post Hull pics

I was curious if anyone wanted to share their magic numbers? Height and weight relating to favorite board length, width and thickness.

I am 6’1’’ and 180 lbs. I have a 7’0’’ Liddle copy that was blown up in width and overall foil thickness; 3’’ thick and just under 23 wide. She can run in one foot micro peelers to about head high and not-so-perfect conditions. I basically bring her to any slide spot…

burnsie – go to the Six Feet to Fit article and the hit quicktime clip#8 off the right. the first ride in that clip is what i think is the quintessential hull style. ( who am i to say quintessential? but it’s what i dig about the hull) you see that glide/weightless move off the top. i could watch that clip over and over and over

HNY08 all.

-JC

Quote:
AG

nice one! that thing looks sooooooo fast! man i’d love to test pilot that bad boy! those small side bites just trip me out, they seem so insignificant in proportion to the center fin but i guess an airbag is invisible until it’s right up in the face - say no more

Maybe its more of a stubbie than strictly a hull- a hubbie? a stull? A CarbonHullStubbie=Chubbie.

Whatever.

The side bites do make a difference. The center fin could be smaller, too. Have toplay with that some more.

6’0’ might be kind of an on-the-fence length- could be shorter and looser or longer and glidey-er.

Time for another test ride…

Happy New Year Kirk,

Why all the sudden interest in Liddles after years and years of them being the exception rather then the rule ?

You are so right about them not being for everyone. I like to wait in the wings when these guys get fed up with trying to paddle and turn them. Then I listen to their stories of how poorly the board performs. There is a reason why hull riders remain a small numbered group of surfers worldwide. If I had the money, I would buy the boards from these guys on the spot. I would probably have a couple of dozen of them by now.

The Torrance Hull Riders Association (Saf, Jim, and I) will see you on the 12th at Mollusks.

"sounds like he almost discourages going short on a hull, says you loose the glide and you have to work the board more, like a thruster. what appealed to me about hulls is the continous flow and speed, "

See, that’s why I’m real interested in EFFICIENT keel fins or quad setups for those shapes, to keep the passive drive/glide in there

the outline toward the tail is a decaying curve and youre losing a lot of your hold there.

I see stubbies and think they’d better have some good wide tails or else put some lifty wings on near the rail–that’s my thought process about the overall release and it’s borne out by the comments I’ve seen about the standard hulls spinning out with the single fin setup.

There’s a couple of guys that combine elements of the two, but theyre all quiet about it and whatnot,

" Some guys think they want to ride Gregs boards, and just dont have the skill and patience to hang with it. Some people also just dont have the right style to ride Hulls, there not for everyone."

Absolutely KP! There’s going to be a lot of used Liddles out there in the near future based on the amount being sold divided by the steep learning curve and then multiplied by the skill level required. Square that with the over all need for instant gratification in today’s surfing population and throw in an inordinate number of ADD suffers in the 20-40 age group and… well, you get the picture;

lots of used hulls on the block.

Check Sways’ home page right now !

rincon was firing again today. all kinds of peelers in varying heights and speeds, and a crowd that was about the same as the surf, no sweat! i totally love my 6’8. it’s fun as can be.

9N78W

thanks for the links to killer malibu! some of those line ups look hairy! the thing with a shorter board i think comes down to speed in and out of a turn. klaus told me if you go too short that you will slide out based on the lack of rail in the water. so maybe that’s what the next generation is trying to pinch? it seems like it makes sense… keeping a rail in the water isn’t enough - it has to be a certain length to hold your weight in the juicy squishy spot or in a dead dog compression. your weight and height seem to determine the shape the board for you depending on how you want to ride. harder cutties and bottom turns might be more easily achieved on a board with less weight and a little less length in the rail. the side bites might be key in holding given the desire to come about fast and hard. from what i hear there is bottom turn and cutback footage in Alex Kopps’ upcoming movie that has stub fins dry as death valley and a rail just clear of davey jones’ locker. there is nothing contrary to traditional hull riding in really hard turns, they’re just about to get a LOT harder on shorter boards

i have to say it’s hard to imagine riding anything but this 6’8 for now, but i’m glad i’m getting a chance to own a KJ toe hull. 6’ 160lbs riding a 6’0 seems logical to me, any differing thoughts on length? i can’t wait to ride it in good waves but until it is under my feet i’m STOKED on my first Liddle hull. it’s the perfect all around board good for 1-3 or 4-6.5 oooooooor 8’…anything bigger than that and i’m pulling out a gun!

