Laguna Beach, CA

I am heading to Ca in a few weeks. I am staying over by Laguna beach. It is a work trip but I am looking for some areas to surf and or explore site see etc. This is my first West Coast trip. Trust me I won’t be invading the line up or secret spots. Is there any surf museums, board building tours etc.

I planned on surfing Huntington Beach, just because I feel it is essential. I am not packing any surfboards. I Found a place to rent boards. www.surfboardandbikerentals.com

Any recommendations?

Skip HB - go surf trestles unless your into mushy slop.

That shop is low end Chinese kookboards. Surprising because the ding repair part is top notch

Oh yea. Forgot about that spot. Thanks. Only half hour away too.

Is there any local places that will rent longboards?

Look at Quivers in HB. Or Board Club in Newport

Ok thanks. It’ll be a new experience. Can’t top our Rhode Island waves tho. haha

Terry senate in San Clemente usually has some decent rentals… and epic jokes to go along with em. About 10 minutes from trestles.

Crowds and kooks are in abundance anywhere in Orange County, coming from the east coast it will be a trip for sure haha.

I’m in Laguna. Contact me closer to your arrival. Killer Dana in Dana Point has long board rentals. Do you mainly longboard? I don’t surf Zooers but there are other spots.
Tim

Make time for a trip to the Surfing Heritage & Culture Center AKA SHACC, just down the road in San Clemente.
I work there as a docent; PM me and I will make sure you get the full tour.

http://www.surfingheritage.org/2015/12/surfing-heritage-exhibit-and-event.html
https://www.facebook.com/surfingheritage/

If you get that close, a visit there is a must. Lots of early period wood boards. You will leave with an much fuller understanding of the term ‘‘IRON MEN, ON WOODEN BOARDS.’’

I checked out Terry Senates website. Looks like a local shaper shop. I’ll have to stop by and support.

Captainsurf. Yes I mainly longboard. I have shortboards, but I don’t use them as much as my longboards. I guess it will depend where I surf and how the waves are when I am in CA.

Unclegrumpy. That is exactly what I am looking for. Surf culture. I like history especially when I can some how relate. Sounds like I will definitely be taking the tour.

I will pm you guys once I am closer. Thanks for all the info. I am looking forward to exploring Southern CA and learning about its culture.

That’s funny!!!
Warning, there is no Del’s lemonade or coffee milk in SoCal. You won’t find decent pizza, either.
Anyway, do not bother going north toward HB and the armpit of SoCal. Head south. Dana Point, San Clemente, and maybe even San Diego/North County are far better choices if you’re going to be near Laguna Beach. I would recommend a visit to the Birdwell factory in Santa Ana, but someone bought the company and ruined the brand.
I doubt they allow visitors anymore and I’m sure it wouldn’t be worth it, anyway.
Hell, go to San Onofre and check out the living fossils there.

You mean there’s no clamcakes and chowda?

Thanks. I’m thinking I will explore just that southern area.

Is Jim Phillips shop still in that area?

Right. You will not find anything even close to Aunt Carrie’s, or even the Bon Vue.
Not sure about your question Re: Jim. He’s a member here. Might chime in if he sees this.

Brooks Street, if there is a south swell.

Don’t know about pizza, but if you want a real burger, go to Biggies in town by the Stewart Shop. I like a double cheeseburger and my buds like the kingburger. Family run, a local legend. As for surf & spots, skip Trestles for longboarding. Go to SanO, maybe walk in to Church. (see surfline for all these spots) South go to Swami’s (won’t be breaking) to check it out then surf Pipes or Cardiff Reef. Campgrounds can be good to, but more crowded than Pipes. If you want to go north, surf Salt Creek. There are even a few SUPs there now and the local vibe is almost gone. PM me if you are going to Huntington. Great surf museum in town but not as good as Laguna. Forecast is for small surf two weeks out, contest madness should be over by then too. Check out Doheny too and Hobies & Infinity surf shops if you are headed north for a day trip. Lots to see and do, just got back from a day trip down there. (I’m in Long Beach)

Sorry, forgot Birds Surf Shed. If you visit one surf shop, this is the one! A history of So Cal surfboards will surround you. Maybe Bill has a board or two in there right now! Birds & Biggies!

My apartment is about 5 minute walk to the top of the trestles trail. I’d be happy to lend you one of my logs if you come down here. Also there is good pizza haha. Pizza port is great an have like 40 beers on tap or something

Thanks for all the recommendations. Sounds like there is a lot do in a short period of time. Birds surf shed sounds interesting. I definitely want to head down to San O.

Sammy A. Are you from RI? Bonvue is now a bistro. They really tried to upscale the bar into a restaurant.

thebuellster. Thanks for offering up your board! 40 brews on tap huh. Guess I’ll be stopping at Pizza Port.