Mini simmons, and long simmons, what about in between simmons??

Just noticed that there are simmons boards, which seem to be 8' plus, and then mini simmons, which are 3'' long haha, but nothing in between. Are/where there simmons boards between 5'5'' and 8' ?? I imagine an 8' simmons would absolutely f*cking fly, so a 7' simmons would go pretty good too. With a 7'2'' FF blank a 6'6'' would be possible i think.

Anyone know about "in between" simmons??

I surf a 6’er which I love. I can easily surf a 5’6" one of smaller but I wanted to catch waves quick and easy. It flies and is a ton of fun to ride. I’d imagine a 6’6" one would be even more fun. I say build it, surf it, and give us a ride report

Bob Simmons made a number of boards in the 6, 7, and 8 foot ranges.   This according to sources that knew him well.

Thanks guys. I like mid length boards in general, so it could work well for me.

Bill, what happens to the width at say 7'? Are they still super wide, or do they narrow slightly? And as far as bottom shape, does it all just get scaled up?

Cheers

Mark, this is my 7' x 23" x 3' I love it

Tom

The few examples of short Simmons that I've seen were wide in appearance.    Though I did not put a tape on them, I think most of his boards were in the 22 to 24 inch wide range.    Board width in the 20% to 25% of board length would describe a lot of his boards.   If I were to make a 7 foot Simmons type board, I'd make it at least 22 inches wide, perhaps even 23 inches.   That would kick it up to 27% of board length.    I don't think the proportion is too highly critical, as long you are ''in the ballpark.''    Your eye will tell you if it ''looks right.''    Let your eye guide you. 

Thanks tom and bill, i like short n wide, but i don't think i'll ever not have a bit of length in my quiver. Over 7' boards just do something for me, from knee high to over head, i think its the rail line and heft ( i like em with a good glass job ).

Time to check out surfblanks for a suitable blank.

Hey tom, can you get up front and trim on that sweet thing?

depends how you want surf em and what kind of waves BF.....you surf alot of punchy short beachies dont you ? dunno if a long flat simmons board suits that surf but I think you should make whatever you want to ride, go forth and do it....I just went crazy and shaped a wild little finless creation half hour ago......if ya go longer, just tweak the rocker accordingly and take your waves and forward stance into design consideration mate....tell me to shut up, it is your board after all......keen to see what ya end up shaping mate.....

Cheers mark, i surf my 7'10 in short beachies ok, though that has more rocker than a simmons would, though at 22 is pretty wide. We also get lots of fat/weak waves too, all depends on tide and banks here, and which particular beach. Small and fat waves have one good thing going for them, no crowds!.

Shed is all packed up with shit from the house. Can't wait to get into a new house and setup the brewery and shaping area, though it'll probably be combined. WIll finish the egg, then do something, either a mini simms, or a mid simms.

Im itching to do something!

Check ya pms mate

hey beerfan, I’m getting a 6’6 made right now here in SoCal. I’m a bigger guy and coming down from longer boards so I really didn’t want to go under 6. I did have afoaf 6’4 for a couple weeks to try and it was fun and caught waves pretty easy. The width on mine is going to be 23 and 3.5 thick, like I said I’m a big guy. I think if all goes well with this one I may get one in the mid 7ft range for really small days. I’ll post some pics when I get it.

Please do mate, love to see it. I like tom's it looks like sooo much fun!

Beerfan.

I have a 7’4" Midi - Simmons almost finished - Paulownia skin over EPS core. I’ll try to get some photos when I’ve finished and post them.

Cheers

Rohan

Please do rohan. If it hasn't become obvious im a bit of a foam fiend hehe

good thread beerfan, interesting read and really looking forward to some photos being put up to see some beautiful work out there, Im thinking small and fat for me, but thats just me mate

Mark, I sure can trim this bad boy, turns like a go cart

I don’t like boards over 7’. That’s why I’ll do the 6’4 Mid-Simmons version soon. Trip will be in april and without internet. So the ride report can only be done in the last week of april. But I’ll let you know how it worked beerfan :wink:

8-4 Baby Bob floating in Sinaloa…north of the Tropic of Cancer where they say it dont break this time of year!!! Laughing!!!

This is an 8-4 Simmonisqe board…I think Paul Gross and Spence made this for me in 07 or 08 and I pretty much rode it prone and on the knees up untill about a month ago… when due to a sore and swollen knee…I started to ride it standing…and was shocked how good of a stand up board it is…I had ridden it in overhead surf standing and did not like the way it forced you to go to the bottom to turn…but on small waves it is fine and dandy…and paddles like a 9-6…recently a friend rode it in knee to waist high point peelers and I almost had to beg to get it back from him…

Rogelio…waiting in Nayarit for next swell…

warming in the morning sun a couple hours ago

[quote="$1"]

Mark, I sure can trim this bad boy, turns like a go cart

[/quote]

I think im sold on the idea now!!!

Joe Baugess shaped 6’ quad zinger mini-simmon. Super fast, loose and fun. Wide and thick- like 3/5ths of a longboard

s