Metamorphosand

You are right Huck. I’ve done many many high end houses with just my trusty 25 yr old Makita 8 1/4" portable. It’s still doable, but man, that cabinet saw is a real treat.

hahaha - I remember that little Makita!  They used to be the cadillac of portable jobsite tools!  I still have a Makita sawzall that's probably 25 or 30 years old.  I have a new Milwaukee, but gotta break my Makita first, and just can't seem to!  I also have a Makita hammer/drill that just won't die!

about that cabinet saw - someday...a small house on the beach, with a huge shop filled with state of the art tools...

$350…WOW

I grabbed this table saw off craigslist…the guy was in antelope valley, moving to a little joint in Huntington to be close to his grandkids.

I paid 800$ IIRC for the table, manufactures extension, fence and mobile base…and I thought that was a righteous bargain.

Now you go and make me feel like a chump!

; )

I took the tracks out of the router table, dropped them in the slots on the tablesaw bed and put in the one set of featherboards with risers on the front…then rigged a second set with some scrap wood for the back end.

I’ve made 180 passes so far, 180 more to go…I forgot about the additional 90 taking down the remaining stock left from the first batch…wife says, “well, you’re halfway there”

bit by bit…

wait until I post a picture of the combo jointer/planer/mortiser I have…the thing is EPIC. got it for a good price from Eagle Tools in LA.

they have some great deals on used items sometimes too…really nice guys.

Afoaf, Yeah, $350 wow. I couldn’t say no. Drove two hrs. one way to get it. Ate pbj’s for a few mos. after. It was a great deal.

I’d be pretty happy with your Powermatic. Being half way there…What else ya got to do? SOUTH SWELL!!

I sold this to buy my powermatic 66 new about fifteen years ago. Still runs true and strong. Don't miss the canoe or maintaining the brightwork.

Howzit Huck, When you say gravity rise stand do you mean the one tht collapses? If so that was the same one I had and sold for $ 200 when I left Kauai. That Boshce  has one bad thing and that is the blade bearing likesto freeze up if you push the motor to much. I got my Boshce for free because it had froze up and had ToolMaster fix it.When I picked it up the repair guy told me he had done over 75 of them with the same problem so he called Bosch and told them and they told him to use a different bearing and mine never had any problems again. The old bearing has the plastic part and the new ones are all metal. I really hated selling that saw becuse they are a great table saw but the next one is going to have the wheels. Aloha,Kokua

Well you are covered then. Missing all the facts.

Insert foot!

Sorry.

I took the two primary slices out of all the boards and am down to the middle meat.

Serendipity…I think I took my slices just thick enough to actually get 4 usuable slices out of each board.

I don’t entirely slice them on the tablesaw…I leave a little hinge of sorts, and either pry them off or use the flush cut japan saw to slice…then I pare down the ridge with my little razor plane

this will potentially yield over 100 pieces…plus some left over balsa that I have from way back compsando projects…I might be able to get two boards out of this stuff

I’ll finish the last of the resawing tomorrow and begin to build a sled for this stuff for processing through the thickness planer.

I haven't had any problems, but I don't push it very hard.  Good to know 'tho, in case I run into that problem.  My problem is I do too many different things so I have too many tools and none get used a lot, they all get used a little.  And they take up too much space and I get pad too little for using them, and....

what were we talking about?

Oh yeah, south swell today!!!!  And everyone and their brother was out - 50 rescues at L.A. beaches today!

heya ambrose, feel like starting the build thread already? " )

we may not be able to look over your shoulder as you finish it, but it would be nice to learn a thing or two from you-- to show the other side of your poetic license if you will hehe

cheers, 

Such a Beaver!

self hijack:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/tls/1856085034.html

good Lord, it costs about the same as a brand-new, name-brand, mall-sold longboard here in manila. got first dibs on that afoaf?

Hey 'foaf that sauna is fugly...I just know that what you come upm with will do much better justice to the wood...

Josh

www.joshdowlingshape.com

That bandsaw will give you years of service.

You can fit a 4.5 HP Baldorf Motor with no problem. (Down the road)

If you need a good blade:

1" Re-Saw King Diamond Tip available at Laguna Tools in Irvine.

S’Ding, Diamond tip blade??? Do you mean Carbide?

Carbide. Sorry I have Diamond blades for stone work. Wood, Stone, Metal, Foam I have tools for all of it so I get mix it.

These are the blades for Re-Sawing - The 1/4" to 3/8" good for curves.

Roger that S’Ding. It doesn’t get any better than that. The saw, the blade, unless you get a portable saw mill with a gas engine. At 144-146 inches the carbide one must come at a price! Also what is the cost if sharpening? Our local shop was bought out by Santa Barbara Saw and their prices skyrocketed. It’s just enough to make you have to pay it. A little less than 1/2 price of a new one! Those 16" blades hurt to get sharpened now a days.

Once you buy the re-saw king resharping is free. you have them sharpened at laguna its cheaper than anywhere else.

You Gotta Be Kidding ME?! Free sharpening! Never heard of such a thing. What are those…2 TPI? Still, that’s 70 plus teeth to sharpen. A 60 tooth circ blade costs about $40.00!!! Just under. Ask that guy to marry you! A La Famiglia.