Glassing thread, with lots of difficulty ;-)

If there is a herd way to do something, I’ll try it.

So this one started with a snapped blank. I didn’t take pictures, because it’s all been done before.

The first layer of fabric was 2 oz. Cerex non woven nylon. Wet out on a table, draped on the blank, and into the vacuum bag.

No pictures, because I was lazy, and wasn’t planning on posting it.

I laid down some twaron roving. One inch apart. Held in place with some masking tape. Then mixed up some epoxy, fast cure. Then with a small throw away brush, wet the roving.

Wait For the cure.

Here’s what it looks like

Then I filled in with epoxy/ micro balloon. By volume 1 part epoxy, 3 parts balloons.

Of course, you mix part a and part b together before adding the micro balloons. Otherwise the two parts won’t mix together.

Sand it smooth, taking care to not damage the twaron.

On the bottom, I took off the tape, and covered the rails too

At this point, you might be asking why.

Think of the skin as a sandwich. First layer of cloth, then the twaron/ micro balloon bulker, then the top fabric. The thicker the stronger. And the thicker, without adding weight, is better still. Then on top, think about the twaron like rebar in a concrete slab. It holds the elastic nylon and epoxy from stretching and tearing.

Then do the deck. But differently. Leave the tape on the rails. This will make a small step, where you do your cut lap. All flush and beautiful.

The twaron wetted

Trimming the cured twaron

Trimming more

Fresh tape put back on to make the cutlap step

Ready for microballoons

After microballoons

I don’t know what the blazes is going on here, but I like it.
Just to confirm, was this out of a snapped blank? Did you glue in a new stringer? How did the blank snap?

Looks great.

I envy your patients!

I see where I goofed on my first post. It was supposed to say shaped blank, not snapped blank. I hate autocorrect on my phone!

The blank was new. I’ve glassed them like this before. Some are years old. It makes them really strong and still light weight.

An impressive, well thought out approach. With the operative word being thought. Not the first time you’ve impressed me with your techniques.

Thickening skin is the key to improve breaking strengh and dent strengh.

love it. but what is this yellow stuff? is yellow the new green?

all the best

Yup, auto paint masking tape. Cheaper than the green.