Greenough kneeboards &Hulls

Anyone know shapers who are making kneeboards and surfboards similar to those that george greenough used to ride, with the round bottoms (i think he used to call them hulls). Thanks

Anyone know shapers who are making kneeboards and surfboards similar to > those that george greenough used to ride, with the round bottoms (i think > he used to call them hulls).>>> Thanks You can try Paul Gross (pauldgross@earthlink.net).I just picked up two new hulls he shaped for me. If they work as good as they look, or as well as any of the 8 other P.G. boards I have, I’ll be smiling for years to come! Paul does not shape on a full time basis. He does them in batches. Best to check in with him by e-mail.

You can try Paul Gross (pauldgross@earthlink.net).I just picked up two new > hulls he shaped for me. If they work as good as they look, or as well as > any of the 8 other P.G. boards I have, I’ll be smiling for years to come!>>> Paul does not shape on a full time basis. He does them in batches. Best to > check in with him by e-mail. Also: Bob Duncan at (http://www.wildernesssurfboards.com/): “Original home of George Greenough Designs, Wilderness Surfboards founded in Santa Barbara, in 1966, by George Greenough and Michael Cundith, simultaneously started in Angourie, Australia, was at the forefront of the shortboard revolution creating the most innovative single-fin concept-the Wilderness Stubbie. Joining Wilderness in the late 1960’s was Richie West, Dan Hazard, and present day owner and designer shaper, Bob Duncan. Wilderness has operated at its present location at 317 South Alisos St. in Santa Barbara since 1970. After trips to Hawaii in the 1970’s, and constant trips to Mainland Mexico and Baja, longer, faster board designs evolved, improving upon the basic Greenough designs in board and fin, flex and foils integrating the completely original Greenough bottoms. Our custom fin design, flex and foil is now produced by True Ames evolving into the fin for the new century-the paddle fin. A Constant Evolution since the '60’s of Greenough foil and flex technology. Custom glasswork is performed by Bob Haakinson also located in Santa Barbara California. We continue to improve on our mid-range and longboard shapes, California’s original short board-The Greenough/Wilderness Stubbie, still available in single and three fins, and elusive custom kneeboards. Custom orders and stock boards available at the Beach House in Santa Barbara, the A-Frame Shop located at 3785 Santa Claus Lane in Carpinteria at 805.684.8803, ask for Sam or Rob, or by calling Wilderness Surfboards directly at 805.962.9518 or emailing us at (wilderness7@mindspring.com)”. — Greg Liddle at: (http://www.liddlesurfboards.com/index.html) “Origins: I began building custom surfboards in 1968 after doing surfboard repairs and selling Yater and Jacobs surfboards from my tiny shop in Woodland Hills, California. My first boards were long boards that were influenced by the surfboards that I rode at the time: Yater spoons and the very parallel outlines that Mickey Dora rode at Malibu in the early and mid 1960’s: Jacobs, Dave Sweets, Yater “Spoons” and Greg Noll “da’Cats”. Then came the short board revolution. I was particularly influenced by the designs of George Greenough after watching Nat Young surf Malibu on a Greenough inspired Keyo surfboard one day at Malibu “First Point”. I made some very crude versions of that concept but was enthused with this new approach to riding waves. Over the next twenty years I built everything imaginable, following the design trends that developed from the Australian and Hawaiian short board output. Myself and a few friends concentrated on the designs that were the offspring of that first Greenough inspired Keyo. We experimented with every aspect of the design, taking each to their extreme. Lengths down to 5’5”, thickness to almost zero; replicating in stand up form the spoons that Greenough rode on his knees. We tried very round bottom shapes, very thin tapered rails, very wide noses plan shapes. We moved the wide point forward and back, from a foot or more ahead of center and then slowly back depending on the length of turn desired. The results, depending on the individual was an array of outlines that were appropriate for each at the surf spots they most frequented and their physical style of surfing. The extreme shapes designed for the down the line surfing in California point surf, particularly Malibu were not easy to ride because the rail turning style had to be conciously developed. The natural tendency is to pivot turn off of the back foot and these boards were full rail turning machines. Stand forward, lean over and push off both feet to drive them down the line. The results and feeling of that style of surfing, for us were very rewarding and unique. So for those twenty years the boards which I choose to call “displacement hulls”, short for “transitional volume displacement hulls”, became refined, sophisticated and very efficient in the surf they were designed to ride best… the small point surf of California. I moved to Hawaii in 1991 and had to adapt the California based designs to Hawaiian surf. I added length for better paddling, added some volume, narrowed the outlines and extended the nose rocker. The results were a more versatile design that would ride a variety of surf, from knee high to several feet over head. The boards still retained the “hull” feeling; down the line trim speed, smoothness and added easier wave catching ability. They catch waves very easily relative to their length because of the volume, hull and overall design concept. I am still shaping and riding these designs today. I am offering several outlines in various lengths that should cover a large range of surf and satisfy those who want to experience the feeling of the “displacement hull” in the waves they ride." “I simply enjoy making the type of surfboards that I have learned to love and ride.” Greg Liddle (gregliddle@liddlesurfboards.com), (hollow@hawaiian.net)

