post Hull pics

That’s a pretty nice looking stub. Ideal photos with the shaping lights. Can really see the curves.

I’m sure most of you are familiar with this in the resources but there might be a few that are not. Written by Paul Gross.

http://www.swaylocks.com/resources/detail_page.cgi?ID=456

I was especially fascinated with this part:

“If you want to use V, go up to 15.5” or even 16". Keep the V ahead of the fin. V behind the fin adds too much rocker to the rail line in the back. No drive. V in front of the fin flattens the middle rail rocker line, making the board fly out of turns. However, V kills the forward trim capability of hulls. Turns the board into more of a tail rider. Personal taste determines which is better."

Jim

Any resorce nuggets you can find from Paul Gross on hulls are priceless, he glassed for Liddle and worked with Greenough, plus a great writer. Ryan nice job on the 5’10’', you really need to sorce the right blanks for the S-deck on those stubs. I see alot of boards that have the S-deck forced on them , and they dont roll over on the rail the same,IMO.

Hey Kirk,

I don’t see why would the S-deck influence the way the board rolls over on the rail? I would think that is a function more of the bottom shape and rail (the parts that are in contact with the water) but not the deck necessarily. I mean, what if you had a raw, nicely shaped S-deck Liddle and then took a planer and shaved it down so it’s more of a flat deck? It doesn’t seem like that would make a difference on how it would roll over on rail (execpt that it would be thinner and flatter and therefore maybe flex more).

The reason I ask is because Steve K at “BOJO 58” was telling me that he would have GL shape his board (with Greg’s beautifully sculpted S-deck) and then then Steve would take the planer and get rid of the S-deck and make it flat (to GL’s dismay) because he said he liked the feel under his feet of a flat deck and the reduced buoyancy in order to sink the rail with less resistance.

Maybe you meant something else in regards to the S-deck?

Jim

Quote:
Steve would take the planer and get rid of the S-deck and make it flat (to GL's dismay) because he said he liked the feel under his feet of a flat deck and the reduced buoyancy in order to sink the rail with less resistance.

Jim

man, if i finished a painting to have someone pop it out of the frame and touch it up i’d be bummed no matter WHO was doing the finessing, that sounds nuts to me. i guess if you’re the man then you know what’s best and hindsight is almost always 20/20…at that rate why not just shape your own board?

last time i surfed Rincon i got to ride an 8’8" Andreini and a 7’?" vaquero thanks to A Kidman and Kyle Field (who’s music i recently discovered - really amazing) - i think a 7’ vaquero with a pulled tail would be perf for bigger waves at any local or exotic break… see attached file for inspiration, but that 8’8 was fun as hell too! i got up at 5:30 today and hit the road to Rincon to beat the wind and wet my gills. after arriving in an empty parking lot at 7AM all i found was dirty ass water with all the ash in the world floating around from the fires this year, ultra low tide, wind from hell and crossed up short interval 1’ slop … just nothing - it’s been too long since the damn rain started to F up the weather and from the look of the forecast it isn’t going to get any better for another week at best. SH*T! anybody else out there drying up like i am? much as i absolutely love surfing a perfect wave like rincon i am interested in finding a fast left that pitches hard on a rock bottom, anyone have any recommendations for the next clean swell? i’m guessing that if there is such a spot in CA it’s going to work best coming out of the south - waiting on this in the mail

this weekend is the premier of “Bustin’ Down the Door” in SB - anyone headed out to see it? i think it’s probably the best way for me to get stoked again so i’m pretty sure i’ll be there and then hit the Palace afterwards for some killer cajun!

Jim, Greg liked a deck with more foam and Steve likes a board with almost neutral float, (no deck) also Steve liked his boards a bit heavy , Greg likes um light. Everybody in our crew found what worked for them and slowly kept refining THIER boards over time, Greg made a template for each board for every customer and you could go back and make adjustments for your next one . Ive had some concave decks on a few and you bank them on rail and you couldnt get them to come out of the turn( to stiff). The S-deck has alot to do with how a Hull style board turns.

