Pier board

So last winter the pier in pismo took a serious beating and it’s being torn down and rebuilt.

I’ve got a batch of boards I plan to build from the rubble.

Some of the wood is high quality but it’s been far too long tracking it down so I figured I’d build a board that would display the life the pier has seen. Some still beautiful and some that’s failed and beaten by the weather.

It will probably spend most of its life on a wall pointing to the cities past but not until it’s had a few sessions under the pier that is replacing it.

Probably gonna be a slow build but I figured I’d document it for those that are interested.

I’ve pulled 50 or 60 old rusted nails out cut out my ribs - planed them down flat and laid out my rockers.

Next I’ll band saw them out and mock it up. Probably won’t get to this for a few days but we’ll see.

HECK YES! can’t wait to see how it turns out. awesome build theme

All that creosote will jack those blades. I watched then haul away the lumber to the city yard up by the sewer plant the last time they rebuilt. They’re not getting much longevity out of those Piers

I’m interested.

Thanks for sharing
Dave

This sounds like a nice project. I’m looking forward to seeing more images of your progress. A belt sander might be useful if you don’t want to dull the blades on your planer.

Yeah, this is awesome. What a good idea. Is that wood pine? Will the creosote dust mess up your lungs?

It was advertised as redwood(it’s not) it looks to be cedar. Anyone out there know for sure?

I’ve kept a mask on through out the journey. Most of the heavy lifting will be done outside. If I don’t eat the stuff or use it for sod in my vegtable garden, all seems well.

Cutting the wood will help you tell. Most people can identify the smell of Cedar, it’s almost a harsh sharp odor. Redwood has a sweet smell when cut and it’s quite different from cedar.

Nice idea, good luck. Be careful of the creosote.

I rescued some timber from a pier getting removed near me a few years ago. It was super heavy and I assumed it was just sodden wet. Got it home and dried out in the work shop for a few weeks. Excited to start the table and went to cut it, ruined a saw and a circular saw blade and then realised it was green heart. It’s still sitting where it got stacked… Sometimes romantic ideas get halted by an unworkable wood.

Well made some progress.

Wood is dry and cuts very nicely.

Got all my rockers cut, cleaned and mocked it up and then started to do some spot gluing.

Not sure if I used enough glue but I’ll find out soon enough.

Gonna have to do some serious weight trimming to this beast haha.

I did a chambered board out of sugar pine and redwood. Your gluing, as pictured, will be fine. For spot gluing, wood glue is like Brylcream, “A little dab"ll do ya”

What is the density of your wood (lbs per cubic foot)? I’m guessing it’s going to be somewhere between 20 and 30. My last balsa board build had 7 lb/cu ft wood.

How long is the finished board going to be?

The grain is looking awesome. It’s going to be a beautiful board.

The appearance of the grain, really looks like Douglas Fir, to my eye.

Tblank - I got it all glued up and it seem a to be pretty solid. Enough to rough shape anyways.

Swied - your math questions start where my math skills end haha.

I can tell you at the moment it’s 23" wide and 5’5 long. - finished board will be 20-1/2ish x2-1/2ish by 5’4.

I’m hoping to be about 25lb or less when done which I think should be able to hit. (Lots of chambering!)

Bill, I was thinking the same thing. If so, its a heavy wood for surfboard making, and watch out for splinters!

Cool project nonetheless.

Wood was so crusty it was hard to tell what it was. I’m on board with fir.

It’s a beast for sure but is coming along.

I cut my plan shape, roughed out my bottom and domed the deck.

Super fun to shape!

My biggest dangers so far have been exploding knots and a hidden nail. I might try a belt sander on the finish work and fine tuning.

Yep, could be Douglas Fir. Cedar generally has a much straighter grain. Also Cedar would be an odd choice for a Pier since it’s so soft. We don’t get a lot of Redwood over here so I’d be hard pressed to identify it.

95% shaped and then I cracked it apart.

The glue I used was plenty (could have got away with less)

I’ll chamber and glue back together hopefully later today.

Then I need to fill all the voids. I still want to see them all so I am going to try filling with clear casting resin.