?how and what is this beautiful resin tint?

Am i right in thinking that this resinwork has been done in the longboard on the left by laminating with green pigment, and doing a hotcoat in black, in the longboard in the middle, yellow lamination with grey hotcoat, and blue lamination with a white hotcoat on the board on the right?

(edited by moderator to embed photo)

It’s all done in the lam.  No hotcoat stuff going on there,  It’s all in the lam.  Do it the way you guys are talking about and it will look like some fifth grader doing a copy of a Rembrant.  But if you can get close using that method I’d like to see some pics.  Lowel

There are no tints on those boards. They are all opaque resin jobs. It looks like they purposely did sand-throughs in the hotcoats to expose the other color underneath.

Thank you SammyA.

so it is an opaque pigment used in the lamination, and a different opaque pigment on the hotcoat sanded through Would you need to use heavier glassing when doing this to avoid oversanding and leaving a weak board?

I guess it depends, “heavier glassing” than what?  Those are all longboards in the pic, so most likely they are glassed with at least 6 oz. cloth,  which (I would think) should be fine for this effect.  Most of the sanding appears to have been done at the rails where the glass is lapped, but if you were glassing with 4 oz. you would still want to be more careful.  You have to stop sanding, or at least exercise caution, once you see the other color coming through.

I think Feraldave has done a few in this manor,,

maybe he will cime in

my wife would say “oh, that’s shabby chic!

I kinda like the “weathered” look it gives.

I would venture to guess that it was two hotcoats using two different colors. Too big a risk of sand throughs just to get a “look”. And that would certainly fall in the realm of “shabby chic”. I’m going to guess these boards were made by tight pants wearing hipsters. They love that crap.

Hey Sammy, don’t be shy, its OK to tell us how you really feel!   :slight_smile:

Now that you mention it, that one on the right does have that “bleached blue jeans” look LOL.

I personally think the concept is kinda cool, but the actual execution of these particular boards doesn’t do much for me.  Probably due to the color combinations they used. 

Still, as an artist, I find the effect worth noting, and filing for future reference, might be fun to experiment a bit with it one of these days.  To each their own.

I think they are colored with opaque resin, and then painted. The paint is then sanded through to give this look.  This has become popular with production carbon fiber stand up paddle boards.  The idea there is that the carbon fiber lamination needs to be covered with a light colored paint to keep it from getting too hot, but the paint is sanded through to “show” the carbon.   Apparently if you pay extra for carbon fiber, it’s important that people can see it.  I don’t particularly like the look, but to each his own.  Creativity is the name of the game, and if this guy like 'em, good on him.

“beautiful”???  I think those are butt ugly. 

Johnny,

Those could be tints, opaque lams, or a painted board. It doesn’t matter. Lam or paint your board with a light color, hot coat with a darker opaque color. As you sand away the hotcoat the the lighter color beneath is revealed.

You want at least 6oz on the outside so you can sand thru a tiny bit and keep most of the strength. Also, the 6oz leaves spaces in the weave, you want the hotcoat to get in there so you get a grid effect. I also like a freelap for this, with lots of strings, the look is sloppy, so nuture the slop. Try blue hotcoat over white  lam for a nice '84 stonewash jean look!

Respect to the Aussies for coming up with this.

Thanks for all the input. I only really love the board on the right. If 2 hot coats were used, am I right in thinking it would be an initial blue lamination followed by 2 hot coats with the white opaque pigment?

artsy yes

but im going to have to agree with Kieth on this one

Shabby chic huh? i recently did my first pigmented board. I reckon it looks absolutely shithouse, but now i can say i did it on purpose. Hipsters aren't so bad after all

If as Sammy theorized there are two hotcoats, the purpose would be to sand through the white to get to the blue without hitting the weave and weakening the glass job.  Hence, the logical approach in that case would be one hot coat of blue, followed up with one of white.  You could lam with blue too, I suppose, but the point of two separate colors in the hot coat is that you could sand into the blue without weakening the glass.  If you don’t get carried away!

If the second color is paint, then sanding through to the first color would be much easier, with much less risk of going too far.  But you just have to make sure there are no bonding issues with the paint used.

Yes. If I wanted to get that look (notice I said “if”) I’d do two hotcoats for exactly that reason. Or, hotcoat the base color and spray paint the second, then sand. Paint would certainly make for easier sanding, and be less costly.

I believe you’re thinking of acid washed. Stonewashed just look faded, but have uniform color.

“Those acid washed jeans look really good”,

said no one, ever.

Not only am I a fan of this board, but I also love acid wash jeans. I acid wash my own in chlorine and cut them into shorts.

Not only am I a fan of this board, but I also love acid wash jeans. I acid wash my own in chlorine and cut them into shorts.”

Well then, that explains everything.  Now can we discuss where Jimmy Hoffa is buried?