Lightning Bolt dedicated to Bill Thrailkill

I had the privilege of Bill Thrailkill send me an original Lightning Bolt template from the 18 boards he made way back in a day. He called me to make sure I got the template and from there we became phone buddies, the stories of Hawaii back in the 50’s and 60’s and board knowledge he passed on to me will be forever etched in my brain. Bill’s humor and wit made for great 3 hour conversations, I asked him is he would consider ever writing a book to which he said he had 14 other people ask the same thing and no he wouldn’t. Don’t get mad at me Bill but after our phone conversations I am convinced even more you should write a book.

Bill here is the completed board, 8’ x 23" x 3 5/8" domed deck, Yellow pigment lam, hard rails with a little more nose rocker for Jersey. Thank you for all the input on making this a custom size for me.

I hope I did you justice.

Now call me tonight so I can hear more great stories and board knowledge.

Your Buddy Tom

Nice, Tom. How’d you do the red bolt? Paint on top of the hotcoat? Watch out for the trademark police :-).

Look at that shine Tom… i might need some shades if you bring that thing over. 

I wonder how something like that would work on a heavy day in Bayhead???  Would be really fun on a huge day at Manesquan Inlet. 

The Cleaners are getting on a plane from the North Shore for sure.  I'd go into hiding.......

I wonder what the owner of the lightning bolt label would think of you using their logo on your board? Just sayn but it is nice. Since they are still in business

…hello man, looking good from here.

Where did you found such thicker plug?

an oldy one perhaps?

thanks

Very sharp, Tom. Really nice work!

well, since the rest of the Jersey crew has chimed in, let me also compliment you on a really impressive job!

don’t fear the guys from the islands…they would never come here in the winter

Awesome board, awesome artwork! Never saw a lightning bolt as a logo! Please let’s not go there again!!

If Bill Thrailkill does ever write a book…I’ll buy it for sure! Unfortunately there’s just not enough historical information out there for our sub culture…surfing…let alone…surfboard building. He would be the right guy to do it! That’s for damn sure! 

C’mon Bill!

I don’t see a lightening bolt logo, I see a Mahady Logo with a lightening bolt behind it.  Just sayin’.

Absolutely beautiful board, a great story to go along with it, and the ball busters still have to chime in.

Well, I went to the U.S. patent and trademarks office website
http://www.uspto.gov/#

and used (TESS) to search both live and dead trademarks
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=i8jopr.1.1

and found some interesting things regarding trademarks and surfboards.
It would appear that the simple use of a lightning bolt image is not in violation
of anyones trademark related to surfboards.

1)searched ‘lightning bolt’
words are associated with goods and services related to clothing.

Expired for wetsuits related to a broad category of water sports.

Expired for pendants,bracelets, certain jewelry.

LIVE:
the words ‘Lightning Bolt’
Goods & Services: surfboards; windsurfing boards; skateboards; kneeboards; wakeboards; skimboards, snow skis; snow ski poles; water skis; volleyballs; baseballs; softballs; tennis balls; basketballs; golf balls; footballs; soccer balls; paddle balls; baseball bats; tennis rackets; paddle ball rackets; and toys, namely, board games; toy cars; beach balls, kites and wind socks. FIRST USE: 19711201

Here is another current one:
Word Mark LIGHTNING BOLT Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Eyeglasses including sunglasses. FIRST USE: 19980600. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19980600
IC 014. US 002 027 028 050. G & S: watches. FIRST USE: 19980600. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19980600
IC 024. US 042 050. G & S: towels. FIRST USE: 19980600. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19980600
IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: T-shirts, footwear and caps. FIRST USE: 19750701. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19750701
IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Skateboards. FIRST USE: 19770700. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19770700 Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS----note words with design logo are trademarked.

searched ‘surfboard’ and found all surfboard companies with both current and dead trademarks:

found Dick Brewers wreath trademark expired in 1983

Word Mark DICK BREWER SURFBOARDS Goods and Services (CANCELLED) IC 028. US 022. G & S: SURFBOARDS (NOT MOTORIZED). FIRST USE: 19700430. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19700430 Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS Serial Number 73082723 Filing Date April 5, 1976 Current Filing Basis 1A Original Filing Basis 1A Registration Number 1049128 Registration Date September 28, 1976 Owner (REGISTRANT) Brewer; Richard A. UNKNOWN Honolulu HAWAII
(LAST LISTED OWNER) RICHARD A. BREWER UNKNOWN 1732 KAPIOLANI BLVD. HONOLULU HAWAII 96814 Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE “SURFBOARDS” APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN Type of Mark TRADEMARK Register PRINCIPAL Live/Dead Indicator DEAD Cancellation Date February 22,1983

Thank you guys for the kind words, I made this board in honor of Bill Thrailkill and for my personal use only, I hope the above article sets minds to rest. Jamie the logo is acrylic laquer metalic red, Reverb the blank is an 8’2" A US Blank.

Tom

…sexy…

I did a lot of opaque resin bolts on boards back in the 70’s. We considered it just another decoration like the Cody arrow and other such things. I used to do white pigment bolts and outline them with black india ink lines. Looked unreal on opaque laminations. That is a nice template. (hint hint) Sure would like to add it to my retro stash.

OMG Tom!   I just realized I sent you the wrong template!!   That's the needle nosed pintail pig, and you put the fin box on the wrong end!!!    Oh well, surf it anyway, it still might work ok.  (hee, hee.)

nice work tjrm63

better break out the bud lite,,, cause,,,,,,, Here we go!

tjr,

Great fricken board.  But, I’m coveting your Econoline.  What year and how you score it?  We had a blue van about the same year when I was a kid.  Sat on top of the engine compartment all the way to King’s Canyon a couple of times. Seat belts???   Mike

Your funny Bill, again thank you, Ken is that what you drank when you made yours, funny pic Huck. Mike, I got the truck from California, An old couple used it to fix up their rental properties and when they retired I purchased it and had it shipped here to New Jersey about 5 years ago. She is a 1962 6cyl with 3 on the tree, the engine was tired so I replaced it with a rebuilt 200 I found here. She is a labor of love and is my new logo for my shirts.

the cleaners have taken their picture back...you can guess what's next on their list

LOL

I was refering to the Bud commercial catch phrase

in regards to the Lightning bolt "cleaners"

who should be contacting you shortly.

but who knows,,,, maybe their over it