My first fully shaped blank, not 9lassed yet

[quote="$1"]

Only bit of nooby advice I have is; make sure that the "D" in your logo does not resemble.....say..... an "N"? 

: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J5UXwHD2YY

lol, probably only going to use this logo once or twice, its like a old school joke from way back when my nickname was digger.  Im making a board for my mate from school as he has been a friend for over 40 years and will have the logo on his board for a laugh, have one on for a board I make for myself for a laugh, my young boy who is 5 really likes a loves a mate of mine who is doing the glassing for me and made a joke logo for him which would give my little boy a real kick, as long as I put flames down the side of his board, so will do that. 

Then after that probably wont do the logo, maybe design something really small with the letters r (for rose) n (for noah) and s (for scott) as my only thing that will go on any boards.  Want to learn to do channels, single fins, purple tints, for my favourite points, so lots and lots of pratice, and will only be for my close mates and one board a year to be donated to my kids school to raise money for them.

For me making boards is for the art for arts sake, the drinking of beer between each step, and the dreaming of the finished product every night and a new board each year for me and a mate and always making boards for my son.

Nothing more, nothing less, so I may make quite a few to learn stuff to start with then slow right down and make the boards that I want to ride for the lines that I dream of drawing on beautiful waves.........  SIMPLE REALLY ISNT IT.

NOOOOOOOOOOO it is not.

[/quote]

started my sons board, he is making it with me.  He is so keen to make this with me, he is only 5 years old and he cant wait to do some more shaping next weekend with me.  I need to get him a small pair of safety glasses as he got some foam in his eyes but he is so into it. 

Can you tell Im a very proud dad.

In the photos you can see he wanted to pose with the power planner just once, so I let him do that.  I tried to teach him to count his strokes with the sanding pad, he quickly caught onto that and was counting out load his strokes, smooth as he could, then swapping sides and doing exactly the same on the other side.

Then I tried to talk to him about running your hand over the deck with eyes closed to feel and bumps or lumps that dont feel right, he tried it and you can see in the piture him running his hand up and down, felt so bloody proud of his effort.

The photo of him holding the level on the board after finishing sanding cracks me up, he is telling me "yup, its level dad, lets go swimming now"

That board sitting on the racks covered in a curtian is the board that is still wiating to be glassed, good things always come to those who wait.

hope it is well protected agaisnt the weather mate, foam hates sunlight and moisture......Now give the boy some paints and let him create a masterpiece.....

I know, bit worried about it, wish we could get it done but oh well, not that easy at the moment.

its probably getting done by ladge to save bucks ??? there are guys I know on the coast who'll finish it off for you but at a cost obviously ....be good to be riding it, not looking at it but hey....Huie could do it but ya gotta get it to him, too hard for a shaped blank...

Nah, its not a cost thing at all Mark,  Tim was going to be doing it at Ledges place because it is a really good setup, My carport does not stop the sun so cant use uv, Ive left it in Tims hands on when he will do it and have not heard different from Fong so thats cool by me.

Hopefully will be done soon, but again will be waiting to here from Fong on the matter.

patient man...when I have something shaped that I am keen to ride, I want it done and done now...but thats just me, you might be finished the other one and can do both at same time maybe....good to have it done by Aussie Day mate....

www.moresurfboards.com

thats the aim mark, I think fong is taking it down to yamba to glass during chrissy break, Im gonna need to narrow my sons board to 17 wide, he cut out one side so badly, lol.  I wanted to give it boxy rails but its so wonky that if I narrow it to 17, will get clean outline agian to work from for the rails.   There is hardly any rocker in it at all, but thats also okay as this is originally from a 6'8 blank that has had 3 different shapes cut into it for pratice, so I will get out of it what I can, it will do the job for a first board for noah.

might do some spray painting on tims board as Im getting board just looking at it.

very cool Di99er! you're stoked!

in Yamba over the Xmas break, wont be too many glassers open here at that time mate....let me know if I can help.....

www.moresurfboards.com

Spray it!!. My sprays are a bit plain, but man, its better than having an all white board. All white boards show up dirty fingerprints and shaping defects in my case haha.

okay, finally cut down my boys board to 17 inches wide, its an egg, 5'3 and a bit,  Worked hard at it from today at about 1 and finished up at about 7 tonight, doing a bit, getting out the rocker stick and doing measurements, Im such a perfectionist some would call me a pain in the arse.

Used just a solid bit of wood and sandpaper and sanded it down to the outline on both sides to make sure it was perfect, no jig saw, just hand sanding.  Worked hard on the profile to try to get the most out of the blank that I could being that it did not have much rocker left in it.  Played a bit with the foil on the top but not to much. 

Only thing left now is to cut in the rails.  Will make it 50/50 rails all the way around, soft and forgiving.  After that give my boy the sandpaper to let him give it a final sand, like 300 grit, haaaaaaa,  so he cant sand to much but still feels part of the project.  Then buy some paint and let him paint it how he wants.

So much fun.  I recommend this to anyone who has a young lad, its great bonding time plus you learn to shape boards for you and also for him, hopefully I will get good enough to always shape his boards.

Im just anxious to get home from work, Im stuck here, cant wait to get home and get those rails done, its nearly 2, 3 hours to go then home time and get stuck into the rails.

you glassed that first one yet mate ????  

nah, all up fong, dont know when he will do it.  I trust in fong, he has been heaps busy lately with double shifts, hopefully will be done in christmas break, but who nows what is on his plate, dont get to catch up much with him now.  Its the time of year and everyone really busy

I have been talking to fong and he is coming over to wrap up the board to take away very soon to glass.  Im thinking of making quite a few boards and just bubble wrapping em, make about 6 or so then getting stuff in bulk and doing the whole lot at once.  Just a thought.  Might not be a good thought and mulling over this idea.  What are your thoughts on this idea.  Cant wait for fong to test the board.

Have a crack at glassing digger, not too hard. If you can shape them you can glass them mate. I ding shaped unglassed boards terribly, something always falls on them or you move them and bump the bloody things haha.

yup, same mate, but ive been careful with fongs, made a set of racks to hang fongs board on, its got a small dent in it on tail but that was done before I made the racks up, Im gonna get bubble wrap to wrap them up when I finish them from now on.  I will have a crack at glassing next year for sure, for me its a money factor of getting the tools and resign, glass and things like that. 

On my boys board I will not ding that one before glassing.  Cant be to hard to look after a blank properly if stored correctly.  Made rookie mistakes on the first few with dinging em but I think I may have overcome those things.

Im now dreaming, after finishing boys board Im gonna make a board for my mate, then want to make a 2+1 for me and fong for out at the points.  So many plans, so many boards to make