ProBox on the Move - ProBox / Larry

Hey Randy, that’s a great review, thanks. And the best thing is - you got waves. #1 requirement in traveling as well as fin testing. :slight_smile: Sounds like a good trip.

I’m interested to try the 0* fronts on my quad set - I made a 10’0 longboard versa plane and like it best with quads too - but at 6* front, 8* back.

You might have liked the setup with the small trailers if you also put in a 3" center trailer. It tightens up the responsiveness & drive a little, but I agree that it takes a good wave.

So, if you were paddling out to an A-frame with rights & lefts, can you think of an asymmetrical setup that would work well?

Larry or anyone in the know:

What are the height/depth of Proboxes? I’m concerned about rout throughs on thin tails

Aloha Bud:

If the router is setup correctly the depth of the routed hole should be a hair over 11/16" [23/32" to be exact]. Any shallower than this and the box will be sitting on the bottom of the routed hole with very little resin underneath it.

-Robin

Randy, Glade to see you had a safe and exciting surf trip and had fun using Probox. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Welcome back! Mahalo,Larry

Here some pics from Guy Takayama’s contest this last week end at Oceanside with Guy in action and people all around. Dick Dale the guest of Honor for entertainment, middle pic. A fish board shaped by Guy Takayama and done with a Golden Leaf inlay and glassed at Moonlight glassing in Honor of Dick Dale that went for silent auction, right pic.

Here are some more Guy Takayama Boards at the Oceanside contest for Auction, signed by some surf legends.

Thousands of people at the contest sight with over 125 people registered to surf in the contest at Oceanside Pier.

Here’s the party area at Guy Takayama’s contest with live surf music the whole day, ending with the awards which I made to be handed out with the checks. Mahalo

Quadfires…Moving to spitfire thread.

Just wanted to take a moment to let my Swaylockians friends know that BRAD BASHAM in San Clemente will be carrying ProBoxes in his store to better serve you. Basham will have ProBox in Stock next week. Tell Chuck at Basham’s, Larry sent you and feel free to ask them for any other products of ProBox or Fibre Glas Fin you would like if they don’t have it in stock. Brad and Chuck welcome to the ProBox movement. Mahalo,Larry

Here’s a new JC HAWAII Quad with New Hanalei Wing Series fins. This 5’11" polyester board for a good friend Joe K. is alittle over 5-lbs with fins.

Hey Larry, sorry if the answer to my question is in the archives, but tried a search with no results. How can i get proboxes here from the Basque Country?

Thanks.

Maybe a stand in Mundaka’07 ? :wink:

Aloha sUgOi:

The closest distributor is going to be in the UK, but we would be happy to ship product too you directly from here.

Do you have a distributor of materials in your area that would be a good person to distribute our system?

Let us know if you need anything and we will be happy to take care of you, mahalo!

-Robin

Sugoi, if you plan on ordering anything from Robin, maybe we can order something together and share shipping costs.

Robin, here people is so sold on FCS (and so blind), but let me know if i can help you finding a distributor in Spain (if that’s what you’re looking for).

Sugoi, by the way, i’ll be in France next week, on the WCT, and i have to be also in Mundaka.

Aloha Coque:

We are always on the lookout for people who might be interested in distributing our system, even motivated individuals.

I would really like to get some product into your hands so that you can try the system, I’m more than happy kick in some of the shipping so that we can get you guys the product.

If you are interested send Larry or myself a PM and we will figure something out.

If you do know of anyone that might be a good distributor we would like know about them, mahalo!

-Robin

Hey Coque, check your PM.

Bye.

So mostly inspired by this thread, I decided to do some similar testing…

I just got back from 4 days at San Onofre, surfing 4-5 times a day, through all tides, in waist to shoulder high beachbreak. For the trip, I made a fin testing platform out of a 10’ surftech, by adding 4 Proboxes in addition to the center longbox. I’d made a 5-box longboard before, but that had my ‘normal’ noserider rocker & rails and I don’t think I was getting everything out of the fins that I could with a different board. I read carefully Randy Rarick’s post about his (signature) Surftech for fin testing on a trip, and I pretty much tried to do the same thing he did. I’ve found that cant angle is radically important to performance, at least in the longboard.

