Metamorphosand

My in-laws had a cedar barrel sauna at their cabin with a wonky heater that never got used. During a recent remodel the opportunity arose to dismantle the thing and eliminate it from the deck where it had weathered over 20 years of snowy winters and withering summers.

not THE sauna, but you get the rough idea:

The barrel itself is all tongue and groove with metal bands holding it all together. I broke it down and salvaged all the wood that was not too foregone.

I have decided that I’d like to make a composite sandwhich board of the “open face” variety using the salvaged cedar boards for skins and rails…

…so the surfboard workshop is back to a woodshop again

In parallel, I am taking a mish mash of salvaged redwood (from a garage door in long beach, thanks craigslist!), balsa, paulownia, cedar and basswood and making 4 or 5 alaia/paipo for my brothers and myself

these are two of the alaia…I have the rough panels sorted, just need to clamp and glue this week…

the rest of the cedar gets edged on the table saw to create a square surface

once it’s edged, I slowly resaw it using a thin kerf blade…ooooh, new sawblade is good sawblade!

once I get through it, each piece of cedar will yield about three pieces that I can use for the skin/rail builds

30 boards x 3 slices per board x 3 passes to make each slice = 270 passes on the table saw…and that’s all before I have to thickness the wood for the final build

this is really dicey work on the table saw so I’m doing it all slowly, in batches, without beer and with tremendous focus on finishing the project with all digits intact…

[quote="$1"]

Swied I know you are a fine wood worker yourself so I'm surprise that you wouldn't be a big advocate for a Bandsaw? For building boards it's a key tool for any craftsman.

[/quote]

Oh... I'm a big advocate of getting a bandsaw.  On the other hand, good bandsaw's are expensive and sometimes you just have to use what you've got.  It looks like Afoaf has a pretty good tablesaw setup.

Nice table saw. Good on ya. Great way to salvage the redwood. It’s time to stop cutting the Redwoods anyway. There are now better building alternatives.

ps. Try using featherboards to help keep your fingers intact.

I have some table level feather boards…but they tend to compress the kerf cuts unless set perfectly…I should try to rig some that put the pressure higher up on the board against the fence where it’s still uncut…good call.

afoaf, If you are resawing wide boards on edge you can try this. Make a lower pass on each edge about 1/3 or more of the way through. Then slide it through the bandsaw. The blade will track in the kerf nicely. Then plane the little ridge off.

2010 Christmas List

1. Bandsaw

2. World Peace

3. Ninja stars.

a noble effot 

you are to be commended.

the salvage of aged wood

is a time honored endeavor.

may I respectfully suggest

a hollow board to be

included in the mix

of projects to pursue. . .

…ambrose…

currently in last stages

of a simplified hollow

of balsa and redwood.

proto type with flat internal

ribs to enhance flex.

finless ala’ia.

Afoaf: As much as you love woodworking a Bandsaw would revolutionize you hobby life!

Go big!

trust me…it’s in the cards.

just have some other trivia to attend to first.

it really bugs me how much I’m losing to dust…I’d probably be able to get an additional plank per board at least if I had a nice 3HP with some honking resaw capacity.

If your tablesaw is producing nice clean cuts then the difference in sawdust may be minimal.  The combination of bandsawing, and then planning it smooth creates about the same amount of waste as a tablesaw blade alone.

I'm looking forward to seeing the detailed photos from this build.

depends on the type of blade: 1" Resaw King from Laguna on a 16HD with a 4.5HP for re-sawing in place of a table saw?

The planing is minimal. Delta 2HP 13" does just fine. With large timbers having the right saw for miling your lumber not only reduces waste but enhances the woodworking experience.

Tyler (Aloaf) is passionate about building things. If your passionate bust out the wallet and spring for the right tools to make the experience richer.

Swied I know you are a fine wood worker yourself so I’m surprise that you wouldn’t be a big advocate for a Bandsaw? For building boards it’s a key tool for any craftsman.

Sam Maloof, Jim Phillips, Greg Noll, Gary Linden, Dick Brewer all use a bandsaw. Sam did until his death (92 years Old).

As we apprentice and learn from those that came before us why not use the same tools or even better ones as the technology constantly keeps improving.

