more modified fins...

The "photobucket " site is "down" at the moment ,  so here's the  smaller sized photos ,  to fit on sways ....  

[that’s a carbon fibre inside edge , with a spraypainted [gold] foam outer edge …]

I’m going to reshape and thin them .

What ideas do people have ,

for making a “funky outside edge” ?

[maybe something like the fins “Wildy” previously sent me , the “cuttlefins” , eh ?!]

THIS is WHY I am wanting to reshape , and thin , the outside edge of them ! …

cheers !

ben

Aloha Chipfish,

i do like those modified fins.

Ive has several attempts at foam core glass ons with a little succsess, and even less useing balsa cores.

I was told recently that the FCS FG 5’s (trans blue,hex foam core) i have are moulded with an epoxy layup.

But i dont belive all i hear…i need a new centre fin so, when i get it im gonna have an experiment.

Q’s: Did you lay up by hand or use a board press?

layup: epoxy or poly resin? 

I dont have time to sit here and type a discription as im on a freinds pooter,but ill get all the details i have (some of them are Aeromodeling based tech), scetches, photos and the odd 'zine artical.

Might have to email all this to you as it may take some time.

good waves

Hey Chipper, make sure you’ve got enough glass on your base tabs for strength. I made a set out of d-cell for FCS and broke one of the fins out on a turn (first time out), never to be seen again. You may want to taper the tabs so that more glass gets on them. Nice thing about that foam core, they sure are light!

yep , they were “hand laid up”

With polyester resin

two layers of 60z cloth each side …[actually , the cf cloth may have been a thicker oz , come to think of it !]

The foam will be thinned WAAAY down [thinner than the fcs H2’s , THAT’S for sure !]

Yes , the tabs will be built up with LOTS of glass …I remember how Wildy’s tab on the cuttlefin snapped !

They may end up being carbon fibre on BOTH sides of the fin .

cheers

ben

Their might be something to that FSC FG 5’s moulding thing.

Have fun.

Ian

so as not to hijack the “cutaway keels” thread …

these will be cutaway minikeels/ bonzers .

the “keelonzers” / “bonzeels”

[The actual size is 4 1/2" base x 2 3/4" depth x 3/4" rake , by the way…these ones are non-canted , though …the clear ones I posted , on the other thread , had slight cant ]

cheers !

ben

rear edge foiling and foam thinning needed …

small [one tab] sideys …

[2 3/4" base x 3 1/4" depth x 1" rake ]

ben

Well, these ‘were’ the small blue checkered fabric inlay fins , originally …

However , not inlaying the fabric on the INSIDE edge , meant it was ground off in the foiling . So , they are now clear , double foiled fins…

They are still needing fine sanding …

cheers

ben

Okay , back to the carbon fibre and foam combo fins … thinned now …

I’ve just got to work out about the leading and trailing edges , and the tabs , now , before reglassing .

Man , next time I will take more time getting a decent , even , thinner , foam foil , ready for glassing .

They are very light fins , needless to say …I just need to make sure they will be strong , too !

…the experimenting and testing will continue …

cheers 

ben

The 2 layers of 6oz , over the gold spraypainted outside edge of these fins , was a LOT stronger than I expected !!

…I actually had to use a GRINDER to get it off [hence the ragged-looking edge at the base of the fins , where the glass is still on !]

And , to whoever it was who private messaged me a while ago , asking [sorry , I deleted all my p.m.'s a while ago ]…

yes , the “reshape” on these was done with a jigsaw …I just cut OUTSIDE the line , and gently filed it down …

cheers

ben

okay , so…

many of these are still to be cut out , and hand-foiled.

But this [hopefully , ongoing thread] is just to give an idea of the year’s work ahead , in the fin department , for a certain chipfish

I would REALLY like to see OTHER people’s modified fins , and to read how they worked for you , please …thanks !

ben 

[strike]

[/strike]

Loving the post Ben,

some great work, never brought myself to butcher a set of fins yet, but remember the disapearing cloth inlay panel I did ages ago, I think I’ve got an unfoiled fin blank from that knocking around the shed if you PM your address I’ll post it to you to play with.

Promise it will get to you quicker than fatty’s fins.

Quote:

Loving the post Ben,

some great work, never brought myself to butcher a set of fins yet, but remember the disapearing cloth inlay panel I did ages ago, I think I’ve got an unfoiled fin blank from that knocking around the shed if you PM your address I’ll post it to you to play with.

Promise it will get to you quicker than fatty’s fins.

hahah

classic , woodster !

in honour of our humourous companions er tardiness ,

I am taking AGES to get around to cutting them down , and reglassing the bases [I can’t bring myself to butcher them more than that , at the moment !]

By the way … where ARE you , Jason / ‘fatty’ !!!

here’s …

…I like these , as a back pair in a quad setup . [They are also fun as a twinny setup , too !]

these ones need a bit more proper foiling yet , but still are fun as two side thruster fins …[it is a cutdown glasson back fin]

and , this one is a cutdown glassed-on single fin…

the starry fins , cut down …

Hey come on, I object! 14 months is nothing in the greater scheme of things. Besides they were all valid excuses, er, reasons sorry. You know I still haven’t finished Timmmmmey’s board, it’s been in my garage in the same state for a good few months now. But it’s his own fault for telling me there’s no rush!!!

Hey Chip…Look what I made from old glass on fins!

wow

THAT’S the way , Ray !

good on ya mate !

anyone ELSE , before I resume the photo bombardment ?

cheers

ben

p.s. - … jokes jase , you KNOW it ! say HIIIII to “timaaaay” for me too eh mate ? it was really good to hear from ya fatty !