You can try Paul Gross (pauldgross@earthlink.net).I just picked up two new > hulls he shaped for me. If they work as good as they look, or as well as > any of the 8 other P.G. boards I have, I’ll be smiling for years to come!>>> Paul does not shape on a full time basis. He does them in batches. Best to > check in with him by e-mail. Proneman- i believe we know each other.how did the glass job come out on those 2 new boards? matt

Anyone know shapers who are making kneeboards and surfboards similar to > those that george greenough used to ride, with the round bottoms (i think > he used to call them hulls). If you want a Greenough spoon,Paul is the man, but expect to pay about a month’s income on one.Paul worked side by side with George for years and in fact built a couple of George’s personal spoons->>> Thanks

Proneman- i believe we know each other.how did the glass job come out on > those 2 new boards?>>> matt Hey Matt, Yea, the glass jobs look fine to me. I am going to let them sit for 2 weeks to cure. Did you have Anderson glass your new board? Thought I might see you at some spot along the way to Rincon today. Looked a little bumpy. Rincon was head high and pretty clean with an agressive crowd. No surprise there I guess!! Hope to see you on some low tide, north wind, head high kinda day. Proneman

Hey Matt,>>> Yea, the glass jobs look fine to me. I am going to let them sit for 2 > weeks to cure. Did you have Anderson glass your new board?>>> Thought I might see you at some spot along the way to Rincon today. Looked > a little bumpy. Rincon was head high and pretty clean with an agressive > crowd. No surprise there I guess!!>>> Hope to see you on some low tide, north wind, head high kinda day.>>> Proneman I was out and about sneaking into a few fun ones.As for my board? Well it and the simmons board are en route somewhere,hopefully to the right place! I really liked those boards PG made for you…See ya on one of those days! Matt

Just got out of the water after riding a 9’6" Wilderness/Greenough edge board that I picked up yesterday. After selling my old 8 footer, which was basically too small for me, I had wanted a new one from Bob Duncan. This one was used but fit the bill. It is not the typical round hull design - it features dual concaves and an edge under the rail. Bob still makes them under the Wilderness label and IMO it is still 100% valid. See Dale’s post re: Wilderness Surfboards

Just got out of the water after riding a 9’6" Wilderness/Greenough > edge board that I picked up yesterday. After selling my old 8 footer, > which was basically too small for me, I had wanted a new one from Bob > Duncan. This one was used but fit the bill. It is not the typical round > hull design - it features dual concaves and an edge under the rail. Bob > still makes them under the Wilderness label and IMO it is still 100% > valid. See Dale’s post re: Wilderness Surfboards Bob Duncan of Wilderness Surfboards more than deserves every bit of credit that he receives! Your new/old edge board: tri or single? Does it have George Greenough`s active “Paddle Fins”??? Dale

You can try Paul Gross (pauldgross@earthlink.net).I just picked up two new > hulls he shaped for me. If they work as good as they look, or as well as > any of the 8 other P.G. boards I have, I’ll be smiling for years to come!>>> Paul does not shape on a full time basis. He does them in batches. Best to > check in with him by e-mail. What did paul shape for you this time? I saw the gun he did for you this spring, amazing! what did you do about the glass job?

