Joe Quigg surfboard found

Hello guys, been a while

I wanted to show you guys a few pics of a board I spotted in the yard of one of my customers.

At first I was’nt intersted as it looked in very sad shape. Then I saw there was a logo and I walked over to see if it was ledgable, Holy $hit I could read “Joe Quigg”

would anyone know if this board has a value? Its in pretty sad shape, the fin is still attached underneath 

Anything built by Quigg has value.

He was very influential and an excelllent craftsman but never self promoting so his work is somewhat rare. 

Rescue it!

If you are in so cal bring it to SHACC where I will see that it is added to our Quigg exhibit that opens next Saturday. 

BRAVO!

Thanks for that UncleGrumpy

Its not in my possesion but I may be able to pick it up

where is this SHACC

Im in north orange county

Hi Bill

howzit?

Ken,

Good to see you back here.      Grumpy’s right, rescue it.      I was passing through San Clemente on Thursday, and dropped by SHACC, and bumped into the Quigg exhibit as it was being set up.      As Arnold said, ‘‘I’ll be back!’’     It looks really good.

The owner I think justs wantd to sell it, Im not sure if carting it around is a good idea, it looks fragile. Bouncing down the road , not good

any idea of the value?

I’m not a serious collector, so would not pay much for it.      Does the owner have any sense of value?      The board does appear quite rough, but worth saving.       Jim Phillips has some experience with restoring some Quigg boards, perhaps he can offer some insight.

In that condition, I wouldn’t pay much more than a couple hundred. And that’s only because it’s a Quigg.

How much is he asking? If you do try to buy it, inform him that it will cost hundreds to restore it, and it’s current condition is pretty horrid.

Quigg was a very influential shaper who doesn’t get as much credit as he should. He was at the forefront of design in the late forties and early fifties. Creator of the “Malibu chip”, and also credited with being the first to use rocker, plus many other innovations such as the first board with a polyurethane core.

He built a 12 ft gun  for Buzzy Trent and Buzzy asked him for an “elephant gun”. It’s believed that this is where the term originated.

I was just looking to help the guy gt some scratch (money) for it

He wasnt aware of the Joe Quigg name. the board caught my eye and I thought the collective here might have some insite and be able to put a value on it.

the owner is not looking to restore it, only to sell if theres any value

yes it is quite rough

I agree with Sammy.       One or two hundred dollars, only because it is from the hand of Joe Quigg.

If there are any offers here I will let the owner know

I understand the roughness of the board is hindering a high value

the board is in Anaheim 

At least drag it outta the weeds and hose it off.  Used to see one of his boards around Ventura when I was very young.  Balsa tho.

That BIG GUN is part of the upcoming Quigg exhibit at SHACC. Opens Saturday 6-9PM

Bro!  I read the same article!

I thought Bill T did all that stuff first.  Hmm

now your’e just trying to stir up trouble

BTW, Hey Kenny, welcome back!  Does this mean we might have you back with us for awhile?

I told him to at least get it in the garage. He had a ton of antique sinks and fawcets laying around. 

he didnt seem too concerned about the board

the only value to me is what he offered if I found a buyer (half)

if its value is only 1 or 2 hundred Im not gonna put forth much more effort

Hard to say by the pic.  Has it got gaping open wounds?

Hey Huckster!

Ya I might be around for a bit

this board (Nuuhiwa fish board) recently came back to me as the owner had passed away, he was my veneer guy. His widow gave me the board back as it was causing major drama with his family, the brothers were fighting her for it, figures

BTW, I saw in the adds that you sold the controversial Retro Bolt.