?how and what is this beautiful resin tint?

One other option here. Lam with blue. Followed by one clear hotcoat. Then one white hotcoat (or paint coat). Limits burn through issues also.

I like the idea, not keen on the execution, but like the idea

If I were going to try to get that look, I’d chop up or otherwise mess up a brush or applicator of some sort and apply colored resin in the hotcoat. Maybe you’d get the distressed/messed up look without having to do sand throughs? I agree on the clear hotcoat first, then add your colors with a second, then sand it all for added effect and finishing.

I was doing this 8 years ago and nobody bought in. I have a furniture finishing shop and i was doing shabby distressed paint. (I still do it) Now the hipsters and train people are all trendy and in to it. Coming soon to dealer near you will be boards with flaking old paint and rusty steel fins. Don’t matter whether the shape is right…it’s all about the “look”. Gotta go…my beard needs a trim…my new Tattoos need to be seen…and my skintight jeans are just right. Not to mention my awesome blue plaid shirt and thiuck rim glasses. Fucking sheep. bleat bleat bleat. follow the flock.

I must be in a bad mood.

Ok heres a bad example ( Rembrandt:) but I did a similar thing a while back , Light blue lamination then a few patches of clear resin hotcoat and a top hotcoat of black opaque. Then sanded through the black where the clear underneath was thicker if that makes sense. Hard to control but I quite like the look when its done well, i like loose fitting jeans however:)

yeah I’ve seen it done that way and if that is what you are after it looks good.  But---------- The pics posted at the beginning of this thread were done in the lam…  Just remember that the first resin to hit the board wins,  But-------  Only where it hits the board.  And----------Opaques rule tints and clears,

Got a nice blotchy fade effect on my first teenage glass job when I used a blue tinted hot coat over a clear laminating coat.  A little aggressive sanding mighta got me close.  My friends and I referred to it as the “Blue Goose.”

Learned a lot about tinting from that experience.

you guys are too funny.   I didn’t even know what a hipster was.  Now I do.

So what I think i am going to do, as i want a heavy glass job on this board, is use 9.6oz cloth, laminate it with a blue opaque pigment, then do a single hotcoat with a white opaque pigment, and then hopefully it will look similar! The 9.6oz cloth makes me feel much more confident at reducing the risk of sand throughs! My only worry now, is that using the white opaque hotcoat over the blue hotcoat, it may not come out too white, with the darker colour being under. I think it is the only real way you can do it though, because the rails which would have been sanded more are blue as oppose to white. Unlike the other boards which I really do not appreciate, the lighter colour is ontop with the darker colour being sanded through. Thats atleast how I see it.

I agree.  If you look at that pic you posted, the white isn’t real white, to me it looks like you can see the blue through it, even in the unsanded areas.

Mcding,

red tint, black hotcoat.

I’m guessing the tight pants crew goes to see a lot of late night rock n roll shows and noticed how all the coolkids have “relics,”  guitars that are artificially aged to make them look like they were manufactured in the 50’s and have been on the road ever since.

The tight pants hipster crowd has a fondness for retro ‘off brand’ guitars, actually. Silvertone, Danelectro, etc. The uglier and crappier, the better.

$150 skinny leg jeans, $500 thick black frame designer glasses, $125 Pendelton shirt, $100 new slip on fraying tennies, new iPhone in the pocket, iPad in the Prius, $12 boutique beer six-pack in the fridge at home…“Hey man, think you could give me a bro deal on the board?”…

One guy says....this is awesome...how do you do it....

One guy says...this is ugly.....I did that years ago.....

too funny.....

Time for Jonnyshaper to shape and glass a surfboard.......

and ..............

I did a similar deal, non-hipster influenced though.  I stained my balsa compsand and then sanded it for the weatherbeaten look.  

lmao…

yeah, this has been done for ages, Zeph Carrig was the 1st i saw, with his hammajeng style. Saw a few of his earlier ones too, and they looked way better than these. Was he the 1st? Has it been done before, yeah but who cares…

hipsters… aw jesus, who cares anyway. Hey, they’re buying boards made by craftsmen, and one of the few “types” of surfers willing to actually PAY for it, that’s a win in my book. I hate all the kooks (and that means good surfers too) buying and riding Wavestorms, or other pop outs instead of hitting up craigs, or buying used, and saving that crap from the landfill, and possibly keeping shapers in a job…

I want to argue with my friend Lowel (aka Mcding)

all those boards have the same build pattern,,,, this is what I see

lamed with opaque color, both sides and cut laped on the bottom,

then the logos were added with a patch and clear resin,

then possibly basted with clear

then hotcoated with an opaque color

then sanded, the hi spots such as the lap and logo patch sand off unevenly leaving it looking like shit.

not all in the lam but a combo of lam and hotcoat

I would like to see the other side to those boards

Damm it Ken.....I told you not to let the cat out of the bag......Now everyone is going to build boards that look like shit.

No worries...John still needs to learn how to do a cut lap...and then he can advance to the Crapper........

Ray

chuckle chuckle,,,

merry christmas Rayman