got a tatoo…

I have not used alcohol ink but I got the idea from a guy who who was making a skate decks. He was staining this decks with printing ink in metho.

Any way I have some of these on other threads but this will do.

Bit of #gearboxsurf routing in the afternoon.

I maintain that routing out fin plugs is the most stressful thing you have to do when making a board.

The asym. Going for maximum drive off the twin toe side, with a more upright twin fin and some carving pivot with a spaced out rail quad on the heal side. So there should be no need to move the back foot up and back. But we will see.

The other thing is kinda a 5 fin set up based on the Hanalei/gearbox quad. For some reason the rear thruster fin seems to be too far from the tail. But I’ll trust it.

Feel free to discuss, maybe ask questions etc. Pretty sure this place is suited to discussions.

Sweet!

Thanks for posting this. I really liked the color work you did on these boards when you posted them before. Cool to know how you did it.

Always keen to share the knowledge to start conversations. Maybe too keen.

Cool stuff! Did ya seal the blank beforehand?

gonna try some streaks on my next one with this method

:slight_smile:

No I didn’t seal it, the metho evaporates out leaving a thin amount of colour behind, yew hope it works for ya.
stir it a lot

Really dig that asym outline. Paint job is killer as well. What’s the difference in length toe side vs. heel? Might just be the pictures, but it appears like a little more pronounced length differential than some of the other asym boards I’ve seen around. Also, what did you base your fin placements on? Did you treat each “half” of the board separately and place the fins accordingly?

Awesome stuff. Been lurking around on here for a little while and always enjoy seeing your projects.

Just a thought… If this were to be glassed with epoxy, will the alcohol react with epoxy? With poly, it probably wouldnt matter.

No, once it’s dry there isn’t any alcohol left. Just pigment and acrylic binder. It’s a pretty smart idea.

you can thin out epoxy with alcohol so it wont effect it.

Nice job on matching the covers.