New Epoxy & Polyester Resin Amount Per Board Length Chart

Hey All,

We get a lot of questions relating to “How much resin do I use for a certain length surfboard or Stand Up Paddleboard?” So we picked DaveySKY's brain, as he is a top notch glasser and very precise in his board building, for how much resin he uses when laminating, hotcoating, and glossing surfboards and SUPs. 

Here is the chart we came up with to help you determine both the suggested amount of resin for laminations, hotcoats, and gloss coats in epoxy and polyester resins; as well as the least amount of resin you can use on a surfboard (when you get as good as Davey at glassing surfboards)

Also included in this chart is the resin amounts for fin boxes (FCS II, futures, FCS Fusion, X-2 and Factory plugs, Gearbox2) as well as leash plug installations.

Click to save and print this chart and put it up on your wall for reference.

Amount of resin per surfboard and stand up paddleboard length

Thank you .

Just for clarification.  I assume resin units are oz.

Combine that with some mixing ratios for catalizing poly resin and temps and you’ve got a one stop chart.

Great chart. Any chance of converting the measurments from Oz to millilitres? :slight_smile:

Hey Spuddups

Sure we can convert the chart from oz to mL… No problem.

I’ll post it here soon.

Very useful information Brian.

Numbers are a bit small and fuzzy on printout.

Might help if you could split it up into two tables to increase number and font size/resolution.  Maybe one table for lamination numbers and a second for hotcoat and gloss numbers.

Bravo!  I’ve advocated in the past for a system of sorts that takes in to account length, weight, and number of layers of fabric.  This is so much better than the typical “12 oz per side” or whatever I’ve read around here in the past. Nice work Brian.

Hi,

I copy Greenlight’s pdf into an excel file so i can made personnal adjustment/remarks (for both oz and mL).

If others are interested:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/w3ds50

Thank you for sharing, those informations are very usefull !

Z.

[edit] changed the first version. In this one u have the copy of greenlight ‘oz’, the convertion to gr, and the convertion to mL assuming that the resin used have a density of 1.2 (i.e 1.2kg for 1L of resin).

Nice conversion Zourite.  

I tried using Adobe Pro X and got a mixed up jumble.

What software did you use for converting the PDF to Excel?

What software did you use for converting the PDF to Excel?

^^ I use my special "let's go on sways cause today's job is boring" -> get pdf on one screen and excel on the other and copy manually.

Z.

Ah, the old hand-type keyboard software.  I like your end product with the option of oz or ml.  You are a better man than me Gunga Din.

Saved me from using my method.  Create my own tables In Word.  Or…

Ask a secretary to re-type the tables.  But I did not want to push my luck.

You made it easy for me to create two independent tables with nice readable font/numbers – copy, cut/delete and save method.  Now I can easily create Word and PDF files, and convert to JPEG or other formats with Adobe Pro.

:slight_smile:

Hi,

Could anyone confirm/correct the fact that Davey’s amount are volumes ? it could be weight… and if so the convertion to volume should take into account the resin kg/L ratio… not just a oz -> mL convertion.

Z.

If you wanted to make that conversion using software OmniPage Professional or Ultimate would do the job.  You might have to tweak it a little bit after the conversion but it will be darn close.  OmniPage is the standard for converting text and scanned documents back into Word or Excel format.

Why did you convert to ml instead of grammes?

That is the current unknown, fluid oz vs. an oz of mass.   I assumed fluid measurement…

Are you out there lurking Brian?

Thanks for the conversion program tip mako.

Re,

I converted it assuming it was a volumetric table. But u are probably right it is surely a weight table.

So I changed the table a bit: oz -> gr and oz -> mL using a resin density of 1.2 kg/L.

Here is the result for the mL table.

Resine_amount_recommendation_mL

The excel file has been corrected on the first post.

Z.

Estimates based on my last lamination with 6 oz e-glass and RR KK epoxy put me in the middle between the maximum and minimum recommendations on the Greenlight/DaveySKY chart.  I used fluid oz (volumetric) as my units of measure for the combined epoxy resin/hardener mix.

I think we need Brian @ Greenlight to tell us the intended units of measure for his chart.

The Chart is by weight. We prefer using digital scales to measure epoxy resin mixtures.