Robin Mair - you da man !!!

Got some provisions from Robin at Probox and included were some funky looking fins which on looks alone made me question the possibility of them actually working ..... (lol) (lol)

They are "insane" ..... I don't know if there meant to go on fish type boards but Robin many many thanx

The absolute lift, speed and control these puppies produce is amazing and I haven't even played around with settings yet, in fact I don't even think the board is 100% right for them ....... ( just starting profiling something to suit the fins, go figure shaping a board to suit the fins) .... not that, thats strange I suppose ... (lol) (lol)

The board I plugged them into had been in intensive care for about 3 months after a major incident .... had to refit four box's and a hole the size of two golf balls ...... refit was not my standard cluster set up due to damage but hey could have fluked it right[img_assist|nid=1056001|title=Robins Fins|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=0|height=0][img_assist|nid=1056002|title=Robin Fins|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=0|height=0]

yup, Robin's the man for sure...

had the pleasure of dropping by his place a few weeks ago and talking shop for a couple hours... there's lot's i could say but "you da man" sums it up pretty well...

those are the next fins on my must try list for sure.

Hey Chris-P

Yeah .... will drop him a line re what he considers OK to dial into a board for this type of set up

I just know, (gut feel) on feedback I got out of these fins that a nice edge length of board, complemented by suitable rocker, (almost Griffin like 11 herbs and Spices) will tweak the beast in them again .... insane !!

W

Wow cool - Those fins are a trip

in process

Robin Mair

Totally agree - Robin is da man… Robin shaped me a board about 3 months ago and it has these fins… Insane board and I haven’t been riding anything else

The quiver killer :slight_smile:

Hey Bud

How goes it ??????????

Always good to see you dialing into the swayzzzzzz

Trippyyy aint the word .... the looks I get on the beach and my crew on the beach shaking their heads wondering what I'm on this time .... (lol) (lol)

But that said when they see them come to life in the water heads shake for other reasons .... love' em

Their a strange feel, it's like the front fins initiate the turns and at the same time load the rear hatchet fins ..... feels like the shafts in the hatchets actually slightly twist or load the heads. .... and then "twang" .... hmmmm, hmmmm

If you have a close look the head of the hatchet actually sticks further out in front than the shaft to initiate or amplify the front fin loading effect on them ...... very clever "Robin Mair" 

Anyway going on a bit here ..... always good to touch base with you "bud" .... you still tweaking twinnies

Eastern Pacific thanx for the picsssssss

W

PS how do you enlarge pics to post.... did miss that class ??????????

[quote="$1"]

Their a strange feel, it's like the front fins initiate the turns and at the same time load the rear hatchet fins ..... feels like the shafts in the hatchets actually slightly twist or load the heads. .... and then "twang" .... hmmmm, hmmmm

If you have a close look the head of the hatchet actually sticks further out in front than the shaft to initiate or amplify the front fin loading effect on them ...... very clever "Robin Mair" 

[/quote]

that's how he explained them to me... very interesting

how old are those pics Epac?

when i was there, he had a bunch of G10 fins cutout...

i'd love to try them in G10

when i was there last month Robin showed me the prototype and said he was getting lots of good reviews on the design and that he was building them out of G10 too. I’ve always appreciated how they treated this no name backyard builder when they came out with probox. But they treated everyone that way, Good personalized service is a very rare thing to find in this business anymore especially for the non professional builders.

Robin is da man for sure in many ways…

ChrisP I’m surprised you didn’t mention his you can eat off the floor shaping room and his brand new shiny planer.

What’s interesting is that he said he’s pretty much converted 100% to quads  and that he’s using this fin set up on even his big wave hanalei bay guns.

And Robin in case your reading this my brother SharkCountry and I will be in Hanalei next week to catch a few if the rain would finally stop and the water clear out so the men in the grey suits will leave the bay as there must be some big stripey ones out there as I speak. Hopefully we can see PPK, you and the others while we’re there.

Yes, The guys at ProBox deserve our Love and Respect....They have earned it, and no one can talk or beat it out of me.