Kind regards,

Surfding

ps: A tall feather board mounted securely and you bandsaw table provides a smooth even cut.

http://www.lagunatools.com/bandsaws/bandsaw-lt14suv;jsessionid=0a0103551f437aacfb03382d4fc89d57e5b4eb823e65.e3eSchmSbxaRe34Pa38Ta38Lchb0

Newest technology LT14 x 14 SUV Bandsaw = $1,495.00 comes with a 3HP Leeson Motor.

It’s less money than the 16HD however this new LT14 with the 3HP is more than enough. Don’t get a cheap one.

been sprung on the Lagunas since you sent me that first link.

embarrased to say that I didn’t know maloof had passed…that man has probably forgotten more about the craft than I could muster in a lifetime.

just try to wrap your head around this for a bit…

We still got Thos. Moser. Check his stuff out, pretty nice although I prefer S. Maloof’s style and engineering.

Sam Maloof has had the most influcence on my woodworking. I saw the Laguna Bandsaw in his work shop so that was the standard I tried to follow. I have nothing but respect for the man. The chair ALOAF posted is one of my favorite pieces. I have several books on the works of S Maloof and I'm still looking for more books on his works. He also made chairs for many US Presidents.

We know who the woodworkers are on this site!

Sam Maloof dies at 93; designer and builder of simple, beautiful furniture

His work was initially prized for practicality by Southern Californian homeowners in the 1950s. Later collectors and museum curators valued its elegance and timelessness.

May 23, 2009|Janet Eastman

Sam Maloof, a designer and woodworker whose furniture was initially prized for its simplicity and practicality by Southern Californian homeowners in the 1950s and later valued for its beauty and timelessness by collectors, museum curators and U.S. presidents, has died. He was 93.

Maloof died Thursday at his home in the Alta Loma section of Rancho Cucamonga, his longtime business manager Roz Bock confirmed. No further details were given.

too bad Benny doesn't come around anymore. he enjoyed woodworking too and had a shop full of older tools that he had inherited from his grandfather if i remember correctly.

I went out to his shop several years ago (the first one) to look around. I knew he had a looong waiting list for apprenticeships so it was just a look see. Roz was out in the garden and started talking to me and showed me around some. Sam wasn’t there (dammit!) but when I saw his lumber storage…Holy SH$%! Talk about getting wood??? His lumber stock alone is worth a fortune. He’s still the best designer I’ve seen.

I've seen your boards. One board would pay for your new bandsaw.

It took me two Balsawood Boards that I made and sold to a collector to cover the investment of my Bandsaw.I've had it for about 7 years now and I could not imagine not having one? Its a money maker.

I have a decent bandsaw (14" Powermatic).  My tablesaw, on the other hand, is a POS.  I guess I have tablesaw envy.  I don't think I could part with any of my boards for money right now.  I just took my 6' 9" redwood HWS out at a reef in La Jolla today, and had such a good time.  It took me over a year to assemble that board.  It would be funny if someone ever ordered a board from me.  "Hey man,  where's my board?  It's been like 14 months already." 

Hola Swied, keep checking Craig’s list. There are deals that pop up all the time…due to the times. Sadly, many shops are closing down and tools are being liquidated. I scored a 3HP. 10" Delta Cabinet saw with mobile base, shop made extension table and Beisemeyer for $350.00!! They only used it in the shop for dadoes. It has very few hours on it. Keep looking.

[quote="$1"]

I have a decent bandsaw (14" Powermatic).  My tablesaw, on the other hand, is a POS.  I guess I have tablesaw envy.  I don't think I could part with any of my boards for money right now.  I just took my 6' 9" redwood HWS out at a reef in La Jolla today, and had such a good time.  It took me over a year to assemble that board.  It would be funny if someone ever ordered a board from me.  "Hey man,  where's my board?  It's been like 14 months already." 

[/quote]

I have a decent portable table saw (Bosch with Gravity Rise stand), but its usually on a job somewhere, so I end up using my little P.O.S. home depot special hahaha!  Don't have a band saw, wouldn't have room for one anyway.  I use a portable jigsaw.  Some people would be amazed at how few tools I use to build hws's - like you say, get by with what ya got!

I took my 7'6" hws bonzer (the mermaid model) out in this swell the last couple days, I've really been enjoying the heck out of it!  Catches waves easy, late drops, nice turns, what else could I ask for?  Now if my wrenched back would only let me stay out a little longer... 

Its all about the stoke!