Need some local swaylocks help

Hello all,

anybody near to foamez who is willing to pick a small spokeshave up and ship it to me in europe please?

it would save me 20-25$ in shipping 7$ tool

any 2nd hand spokeshave options are welcome too

btw, what tools do you all use in deep single concaves to shave those stringers down?

cheers 

Spokeshave is a very common tool. I would imagine you could find one local even living on Mars. I got one used locally off the internet.

They also make small finger planes that are like 1.5-2" long. That could work for your scoop.

I haven’t ever done a concave yet, but I notice sum shaper use surform or planer to start a single near tail… then sand to bowl it out. Watch sum vids man! Youtube it.

Hi Wouter,

Whats your mailing address,  I have a couple that I don’t use anymore.  I like small block planes better.

PM your address and any international mailing tips you might know

I’ve had a small Zona spokeshave for a while and never got good at it/liked it. Very light/unstable for my tastes. I’m sure there are others that have better experiences. I picked up a small Ibex Finger Plane and in my opinion they are MUCH better than spokeshaves for tight spots (concaves, nose-rocker, etc.) with a 8mm wide convex blade. A little pricey but in my view much more user friendly/effective than the little spokeshaves. Made for instrument-making so I’m sure you could find one locally.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/ibexluthiersconvexsolefingerplane25mm.aspx

Cheers for the offers, PM sent.
I did look into Ibex but for now I will keep it cheap. Youtube? Surform? Not my style, but thanks.

Skip the mini spoke shave altogether and get yourself a Wil-Kro Razor Plane or similar and set it up for curves.  I have two of these now.  One set up flat and one set up curved.  I’ll never us a mini spoke shave or those crappy mini block planes again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Wil-Kro-Razor-Blade-Plane-/271433532958?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f32b3061e 

to bad it has to be shipped internationally…the costs are horrible.

i got many little planes…if you are ever this way or have someone that can pick them up i’ll give you one and those superchargers as well !

herb

use a router wouter. Make a guide, use a tiny bit…idiot proof.

I like it!  What’s your guide look like? Thanks Charlie…

Hi Keith,

I would free hand it with my lamination router if I didn’t have the proper tool. What I described would be a straight edge of some kind to quide a lamination router with a 1/4" straight bit over the stringer. 

My personal clamping system of the quide would be a loving wife or disgruntled child(versus just plain old gruntled child). Hard to believe the land of wouter there are no stores with carpentry supplies. I think I could make one if I wasn’t so busy posting on sways. I can’t even remember the last time I used my spoke shave. For that matter what is a stringer good for anyway? 

Bb,
There are stores but no 6$50 mini spoke shave stores.
In my case the stringer is good ex because as a hobbyist I prefer to invest in a consistent (cnc) shaping result. I made about 30 crap boards and blanks by hand. In the next 30 years of my surfing life another 40 boards will not get me into the realm of good working boards. My waves… Are crap. So your design needs to be thrice as good to surf well. Good waves are not as demanding shape wise in my experience. I will look out for your posts then. Still into cork these days?

Fark wouter, you might want to try another hobby. Not sure where you are from but UK ebay has 8 pages of spoke shavers. I have ordered bike parts fro the uk with$35 dollar shipping to Hawaii??

You can have my stanley spoke shaver for cost of shipping. I never use it. Micro planes are where it is at. Just send your address and I will ship a spoke shaver and a micro plane on Monday. You can reinburse shipping to my pay pal account.

Crappy waves and you must surf…MOVE TO BETTER SURF!  If yhou want to check out Hawaii I have an extra room now my oldest child just moved to canada . There is more to life than surfing. Totally over rated in my opinion.

Caught waist high waves for two hours this morning all by myself on my exposed cork board. Friggin love the cork. On track for a couple dozen orders this year. All tooled up for the predicted demand. 

I’m with bb30 on wondering why you’re using stringers. CNC machines can cut stringerless, just tell your machine guys to suck it up and figure it out. It’s not hard.

But to help you get a plane, the ones that Clark Foam used to sell were made in Germany. You should be able to find them at a hobby shop/website. Somebody on here should know the name, I won’t be able to help with that until I can look at my museum pieces at work Monday. 

Cut one of those down short, angle the blade, and it’ll fit center of concave ok. Current trend in concaves is to push it out to rail anyway, center of board should be closer to flat.

Hi Wouter,

Can’t get it for 7$

but here is a link

http://www.baptist.nl/houtbewerkers/schaven/stanley-schaven/stanley-spookschaaf-152-rond

o topic but noticed you tried cork.

I will try an exposed cork deck on the next board.

Do you happen to have a piece 150 cm long? will be happy to buy it from you.

Is this just WAAAAAAAAY too cheap?! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-Craft-Flat-Curved-Sole-Skife-Knife-Skiver-Plane-DIY-Shaping-Leather-Tool/291862460601?var=&hash=item43f45bb8b9

I need something for nose rocker, I use a Stanley small plane for everything else which works very nice (disposable blades). Looking for a spoke shave but this looks almost worth a try at the cost of a beer or two! I would expect to be doing some honing before use

Also a question - I notice you can get FLAT sole spokeshaves or ROUND/CURVED sole. Which is best for nose rocker? I would think curved might seem obvious, but for a consistent cut as you move up the nose maybe flat is better?

A flat spokesshave is good for rounding something in length direction, for example rounding a square stick. For example rounding a wooden longbow. It works for light radiusses lengthwise too, but here the rounded is the better option. Additionally the flat can make convex radiusses lengthwise, where the curved can concaves.
Ever thought about a sori kanna?
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Plane-SORI-KANNA-Carpenter-Wood-working-Iron-Japanese-Vintage-920/282966444061?hash=item41e21d481d:g:byUAAOSwOhda-pkZ

I would not buy that one, it was the first that appeared, but you get them in better condition (the iron should look good) and even new.

Thanks, so curved is best? I need to spend as little money as possible which is why i looked at spokeshaves as they can be picked up cheap. Just wondering about flat or curved bottom and I think you answered that thanks.
Still tempted by this ! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leathercraft-Safety-Knife-Convex-Leather-Skiver-Plane-Sole-Plane-Flat-Curved/252709459234?var=&hash=item3ad6a85522

PS actually I am quite keen on this, looks a nice price and good condition https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROUND-SOLED-SPOKESHAVE-MADE-IN-U-S-/173316748301