I just got a load of boxes from ProBox Larry the other day, the order was clean accurate, fast, all that stuff were not a ccustom to in the surf industry. 

Robin and Larry are always there to help out with fin placement, templates, etc, etc.  RESPECT.

I hope they become millionaires very soon, or at least have to pay taxes in that over 250K bracket everyone is talking about......that would be cool.

[quote="$1"]

ChrisP I'm surprised you didn't mention his you can eat off the floor shaping room and his brand new shiny planer.

[/quote]

i was amazed at how clean the room was when i first walked in. first thing i noticed. also, how every tool had a place and was neat and tidy. no looking around for that dang sanding block... that shiny new planer was gorgeous!

so much stuff that we talked about had my mind swimming and racing for days. he opened my mind to a lot of concepts with board design that i've never considered...

he's been shaping 40 years and is still stoked and excited about building boards and surfing... i'd love to be where he is when i get to be his age...

Oneula, i think i missed you by a week. that would have been a sweet get-to-gether.

sounds like this guy knows his stuff and always trying different things too..shame he is along way away from me...I do alot of quads too, probably 75% of my boards are quads, but I have a great fin guy but here in Oz its all FCS and most surfers have them so it'd be silly to change, but definitely like the sound of these fins, would be very interested to try some, I have tried alot of diff quads but none like those ones and I sure do like my different designs both in boards and my fins......maybe I can shape myself 1 board to try these and slip some proboxes in .....???.....

www.moresurfboards.com

I’m sure Robin will see this and would respond himself, but I think you could get what you want if you asked him. When I picked up my fins from his workshop, he had several sets underway. By the looks of things, he had to commit a week or so to fins as it required a substantial set up and amount of time away from shaping. His idea’s and skills are reassuring, and there is a lot to assimilate when wisting him. 

I picked up a set of T- 2’s and 0 degree inserts for my longboards. Robin showed us his 9’ 4" quad longboard with vacuum bagged bamboo skin deck patch with yellow tint bottom and rails weighing in  at under 14 pounds. 

Thanks Robin, good seeing you again!

Camron !!!

How goes it old mate, if you recall you put me on to Robin some years ago now.......  glad you did !

Love to see some pics of your new go to board :-)

Oneula !!

My experience exactly with Robin, if he says something, it's set in stone and done .... a rare trait in the commercial world

Pridmore,

FCS fins slot straight into Probox in fact easy enough to make your own fins to slot in. Futures even made a range to fit !!

Big advantage with Probox is the flexibilty and range of settings you can dial into any board your experimenting with ...... without having to shape multiples in order to dial in cluster settings.

After that I / you can glass fins in, with confidence ......  

W

The boxes are what makes Probox special. You can change a board’s riding characteristics by changing the insert, moving the fin up or back.

The fins are the icing on the cake. They have stronger bases, but FCS fins work just fine in a Probox, just add the v cut to hold them in better.

The box's are unique and provide a perfect platform for "anyone" that wants to experiment with their own fin templates or commercially made ..... go your hardest

I've found no other system that provides that "glassed on fin" feel that Probox's do .... solid azzzz !!!!!

While on the subject of solid, the boxes comfortable accomadate big twin fins and keels alike without a speck of give. I don't know how many FCS plugs I've seen pop with the MR twinnies in them ...... not the plugs fault or glasser... just not designed for it ...... so how can the fin be doing it's job

While on the subject, try this little exercize, cut the tabs off a fiberglass FCS fin, glass it on and tell me it feels the same as a plug mounted fin ??????? ........... actually performs much much better

See ya SharKieeeeeeee

W

with such solid recomendations, I'm more keen to try some....

re. the MR twins, they need 3 tabs, same as the big raked twins and keels, so I use 3 tabs when doing these type fins and hand foil the fins to suit...none popped out yet....

I ordered 30 or so boxes and have been turning local surfers on to them when they order a board or blank or what not.What really sells them are the fact that most have fcs fins and they fit right in proboxes.Then when you show them the assortment of fins that they can use on the probox site its a done deal.I’m also selling the quads to guys who normally ride tri’s.If you haven’t tried them you should!