Mid length boards

I saw and fondled an earlier version of that model when he came to the show in Del Mar a couple years back.  It has more rocker and a narrower nose than might otherwise seem apparent, so I’m sure that’s why it has a wider range than something like the board I did.  

I’ve seen a number of ride reviews from people who invariably rave about them, including from several who I know to be good surfers.  Really, I don’t recall ever seeing any negative ride reviews.  I have seen some strongly negative bystander reviews including a couple alluding to some local politics among the board builders, but I never did get any of the specifics.  

With all that said, I don’t think the design (or any other singlefin) will ever appeal much to people who are committed to the multi-fin boards.  

Not to overlook a couple of the other piggy midlengths, like Fineline’s revamped MicroAnt or the Piglet that Jim Phillips does.  I invariably get a bit of a chubbie every time I see pics of those.  

The elongated nose serves no function other than creating a look .

Evolution is what replaced these designs a long time ago .

A thin downrail single fin would have a much wider range of things you could do on and with the wave while still capturing the retro single fin feel .

Ryan Lovelace V Bowl

It’s a good thread. I ride Mid-length boards. Like G-Daddy says…duck diving matters…The first thread shows a video of a hot guy stuffing and snaking. The reason you never see the take off is because someone is always deeper… or stuffed… not a good way to put Mid Lenghts in the lime light…

Here’s what I ride…

http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/comparing-apples-oranges-and-blueberries-limes

Ray

Ahh midlengths. If you surf well, in decent shape they are the holy grail of surfing. A fineline mix of paddle power, duckdiving, tight turn radius, and power bottom turns.  If not…then you are just another buoy in the water doesn’t matter if its 5’2" or 10’2" a buoy is just a buoy. Worlds most under rated shape, and easiest to shape poorly…Aka the hybrid or funshape, they call them this because of lack of respect.  Our south swell this week introduced a whole new crew of kids to the midlength surfboard.  I must say it was very educational and enlightening for them.

Mid length motto: short boarders hate you, long boarders envy you, your friends tolerate you.   Surfing 7’4", 7’6", 8’0", 8’6" and 8’8" .

Kudos for saying it out loud.      My favorite board for everything from 3 ft La Jolla Shores, to 15 ft Sunset, was a 7’ 10’’ board.     Points given.

Greg L’s Millennium 8’0" EPS 2 lb blank madesome of the best 7’10"s ever.   I wish I could get those blanks again.  I wish more people got behind “Segway Blank” Ken. Also had a dam good 8’6" too.  Solid EPS foam, with great rockers.

Josh Dowling 7’4" in progress for me :slight_smile:

J Bay Board…8-4 

Shaped by Mikey Meyer

roger

Resinhead - you said it best. 

cough cough

Wrong location.      The crutch belongs over in the asymmetrical thread.

Hahaha good one Bill

Asymmetric crutch ?  Stop hurting my feelings too much. I think the fin is a crutch. So is the leash. And wax. Real men don’t use wax. And red tint isn’t fast. It’s just intense pink. 

They laughed at the Fountain brothers (before they were institutionalized).  That is all I will say on the matter. 

All the best

Having followed this thread with great interest and having never had a mid length board before, I’m itching to try one. Understanding what Resinhead has said I went on Amazon Prime and pre-ordered “Resinhead’s Guide to becoming a Better, more Effective Buoy” just in case. 

I looked at what US Blanks had and was wondering if someone would share what their rockers might be.  I’m thinking 7’8"-7’10"x 21 1/2"-22".  Maybe 4" nose 2 5/8" tail? Any help would be appreciated.

oh and…it would also be nice to get my “buoy guide” autographed if possible

Biggreen,

I like 5 1/2 and 2… but those numbers don’t mean munch if you don’t have my exact curve. Typically a nice gentle curve with a little flat spot in the middle works nicely for me. It’s up to you to decide how extreme or mellow you want your numbers to be. For what its worth, for my last 7’4 I believe I used the 7’6 EA or 7’7 A… You don’t waste too much with those blanks. Super easy to shape. 

Rocker really depends on what type of surf you plan on riding. I’ve used as little as 2" in the nose and 1.5" in the tail on a 7’6" but I wouldn’t ride that in heavy solid overhead thumping waves if I can’t drop into the wave sliding in sideways. It works great in the headhigh mellow surf, really good for that kind of wave. Paddles fast with the extra low rocker.

I just made a gunny 7’ 9" x 21" X 3.5" board. Lots of nose rocker maybe 5" - 6" and about 2.5" in the tail. Rode in our last swell in 2xOH and it was just right to get in early and have fun.

Thanks you guys. I’m a Gulf Coaster like artz so I was thinking a lower rocker for our softer waves, but I’m pretty certain I’m not at the skill level for something like what gdaddy put up. But yeah, Colin, I was thinking a continuos curve with maybe flatter through the middle for my surf. I was looking at the fish/egg blanks for ideas though I’ll hot wire my own.

sharkcountry. Thanks! I’d say that I’m looking to ride something that performs well up to head high mellow waves. I can only dream of what you get to ride regularly.