Reverse rocker ??

What does “reverse rocker” mean ?

tail value more than nose value ? Back curvature rounder than front curvature ? Something else??

1 Like

For me, this applies to nose-riders’ rocker where tail lift is more pronounced than nose-lift. In the '80s, when longboards started to come back to the front of the scene, correctly rockered blanks were not immediately available and I know some shapers who started to use blanks backwards, positioning the nose where the tail should have been and vice-versa.

Easy way to visualize: take a blank, lay a template on it, with the nose of the template on the tail of the blank.  Mark the shape and cut it out. Reverse rocker!

side note: give nan some upvote points guys, needs 10 to reply in a thread.

People who have been here since 2004 shouldn’t need to be spotted points.

+1 for staying power

I have used the term to describe a tail rocker that has a slight reverse curvature at the end.  The board may still have tail rocker but it is sometimes fun to throw in what appears to be a lengthwise concave through the tail.  A straight edge along the stringer will show a bit of light between the straight edge and blank.

I did this on a recent handplane project. This one has a concave, reverse rocker, and a bit of sidecut through the outline.

some times

I get mixed up…

Is that one of your hplb’s mattwho? Any relation to the board huck has been riding? I dont usually get excited about longboards, buy that look super nice and looks like it could fit in some good waves!

Really, I thought that was all BS

I see your tail reverse flip, and raise you this haha

From thread

http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/extr0vert

i was thinking same as john and yorky

all too often there is a misconception just turn the blank around, reverse rocker just means the tail has more than the nose, a well planned RR has a longer planing areas through center with the tail flipped closer to the end of the board, Spinning the blank around makes the tail rocker meet closer to center 

I could argue 2 different cases on the info given in your post…

break it up with  a        ', ’      a    '. ’      and a new paragraph.

is the whole post a misconception ? or ??

This is what reverse rocker is , it lasted for a very short time around 1969 .

Ben Aipa shape 

Here are a couple “reverse rocker” boards from DeweyWeber.com

also

And here’s a comment regarding one of Stretch’s “reverse rocker” longboards you can see the pic here http://stretchboards.com/boards/surfboards/tail-dragger/

So am I missing something, are these boards using inverted rocker, with a concave curve, like in Greg’s picture?  Or are they** adding **rocker in the tail, while using correspondingly less rocker in the nose?

Niether of these persons were making boards in this time period .

Similar to the use of Spiral Vee .

Obviously two different concepts being called the same thing… 

What Jim said;  but novice shapers sometimes do this by complete accident and overshaping…  When it is not distributed throughout the blank(as described in Jim’s post) it will be a “dog”,  Lowel

Oh yes!  The ever elusive and seldom seen “Spiral V”. As rare as a Kit Fox.

Hey Lowell buncha kit foxes live on campus at the university here, they’re protected status.  They’re nocturnal, so late night or pre-dawn is the best time to see them, cute little critters no bigger than a kitty cat.

People can use any word however they want, and language changes over time, shambles used to mean a meat market, and let used to mean hinder. If current usage among guys like Balsa and Stretch and the Dewey Weber crew is in agreement, that’s the usage I’ll go with for now. To each his own.

It was also called under camber  - side slipping was the rage then .