Need advice How to Shape My Initial Shortboard

Hi everyone,

I am new to the art of surfboard shaping and I might appreciate some advice from this experienced group. I recently decided to take on the challenge of shaping my own shortboard. I have some basic woodworking skill but this is my first time working on a surfboard.

I have a question :point_right:
What is a good blank to start with when constructing a shortboard and What dimensions & materials should I look for?
what are the best materials for glassing the board, and where can I source them?

I am so excited to get started on this endeavor. I would greatly appreciate any counsel, pointers or resources you can provide.

I have been reading through some of the shaping lessons on Greenlight Surf Supply in order to get further advice and also i check this = Looking for some help on my first shapeservicenow but not found solution.

Thank you for help :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hello,
I am not a professional shaper and maybe somethings i will say are very wrong, but this is my process.
I am not including lamination here.
Not very detailed but follows a step by step aproach, you can check every step on youtube and can get tables of measurements from greenlight

Pu blanks can be laminated with epoxy or pe resin
Eps blanks can only be laminated with epoxy resin
Most common easy to work cheap material is fiberglass cloth, but there are alternatives.

Most blanks come with natural rocker and a bit concave (using this kind of blank is a huge help)

Shaping the blank: (need electric planer, sand blocks,mini planer for stringer, scissor calipers for thickness, ruler, shaper square, handsaw and a pencil) not all essencial but they help, you can not use some and replace some.

1-download outline template (blending curves or shape3dx wharehouse are my go to places) print them in thicker paper or glue it to plywood 3 mil and cut the template.
2- consider the tail and nose rocker you will be wanting in your board.
3- consider the neasurements for your board.
4- chose a blank longer and wider with enough rocker curve for the tail and nose measurements you wish. For safekeep make it 4" to 6" longer and 1 1/2" inches wider.
5- start working, bottom of the board, measure the thickness of the blank on the midpoint and calculate how much you need to bring down to get the desired thickness.
6- (not professional at all, but works for me)
turn the board to bottom, set a long piece of wood over the stringer and try to find aproximate nose and tail rocker within the size of board you want to build, then mark those lines perpendicular to the blank.
Mark the template you printed and take a good look at it because that is your surfboard outline, it will look like that(check, measure, make sure its allright), mark the midlle point, and now if you want more volume on the front move this middle point foward,(or do the oposite push the thickest point backwards) trace a line in the rail side from that line on both sides of the blank. That line is where you will be measuring thickness
7-Start planing the bottom, if you want to bring the foam down for exemple 10 mil pass the planner set for 2 or 3 mil once, bring stringer down with mini planer and erase the lines with the sanding block, after repeat pass planer again etcโ€ฆ untill you reach the desired thickness.
8- turn the board, plane not much (keep foam on the deck )and clean.
9- back to the bottom of the board, mark your outline again and cut it.
10- do your rail marks. (Greenlight tables), start with the tuck mark on the bottom.
11- do your concaves and shape the rails. Pay special atention to the edge it finishes arround 20 cms above end of side fins, the bottom of the rail stays square 90 degres and then starts rolling to round direction nose of the board.
12-bring down excess foam from nose and tail
12- mark fins ( shaper square helps not required).

Chears and good waves.

Use a PU blank for your first board. They are much more hand-shape friendly, especially for your first board.

Choose a simple design for your first shape. Blendingcurves website for free template.

Get a blank that is as close as possible to the shape. This way you donโ€™t need to worry about changing rocker or changing the blank shape too much.

Go slowly, may people overshape their first board and comes out much smaller/thinner then they wanted.

These tips above will result in the best 1st shape. Keep it as simple as possible.

The bare minimum tools needed: Calipers, Mini-Spokeshave, Flexpad Balsa Shaping Block, Long Surform, Egg-crate finishing pad.

If possible, take it to a professional glasser for glassing. They can point out some of your mistakes so that your next shape is better. Have your boards professionally glassed until you get better at shaping, then try glassing yourself.

shapersupply.com