Ok. I’m not going to try any flat decks anytime soon. I’m stoked on my S-decks.

By the way, how was your surf trip “up north” during the “BOJO 58” weekend? Ever been up to Seaside?

Jim

So with all this foul weather up north my buddy finished up his 5’8’’ recycle-stub. 9-something Walden magic model that was trashed will now have a new life in addicting rail turns and twisted flex fin shots. Anyway no claim to perfection, actually far from but; non the less a fun project. Here are the spoils:

Sorry for the blurry photos, my camera skills are lacking…

that looks pretty cool! i find some s in the deck woks better for me because it allows for some flotation due to area in deck, whereas steve’s boards sit down in the water and are a bit tougher to paddle(at my age anyway and bum shoulders), plus i have high arched feet so they fit the s-deck better and give me something to push off on. if i surf a falt deck, it cause foot problems afterwards…steve likes his boards thin and heavy so they sit further down in the water, plus his hull is place more in center of board under his feet…( which is kinda like my v-bottom)makes it easier to surf further back on the board…

Super flat almost no rocker but it was an attempt at s-deck. Here is a couple photos after the hot coat.

hopefully run her through a few gears with this new swell coming…

Oh yeah, thanks to all with the advice regarding my fin questions. Talked to chuck and got a NGL and with a Wonderbolt my last few sessions have been really inspiring. It is crazy how a 1/8 of an inch will make one fin feel right and one fin feel wrong. It really is addicting…

surf crack!

Hey Matt,

Regarding the hull pulled back, would that be like adding V in front of the fin? I’m thinking of what PG said in the resource article.

http://www.swaylocks.com/resources/detail_page.cgi?ID=456

Jim

hey motif!

that board looks fast and fun as can be… awesome! i did an internet search a few days ago trying to locate a wonderbolt fin and turned up zero. where might such an acquisition be made sir - or anyone? thanks in advance for any information you can provide. new swell? this weekend? if only this wind would die a sudden death for us all, either way if there are waves coming i’m bound to get soaked

humbly

miles

It’s a finscrew that can be done with your fingers…

This might work but it will probably hum:

http://www.supersurfscrew.com/

This is what Matt’s talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WONDERBOLT-longboard-fin-screw-bolt-surfboard-single_W0QQitemZ150197406289QQihZ005QQcategoryZ114250QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Not to be confused with the wonderbolt fin system that preceded WAVE Set fins in the 1960’s

Ah-HA!

cool! thanks for the clarity McMalibu… i’ll try the wonderbolt, it looks awesome and easy enough to use. though the humming surfscrew is out, especially now that i have my screwdriver in my truck (which is running again after dropping the tranny going 80 on I-5 N…bummer!)

tomorrow i’m hitting BU earls (after i peep the cam) in lieu of driving all over hell and back - ZZZ

mijknahs – a simple analogy to why the s-deck helps you go up on a rail:

like standing in a round-bottomed rowboat/boat. stand in the bottom, and she’s more stable, and harder to rock. Stand on a thwart/bench - and you’ve changed her stability… much easier to rock/roll her on to her beam ends

jim- really close for sure. pretty much same location but not as radical as the v-a little more evenly distributed.

“If you want to use V, go up to 15.5” or even 16". Keep the V ahead of the fin. V behind the fin adds too much rocker to the rail line in the back. No drive. V in front of the fin flattens the middle rail rocker line, making the board fly out of turns. However, V kills the forward trim capability of hulls. Turns the board into more of a tail rider. Personal taste determines which is better."-PG

So I guess Steve utilized the advantage of the pulled back hull (similar to V) to make the “board fly out of turns” but flattened the hull up front to avoid reducing the forward trim capability. From the limited clips and pics I’ve seen of Steve, he was not lacking in forward trim speed.

Jim

exactly…

Hull I just made and posted pics back a page or two on this thread has flattened hull down center in nose. No vee anywhere. But I definitely noticed increased trim speed and paddling and easier wave catching w/ flatter nose. Maybe a bit less of that ineffable “pull” feeling though I am not hull tuned enough to say for sure.