How I Do G10 Fins

Here’s the playlist.

It’s completely unedited and raw.

I apologize, I am not a video editor.

But this is my process.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

I am not claiming to be any kind of expert but, I have made dozens of fins and at least as many mistakes and I hope I can help somebody avoid the same mistakes as me.

If you follow my process, you should be able to end up with some sweet G10 fins.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5M8m9ceJahtwCnv71eVkJ2psP9Yb8b0o

Well done Chrisp.I could almost smell that G10 dust watching you go at it. Mike

Thank you.  I’ve got soo much scrap cloth that I have decided to layup some panels for sidebites.  I occasionally set up a board Twinzer, but I also like to use the single tab FCS small fins like Rainbow and True Ames do as sidebites.  I’m sure you are completely used to a Jig Saw;  but you might be better served with a small band saw or a Scroll Saw.  I bought a bench top saw at Loews that is essentially a jig saw mounted upside down.  I forget who makes it or what it is called, but I’ll take a pic. of it tonite.  Works really great for fins etc. and was inexpensive.  If you think a Sroll Saw wouldn’t snap blades on that G10;  I’ll give you one next time I am in Calif. It’s a Delta and just needs a blade.  I think I’ve even got a blade around the shop somewhere.  You do enough of these fins that some type of bench top might be an advantage…  The only thing with a Scroll Saw is that if you get into too big a hurry you can snap blades.  I don’t think you would have to go any slower than you do with the Jig Saw.  It’s a personal opinion, but I think the fine toothed blades made by Bosch are the best.  Lowel

Yes. Well done. Lot’s to learn from you videos. 

BTW, Chris made a couple of pairs of twinzers for me and the look first class. I’m going to build a board around them for me. 

All the best

Put the guard back on your angle grinder.  It could save your life.

Thanks Lowell

I will take you up on that!

I found the carbide grit blades and a jig saw worked best for G10 fins. I ate up so many blades on my band saw cutting fins, even the fiberglass panels I layed up myself.
I've cut out 1/2" fins from G10 with the jigsaw and carbide grit blades.

That’s what I use.   It’s slow going, but it works.  

I use Chrisp. No band saw needed. 

All the best

Hahaha

What, that wasn’t a solitication?    Bummed

Ok I’ll bring it next time.  Sometime in late February.  L

A google image search of “Angle Grinder Accident” with safe search turned off will yield images that you will never forget.  Incredibly dangerous tool to use without the guard.

A 14 inch Sears bandsaw, with a carbide grit blade, will last a hobbyist a lifetime.       Blades are not cheap, but worth it if working with various composit panel materials, especially  G-10 or Micarta.

I took a look!      I so want to unsee those images.      I may have to poke out my mind’s eye.       OUCH !

Hey Chris- Watched your video’s over the weekend. Very Informative. It got me thinking about making my own fins as well since I seem to be breaking alot of the cheaper fins I use lately kiting @ A-Beach. A couple of ? ’ s for you:

Are you buying your sheets of G-10 local? Where?

Have you tried building any fins with a Futures base? How would you deal with the cant of the sidebiters?

Also, being in construction, I agree with what everybody says about the guard on your grinder. I,ve seen some knarly accidents when those grit wheels blow up. I know it’s a pain & reduces visibility, but better safe than sorry. However, if you would rather not use a guard, at the very least don’t use those composite grit wheels.Go buy a steel wheel with the diamond grit like the tile & masonry guys use. It won’t explode, but the diamond is typically only attached to the out outer 1/8" - 1/4". Home Depot & Harbor freight both carry them or your “peanut” grinder.

I have to look for one of those band saw grit blades. I prefer the way a band saw cuts, but not with the blades I have. I have a small Skill band saw and a large 14" model that uses 111" blades.

Right on Parthenon!

I buy my G10 from norvaplastics.com

I usually speak to a guy named Howard

His email address is heverton@msn.com

I have never tried doing Futures fin bases.

Several ideas on how to do it have crossed my mind but, it’s just easier imo to use FCS type boxes.

I didn’t know they made a carbide grit bandsaw blade.

That’s good to know