All quad testing was done with the same 4 fins - 4.5" Hanalei paddles front, 4" Hanalei rakes rear. Trailing edges of the fins are at 6" & 12", front toe is 3/16", rear is 1/8", both boxes are 1 1/8" off the rail at the rear mark. Big thanks to Scott at FF&F for getting them (and the inserts) up to me in time.

With fronts at 8* and rears at 6*, the board would whoosh around in a deep gouging turn - on a dime - like a waterski, when back foot force was applied right over the fins (this is not my normal style of surfing, so it was quite a surprise to feel it). It would also, a little surprisingly to me, noseride very well. Lots of hold. On the downside, it slowed in straight-line trim, like a thruster and didn’t pump for speed at the center of the board very well either. So basically good in the pocket, not so good in a high line or on the shoulder.

With fronts at 4* and rears at 0*, it was a totally different board. Felt like a narrow, raked single fin going straight - very fast in trim and easy to steer from the middle of the board. But also loosened up when I backed up to over the fins & rollercoastered easily. But - no hold or stability for noseriding. Get just past the center and it felt like there were no fins at all.

So then I split the difference and went to 6* & 4*. Predictably, it did a little of all of the above, but nothing very well. If I was glassing on or using a fixed system, it would be tempting to install these midpoints, but it would never be as good a board as it could be otherwise. So the other option is to choose (compromise) with either the noserider/turning quad or the speed quad which obviously brings out one kind of good performance but limits the versatility. Or put in ProBox

I did also try it out as a thruster, generic-looking 4.5" rakes all around (the Probox plastics for the sides), center’s back edge at 5", fronts at 12". Felt as draggy as the high-angle quad, but without the noseriding. No thanks, won’t bother with that one again. I also rode it a few times as a single fin, which was good on the mushier higher tides. Randy said his favorite setup was actually 8* fronts and 0* rears. Unfortunately, I didn’t remember that until I got home & re-read his posts so I didn’t get a chance to test that. Soon, though.

Sorry to ramble, but testing is always fun. And, on a longboard quad at least, cant angle seems to be the most important adjustment. If you can decide which type of performance you want, no need to adjust it. But if you want to be able to tinker with it, put in Probox. Had good conversations with Matt Calvani & Stingray Ray about Probox, and they’re really digging on the products like I am. Great stuff Robin, Larry, et al.

I have more photos of fins in the boxes on the computer at home if anyone wants any…

Aloha Benny1:

Great read!

It is always great to read about someone actually going out there and trying all these different combinations. This really vindicates our feelings that if people just had the option to try changing the cant and the fin position they would soon realize just what a difference it can make, if they were prepared to make the effort.

It is true that there are a lot of variables, because not only can you change the cant or the position but then there is the fact that you can also change the fin template. But man is it fun to find out for yourself what all of this does. I just love it!

As a surfboard designer it is like a dream come true being able to build a board and not have to worry that you might not have got the fins right and therefore you will never know if you did the right thing. Now you just build it and then dial it in till you find that perfect combination. It is amazing to me how many times the perfect combination is something totally unexpected and not what you would have thought.

Sounds like you had fun doing it, that alone is worth it!

Thanks for taking the time to pass this along really appreciate it. I for one would love to see photos of the various fin combos.

-Robin

Well…since you asked :wink:

Here’s the Hanaleis as fronts on a 4.5" thruster set, set at 6*. This is actually a setup I tried last week at home & it was better than the 3-rakes I tried over the weekend, but I just don’t like the draggy feel in trim.

Here’s a 2+1 with little FCS GL’s at 8* in the front and a 6.5" TK Flex in the back (did I mention how cool it is that FCS fins work in your boxes? Heck, they’re everywhere. People upgrade to glass & shops will hand you the plastics that came with someone else’s board if they didn’t want them. “Free” is a 4-letter word that gets my attention.)

Here’s a quad set in all plastics that I took out last week at home. 4.5" probox fronts at 8* and the FCS GL’s in the back at 6*. Great hold, but less drivey than all the Hanalei setups. I think the fins were overflexing under my 220lbs.

But I also tried a thruster with these in the front & that red 4.5" fin in the back while I was down south - that was the one I won’t try again.