happy new years brothers and sisters! don’t drive if you’re going to drink. note: i am NOT saying “don’t drink!” …in fact if anyone is in LA tonight the Tiki Ti is serving it up n i’m about to get some! come gets!

hey miles, where in los feliz do you live?

flo (fellow huller)

some of us that have been hullin’ for a while have tried many different multi-fin set ups over the years.funny thing is those that i know anyway, are all back to single fin only.after a talk with dm the other day in regards to a stringerless 7 footer with little sidebites, it was something he liked due to fact it could be surfed with a more familiar thruster/tri-fin style. this is exactly what the liddle m3p is for to initiate those who have grown up on tri-fins to have an easy transition to the hull way of surfing…

Matt,

Another subject: In the Displacement trailer, is that DM doing those spread-wing cutbacks? I’m betting yes, based on the Chords fish trailer I’ve been watching at surfingthemag.com for a couple years now. Those are cutbacks.

I also saw someone say that footage had been sped up in places but it ain’t, is it?

g

those are indeed dan…

sped up? not to my knowledge. some of the old school fast surfing is steve k. -real time speed…knost at his add best pumpnig real time as well…

Quote:
Matt - " the Chords fish trailer I've been watching at surfingthemag.com for a couple years now. Those are cutbacks."

Matt

can you hit us with a link to that trailer please? i searched it over there but pulled up nothing.

on another note - i think i’ll be adding that “bead” of extra resin and glass to my tail this week, i somehow cracked my tail last session. then my 3lb dog knocked my Liddle over compromising just a bit the integrity of a rail…another glass patch! drat and double drat! i’m going to do some hot-mixing today prior to the next NW swell arriving. i’m ready to get some 4-6 faces under this baby!

happy new year y’all!

google alex kopps displacement. for older footage go to allaboutsurf.com. search for “six feet to fit” article. it has several clips of some hull ripping at malibu and maybe rincon(i don’t recall exactly what clips are there for sure)

Matt,

Is this the trailing edge of the fin base or is this the trailing edge of the raked tip of the fin?

Also is that for all boards, sub-six foot stubs all the way up to over eight footers?

I have been experimenting with a lot of different fins(rake, width, foil and flex) and do you find that that is the magic spot for all your fins?

Thank you for any information you have to share:)

Quote:

no doubt! hint: buy a wonderbolt for fin. start fin with measurement from tail ti trailing edge of fin at 12.75" then creep it up a little bit until you hit 13.5" notice the differences in how the board paddles, gets into waves, feels, hits gears, cuts back,etc. each time you adjust fin.my guess is the magic placement will be within measurements mentioned. you’ll get it and will have fun while your are at it!

Hi Motif

I’m along the same range of fin placement locations (from trailing edge of the base of the fin to the tip of the tail) as Matt suggested in previous post. Across the spectrum of the hulls in my quiver (currently from 6’8" up to 7’11"), the trailing edge of the (center) fin ranges from 12" to 14" plus or minus an 1/8" or so up from the tip of the tail.

On my standard ride on a standard day (7’4" hull in point surf), I’d say the fin is right around 13.5" up from the tail. This for me, is the happy medium between retaining enough control through a turn while giving me the zing I love from those bottom turns and high lines from the middle of the board.

Cheers,

-N.

Quote:
Quote:

Matt - " the Chords fish trailer I’ve been watching at surfingthemag.com for a couple years now. Those are cutbacks."

Matt

can you hit us with a link to that trailer please? i searched it over there but pulled up nothing.

http://www.surfingthemag.com/surfing-photo-video/surfing-videos/chrdsjby/index.html

great footage there of all of those surfers…thanks a ton for sharing that link janklow!

check out this 6’6" GL mollusk venice had when they opened! here today gone tomorrow - i can’t wait to see the new ones that are being shaped presently

i finally received my back issue of TSJ with the Stubbies article - great reading and awesome visuals - thank you very much!

yay! great clip that chords!

hey kooch - when you put that bead on the tail, post some pics.

Again - outside of protecting the thin tail a bit, what is it that the bead does? more release off the tail translates to what? More speed on smaller, weaker waves? y/n?

thx,

JC