Dale - It has glassed on side fins and a center box. By “paddle fins” do you mean the cutaway style similar to Johnny Rice’s? This one has conventional looking side fins. They are however unglossed which I assume is to allow for easy modification? I’m very jazzed to have picked up such a unique stick that is more my size - this one’s a keeper!

Dale - It has glassed on side fins and a center box. By “paddle > fins” do you mean the cutaway style similar to Johnny Rice’s? This > one has conventional looking side fins. They are however unglossed which I > assume is to allow for easy modification? I’m very jazzed to have picked > up such a unique stick that is more my size - this one’s a keeper! Ask Bob Duncan at Wilderness Surfboards. Hes on the cutting edge of George Greenoughs Paddle Fin development translated to surfboards in the U.S. of A. Its something thats been passed around for years in Australia. Why is most of the Cali surf culture always so slow to pick up on whats really happening and functional yet so quick to swallow the latest mass-marketed worthless chunks of shit? Must be something in the water. cheers

And what makes it active? Yeast? Catalyst? Electricity? Thanks, Dale. Newbs

I have no idea.

And what makes it active? Yeast? Catalyst? Electricity? Thanks, Dale.>>> Newbs Paddle fin is another name for greenough’s stage six. Narrow neck with a bulby thang at the tip. I dont think of it as a cutaway fin. I define cutaway fins as a normal fin with a cut out section. The stage six is a different shape all together. What makes it active I think is tha presure on the paddle causing the neck to flex n’ load. First made on sailboards. Then surfboards.

Paddle fin is another name for greenough’s stage six. Narrow neck with a > bulby thang at the tip. I dont think of it as a cutaway fin. I define > cutaway fins as a normal fin with a cut out section. The stage six is a > different shape all together. What makes it active I think is tha presure > on the paddle causing the neck to flex n’ load. First made on sailboards. > Then surfboards. ?: So where can I get one…I looked around the net and 1) I don’t know what they look like, 2) no one advertises that they have them…I’ve left a message at True Ames about having one custom made but no response as of yet. Newbs

?:>>> So where can I get one…I looked around the net and 1) I don’t know what > they look like, 2) no one advertises that they have them…I’ve left a > message at True Ames about having one custom made but no response as of > yet.>>> Newbs Newbs: True ames makes and sells them as the Greenough stage vi.

The stage 6 Greenough fin is NOT the paddle fin. The paddle fin is still in development. [smile] http://www.trueames.com

The stage 6 Greenough fin is NOT the paddle fin. The paddle fin is still > in development. [smile] Thats correct. To get a better idea of what these fins actually look like: In The Surfers Journal, Vol.11, No.2, Late Spring 2002 (Dora issue) in an article called, “Solo Tracks” by Derek Rielly… on page 79, look carefully at the dark-colored thruster in the background to the right, laying by the exercise equipment. As was stated previously, for full details, contact Bob Duncan at Wilderness Surfboards: (http://www.wildernesssurfboards.com/), (805)-962-9518 or email: (wilderness7@mindspring.com). Or: True Ames Fins - 6409 Camino Vista Ste A - Goleta CA. 933117 Phone: 1(805)685-8341 - email: Chuck Ames at (trueames@trueames.com)

appologies, my mistake. I thought the greenoughs were the paddle fins. please enlighten this confused grasshoper.