post Hull pics

Hull quiver 08:

The battleship gray micro-hull is a 5’10" epoxy Fineline GeeBee courtesy of Mr. Brett Simundson of Mollusk, Venice. Just picked it up over the weekend, so no user feedback from me as of yet. The fin is a 9" Greg Liddle flexfin, might be a little too much but oh well. Any GeeBee riders out there having success with any particular fin setup? The board looks insane, I can’t wait.

The new liddle is 7’1" Pointbreaker–you know the drill. Butter all the way, best one I’ve had so far. 9" L-Flex on that one.

The old Liddle is an early eighties 7’6" that I learned to surf on when I was 10. RIP garage sale finds.

So I FINALLY got a copy of One California Day and I can say with zero reservations that it might be tied with Endless Summer as my favorite surf film. Kudos to Baffa and Jeremias. (Nice cameos, Matt and Kirk!)

The resin bead helps for a little bit better release , and is a bit stronger. As for these shorter hulls IMO they start to lose there glide out of turns around 6’6’’ then they need more leg input to keep them up and moving or a really GOOD WAVE. We went all the way down to 5’4’’ in the early 70s’ then everybody just started find what size worked for them. As I have aged I dont surf that much different on a 7’0’’ than a 8’0’’ I tend to pretty much draw the same lines, so I like the paddle of the longer boards at 54 yrs old.

Hey Ross, Happy New Year!! Glad you scored that GEE BEE thats a nice one!

Thanks Nico, the info is quite helpful. I have been riding the same 7’0’’ hull for the last 3 months at every session that I can get her in. It seems to me that the fin choice makes a pretty big difference in the feel of the ride. I have re-shaped re-foiled a least 7 or 8 fins and find that my board will ride better or “not as good” depending on the fins. As Matt put it “really fun along the way” just finding out what fin works great in what conditions and what kind of feeling you want to have.

Is there any advice anyone has to flex characteristics? Long soft bending flex or tight short flex? Running a thick spine down the whole length and really, really thin every where else like a windsurf sail? Twist, recoil? Again any advice is much appreciated.

Also I put a resin bead in the tail of my love… as Kirk said precise release in the turns… I found that it was easier to come around on cutbacks as well.

same to you Kirk, hopefully I’ll get a chance to surf that board with you before the season is through.

1. Mijknahs - hey can you take pics of the bead you laid on yr nose and tail of yr 7’4" Liddle, but from the side too. or actually just the side, cuz you already posted pics shot from above. i’d like to see the edge,and from what i gather, after you fill, you sand it down so that it’s like squared off the end ( the tail, that is. no rolled edge)

2. Question – to make the bead/edge, do you make a mold with masking tape, lay it upside down, and pour in the resin – then sand to shape?

3. Question ( maybe Stupid Question) – can you fill with the Solarez that comes in a tube, or is it too thick and difficulty to shape to properly fill in the mold?

I like the way my board rides already, and i’m skeptical about how much difference the bead makes. however i like the idea of a little more protection tail/nose.

hey rbushnell – i notice like a tucked edge on the rail and what looks like a flat(ter) bottom on the old Liddle in yr pic. that beegee is a trip – beautiful boards all tho.

-JC

yeah- measure to trailing edge of fin where it meets the base of fin.it sometimes help if you make a mark at that point which helps line it up to measurements along fin box

“The fin is a 9” Greg Liddle flexfin, might be a little too much but oh well. Any GeeBee riders out there having success with any particular fin setup?"

-I’m using the (new) TA Liddle flex 8" in my 6’2". It seems to like the shorter length and wider base. You will dig that little hot rod!

Very quick question. I am getting close to putting a fin box in my " hull" . It is six eight and has a rounded squash/arc tail. I know I want the box up pretty far up. How does one full stretched out “shaka” up from the tail sound? Any response, educated or even just inspired would be appreciated. Darren

10" box, 11" up.

yeah, that old board is much flatter and has fuller rails than your typical Liddle, but it still retains a little belly and a full-on s-deck profile.

9-10" up for the box. if there is some thicknes in tail, safe at 9. if foiled thin, better to go 10 so you won’t punch through the foam…

Here I go, I am going to try to put a name to a face for the sake of putting up another pretty picture. This picture is after the first of probably two neccessary hot coats. ( the joys of glassing outside). Who knows how it will surf but at least I should look good walking down the to the beach. Darren

ps. Thanks to the Vaqueros for bringing all those hulls to Big Sur over the years. I wouldn’t have tried it otherwise.

dude that board is insane looking - i so want to try that mother! looks like a blast!

Hi Jason,

1. Here’s a pic of the bead I put on my 9’2" Bojorquez. The tail is thicker than a Liddle, so the bead is thicker too. It used to have a slightly rounded edge all the way around the tail. Now it has a sharp 90 degree edge.

1. Pretty much.

2. Solarez will work fine. Pretty strong with those chopped fibers.

Hard to say if you’ll notice it but its like having a guard on the tail. Did you wet sand the bottom and rails?

Jim

that is how I did it, really good masking job and pour your resin. After it cured I sanded it with a wood block wrapped in sand paper to create a crisp 90. I differ with mijknahs in that I found immediate feedback in turns and… kind of hard to describe, but feeling like the board held… sharp… I liked the difference.

I also used solar-rez. I don’t think that I did the best job in sanding or preparing my resin bead and it broke off after awhile. I did not have any more resin so I used solar… worked fine. Just a little harder to shape and mold to into the desired form. Anyway if you don’t like it; sand it off.

Darren , NICE JOB!

is there any performance disadvantage to the bead off the tail? I wonder why the well-know hull shapers don’t make there tails like that right off?

i’m gonna do mine this weekend. but dry season here the surf is sporadic ( Jan-Mar). shoulda done it earlier so i can feel the diff right way.

darren- that looks pretty damn sweet!if it ridesd as good as it looks you are going to be stoked for sure!