Robin Mair - you da man !!!

I recently built my first board which included my first ever finbox install. Probox was really easy for me and they came out super strong. The only blunder was due to having never held a router in my life, I underestimated its power and clipped the edge of 2 of the jigs. The nice thing is I can pick up extras for real cheap. Robin has also responded quickly to my fin inquiries and his fins look amazing, can’t wait to get a set.

Aloha Foamhead:

I can certainly make some up that size as a few people like to use that size as side bites on their longboard. They also work really well on smaller boards.

Once I get them made up I will send them over to Lance so that you can just get them from him.

I have been making a few minor tweaks to the template to improve it and make it a little easier to foil, as currently they are really tough. These changes are very subtly but should make a difference in performance!

I'll get a pair of the new tweaked versions too, have contacted Lance and will get the jigs and stuff real soon, but definitely keen on the new and improved versions....

Aloha pridmore:

The revised versions are going into production today and should be done towards the end of next week. As soon as I get them I will send a few sets down to Lance and he can let you know when he gets them. He already has a set with the original H2 back fin, but if you want the revised version there will be a little wait. The teaks are fairly subtle, but will make a difference. I will be sending Lance two different colors RED TINT and the other a SMOKE TINT. NOTE: the front fin is unchanged only the H2 back fin has been updated, now called the H3!

I’ll have Lance send you a message when he gets the fins, mahalo!

All good Robin .....

I may even get a complete set as back up ...... smoke sounds fine

W

Aloha foamhead:

I’m making you a set of the HF375H3 in the RED TINT, but if you want another complete set they will have to be in the SMOKE TINT as that is all we have for panels at the moment. Although I do have enough of a panel that I could make one set in a RED TINT here in Hawaii, so that is another option.

Hey Robin ......

Not a biggyyyy mate ..... just do me the 375's in the red

Then I'll go thru inventry you send Lance and if there's a complete set of 375's in the smoke, then I'll probably snavell them up as well ..... no big deal

Take care ... don't work to hard (lol) (lol)

W

Hi Robin, I’m ready to put fin boxes in a new board I’m making. It’s 6’6" x 20 1/2 round pin with little wings.

I want to use your quad set up for the boxes. How far from the tail should I put the front of the forward boxes, and should I use 1/4" tow? I think I can figure out all the rest based on what you told us.

I’m also going to add rear boxes to a couple of other boards I have, but I’ll just put them 7/8" back from the forward set. It will be interesting to see how much difference it will be.

I’ll also have to get a set of fins from you, or steal a set from Bernie. Would the size of my boards, 6’4" to 6’6", make a difference in the size of the fins?

I think Bernie’s also thinking of adding rear boxes to a couple of boards.

Thanks for spending some time with us and letting us pick your brains.

Howzit sharkcountry, How was your trip to Kauai and did you get any waves and get to meet some other Sway guys besides Robin? I imagine it has changed a lot since your last visit to the Garden Isle. Aloha,Kokua

Hi Kokua,

We saw Robin, PPK, and Ambrose. Bernie also saw Steve Lis, and we saw my friend Kamuela Aea.

I used to go over to Kauai to shoot video and photos at ASB branches every year, and my family has vacationed there a couple of years ago, so the island hasn’t changed much since I was last there.

I wish we spent more time in the water though. We only surfed a couple of hours, and I had a go pro camera on my head. I had to be careful about the camera because it wasn’t secured well, so I wasn’t able to let loose and surf free. Bernie said I looked like an idiot, but I did it to get shots of him surfing. I ended up with about 5 seconds of him catching a wave, a couple of my rides, and whole lot of crap.

I think those cameras are only good for close up shooting. On the waves where I behind someone it worked OK, but if I wasn’t right there, it was too far away. 

Those were the most expensive waves I ever had. I’m probably going to wait until you get a chance to come back before I go over again.

Robin had some interesting fins he’s working on and now I want to get a set. We had a chance to talk about fin placement and boards, so it was good to see him. It would be really cool to try one of his eggs. I think something about 7’10" would be the one board quiver for me.  

Meeting Ambrose and talking to him was a treat. He’s a very interesting character. Definitely someone you want to meet.

Seeing my friend Kamuela again was the icing on the cake. I haven’t seen him for about 5 years, and Bernie hasn’t seen him since 1974, so that was a treat. We were really good friends, and played water polo in high school. Kamu is quite a serious waterman, he does the Molokai to Oahu paddle board race every year, and he does OC-1 races as well. He’s married to Laola Lake. He said Sanoe just had a baby about 3 weeks ago, so she’s been staying with them.

Hopefully we’ll see you before long, and spend some time picking your brains as well. Good to learn from the masters of this craft.

Aloha, Harry

Aloha Sharkcountry, Sounds like you got to meet most of the boys except DMP. Glad you got to meet Stevie sincehe is an rally good friend and great shaper. Most of those guys spend their time at Black Pot ( Hanalei Bch Pk ) and I figured you would find Peter there and he is another good friend,I hope you and Bernie told them you know me from Sways, I really miss them all. What is a trip is I have never met Robin in all the years he was there, but that happens if your schedules are different but he knew of me just the same as knew of him. Yep Ambrose is quite a character and has his world ight were he wants to be and every body likes him since there is nothing not to like about him. I am glad you and Bernie had a good time and hope you get back there sooner next time. Aloha,Mike

aloha

had been window shopping for a looooong time

currently surfing twin fins up front in my springfish, and sidebites in the back, futures

somewhere i read most fins look a like

and they do!

now, robin does make fins that look different, and if you dont understand design, they are weird.

this set of fins made me tick, because i saw drive up front, with easier turning

and still enough hold but pivot in the back to give a solid feel, you turn up front but follow up with the back fin

after many cool, service minded, stoked e-mails i finally have them at home

can you guys immagine those fins travelled half the world!! from the mecca of surf to… holland.

service comparable to the coil service, different, but equally professional

the board is not yet ready, but when it is, ill post it up, with a ride report

i just wanted to say [already]: 

Robin Mair, you da man !!!

Thank you Robin

Stoked on these bad boys

Were these fins made for FCS fusion boxes?

Aloha:

Yes, they were made for FCS, when I’m doing custom fins myself I will occasionally make them for FCS if requested, typically I only do this with G-10 as I think it gives a stronger tab, but I have done plenty with fiberglass like the ones in the photo. BTW, the fins shown are HF475AS front fin and HF400H3 back fin.

Hey Robin,

How you been old boy ???

How are Twinzer proto types going … need any independent, offshore R and D done ??? … (lol)

BTW, for anyone whose interested I’ve been riding my HF475AS front fins with the smaller rear fins from the Epi cutaway series and it is a sweet combo

W

Aloha Foamhead:

Good to hear from you I was just about to respond to your email.

Twinzers are going great been making a few sets out of G-10, just did some for a friend of Wouter’s that were sent to the Netherlands.

Attached is a photo of the lastest set, these consist of the HF350QTS canard fin with 10º of cant built into the base, and the HF525AS back fin.

I use a set of these in my longboard with the only difference being my HF525AS is a hybrid G-10/Bamboo fin, photo also attached.

Enjoy!

Now now now Mr Robin

You can’t expect to wave those puppies under my nose and get away with it that easy … haaaaaa !!!

Any ride reports ???

You know I like sticking a twinzer or two under my arm and go missing for a month or two

Responded to u’r email… Lance got any of these in bottom draw anywhere on the mid north coast … maybe ???

Get me set over here mate with next shipment

W