My first fully shaped blank, not 9lassed yet

I like shaping one, then riding it to see how it goes, and just understanding it before doing another shape ( if similar in design or working on modifying one design til getting it right or better ...), shaping 6 at a time might mean you do 6 similar with same elements, and thats great if they are all good but if not, then you have 6 not so great boards, I like to evolve and improve all the time....but good to get numbers under ya belt mate, its up to you...but dunno how you can be so patient, I have to ride em and feel what they can do, hate looking at em and wondering......

Im learning to be patient mark, I keep looking at the long term aim, and that is to be making boards forever for my boy, so numbers are important I suppose and patience, I want to glass and do the whole thing myself but still building up the courage.  I have a legend who will help me learn to use uv stuff but thats not too next year.

In the short term it doesnt matter to much if the first few aint to good, I can always test em out and try to figure where I went wrong, leave good notes in aku shaper on the file if you know what I mean and refer to them.

Im a slow learner so will learn the hard way and by the time my boy is surfing well I should be nailing em I hope, but im hanging to make some decent 2 +1 for the points at noosa, something different, different lines, different feelings, keeps you interested to be surfing all the time.

I will be getting good feedback from fong on his board, he is picking it up on saturday, that will be invaluable and when he gets back from chrissy holidays I will be able to ride it as well to see how she feels.

good for you mate, at ya own pace, its all about fun but I am impatient to have my fun hahaha.....

Howzit 99er, Don't worry to much about dinging the blank, we have ways to fix that with a hair dryer or heat gun. If it happens just post a question and it will be answered,easy fix. Aloha,Kokua

board is finally completed.  I need to make a adjustment on the tail on the top deck but thats it,  Making some templates for flames for my boy as he wants flames on the board and will get him to spray them himself on wenesday

Great work digger!!

first ever spray, something simple, something with checkers, now my boy is demanding I add red flames to it so that is next.   I will spray paint his name in black on the bottom of the board graffiti style

Nice work Digger,

Love the ‘GT’ style stripes reminds me of all those 70’s falcons and capris ( they didnt have flames though :slight_smile:

[quote="$1"]

Nice work Digger,

Love the 'GT' style stripes reminds me of all those 70's falcons and capris ( they didnt have flames though :-)

Lol, thats where I got the inspiration from, british green racing strips with some checkers, haaaaaa

[/quote]

what , no flames mate ???   looks good especially for ya first go.....hit it with a bit of clear lacquer to prevent bleeding, some of the spray paks can still bleed, especially the darker colours .....

you got the decals ready to go ? fins ?

light green flames are next mark, dont want to add them but have to as the boy demands, explain mate what you mean by bleeding, not sure what this means.  Its a single, no fin yet but on the way, buying a large roll of bubble wrap to wrap the boards up to protect them till glassing next year. 

Decals are all ready to go, thinking of spraying on a paw print as well, lol

bleeding is when the paint runs when resin is applied.....

cheers mark, did not know that, will do some research on sways about laquer cause I got no idea what you talking about in applying it or what to buy, the information should be here

Howzit pridmore, I found that bleeding was caused when I thinned the paint with to much water and the paint didn't have enough acrylic left in it. I started making my thinning agent 50/50 water and acrylic thinner and never had a bleeder after that. When the time came that I had to move and close the shop I had over 50 pre-miixed bottles of paint and ended up giving them away. Aloha,Kokua

spray pak of clear enamel will seal it in.....

Howzit Kokua, I sprayed boards for a while and had an awesome array of colours in my bay too, it was great to have all those colours and creativity right there at my disposal....I know Di99er is just using spray paks ( like I still do sometimes ) so I thought I better mention it, dont want him to finally glass his boards and then have a bleeder.....

Howzit pridmore,Excuse me for my stupidness but what is spray paks. I never used any sealer on my paint work unless I was doing a another color next to a previous one. That way I wouldn't pull any of the first paint off when pulling the tape for the second paint work, plus I used a heat gun to make the tape release easier. Aloha,Kokua

Aerosol cans mike. Here in oz at auto shops we have aerosol cans of "touch up" paint for small repairs on cars. SOOOOOOOOO easy to use, and its auto acrylic, so great for boards. I have had no trouble with bleeding with them, and just lam over the paint no problems at all.

THough seeing the mexican blanket thread, im keen to do it on my 6'6'' egg next up!.

flames done on one side.  I will never do flames agian, what a hassle.  A few questions guys, I  could not get a smooth finish on the lines so Im thinking once glassed I will use a black posca pen and smooth it out, what do you guys who know what you are doing suggest.

happy with the first result but im such a perfectionist im sure there was a better way to do it, but to fix itand also keep balance I am going to do exactly the same on other side, and as I said I am hoping to correct the problems with black posca later down the track, any suggestions are welcome.

Geez, perfectionist!!!. Maybe too much paint? I hold them above the board at least 12", and do many light coats. Never seem to have bleeding. Looks great mate, honestly, who's gunna notice? And i dont think your boy is gunna care when he drops into his first wave on it!