S-Plug fin system

Came across this fin system on the web this morning.  Never seen it before but it looks like a good alternative to FCS.  Anybody using these????  No distributor in the US yet.

I’ve been ruined by probox hahaha. They look good, but yeah, im sold on probox. Even better than the probox boxes, apart from the crazy easy install, are the fins. Pure magic fins.

No im not on the payroll!!

**Well, **

It appeas that there is more material between the corners of the receiving slots and the ouside perimeter… unlike the FCS X2. The cog configuration is a nice idea to prevent twisting and serve as a quasi flange of sorts.

Guys with Pro Box will most likely stay with prove box.

**I personally switched to FCS Fusion when they first arrived and have never looked back. **

**No need to… they are superior to this approach and many others AND they are quick and easy to install. **

How strong are those “peanuts”?

**Well, when I tested them I took a board, glassed the deck and dropped the Fusion into the bottom using a slurry of milled fibers and a smidge of q cell. I then did a cheater coat (just a squeegee’d resin coat on the bottom to seal the foam)  and had my secret rider go somewhere obscure and ride it. I told "surf it like you would normally surf any board. That’s right NO GLASS over the boxes or on the bottom period…

**The board came back fully intact. **

**Gotta love them peanuts. Where’z the beer?

**Proof enough for me.

If you’ve cut your hole for the plug, and that extra flange bit of plastic ended up hard against your bottom glass job with little or no resin between the plastic and the glass, would it not be a weak spot? or an area that would crack easily and leak/break?  Thats the problem I see with that plug system…no?

no.

I for one would like to try them.  I’ve even thought of making some moulds over the winter so I could cast my own plugs.  

I’ve got a quad set sitting in my shed just waiting for me to finish my next board. I’ll give you a review once they’re installed. I got a lot of my shaping supplies from Shapers, including glass, sanding pad, plugs, finbox and a couple of other little items.

This.

Haven’t seen anything that’s swayed me yet.

[quote="$1"]

Came across this fin system on the web this morning.  Never seen it before but it looks like a good alternative to FCS.  Anybody using these????  No distributor in the US yet.

[/quote]

Lies, Lawsuits, Lawyers, surfers,patents and misinformation....rumors too....don't quote me.....I'm a surfer....

I love plugs because they always fail. Good for the repair guys!

The little guy from Hawaii made a box that is strong and will work with an FCS fin. Then lawsuit. Little guy wins....big guy needs to destroy little guy and comes out with a box..... a copy of the little guy's box...who made who?  

is my story real or not???????.........

Plugs fail...ask any repair guy. Go with LokBox or ProBox or Future......

or call me when you need to get your board fixed....most blown out plugs take away some glass....I really miss fixing all those FCS plug boards.........."Oh, it must be a bad install"....ha ha ,,,yeah right.....

Looks like The New Fin Plug company has some sort of patent on a design that really came from the Big Guy.

Ugly stuff.........................kind of sad really.......

Been using them for a while. The guys at Shapers sent me a set to try a while ago, put two SINGLE plugs as side runners on a Hull and made two 4" single tabbed fins to fit - so far no problems. Have since used them in ALL my custom boards and have only had to do one repair (jump off onto a rock!). I really rate these plugs. For a small town board shaper, ding repair guy the majority of my time and $$$ is spent replacing FCS (I love you guys - you’ve funded all of MY new boards!) that have been poorly put in by both big name brands (won’t mention them here) and chinese pop outs.

Shapers provide GREAT service, and quality gear. The only down side with these plugs is for the backyarder DYI guy, you need to use the hole saws in the correct sequence to fit them neatly, i.e big dia first (to the right depth), then the small diameter, if you dont it’ll be a real pain in the ass (trust me!). Fitted correctly, they also allow 5mm fore and aft movement of the fin for fine tuning.

BTW I do not work for this company - just reckon their stuff is good.

Cheers,

Craig.

Hey Gill (Craig),

Thanks for providing that little snippet of insight.I’ve got a few questions about installation, if you wouldn’t mind…

Can you give me a bit more info on the hole saws you use to install the plugs (width, specific name of saw, perhaps a photo)? I spoke to one of the Shapers gurus a couple of months back but his explanation wasn’t as clear as I would have liked, especially given my limited knowledge of hardware.

Also, when you’re drilling, how do you ensure that you’re going in straight and not at a slight angle?

Last question (for now) - I see from your past photos that you don’t mind a bit of fish every now and then. With this in mind, what would you advise if you want to put a bit of cant on the fin, say for the front fins of a quad setup?

Thanks in advance,

Cass

…corn by the water of an old mellow stream…

boxes not plugs......routers not hole saws.....

Hey Cass,

The hole saws I use are your standard set that you get at the hardware store. They are the screw down, extruded type and you’ll find that most sets will have standard sizes that will fit the plugs (i’ve got a couple of sets, all are the same sizes). When fitting the plugs I always drill a 3mm pilot hole to guide the hole saw into the correct position, but I have also shortened the drill from the hoesaw set that I use for boards (leash and fin plugs) so that it is only about 5mm longer than the hole saw itself (does that make sense???).

The pilot hole makes sure that the hole saw is in the right position, as for straight, I just take my time & the shortened drill bit on the hole saw tends to ensure that the whole thing is straight.

As for cant, you can easily tilt the plugs slightly. Just make sure that the rail side of the plugs are level with the glass, fix them in position and grind back before / when sanding. Remember that only a little tilt of the plugs will produce a significant amount of cant.

PM me if you need more info.

Cheers,

Craig.

Hey Stingray,

These are the best that I have that are readily available. They’re easy to fit with a holesaw - so that’s what I use. Have not had any fail, so I reckon they’re pretty good. If I could easily fit them with a router I would.

Cheers,

Craig

[quote="$1"]

Hey Stingray,

These are the best that I have that are readily available. They're easy to fit with a holesaw - so that's what I use. Have not had any fail, so I reckon they're pretty good. If I could easily fit them with a router I would.

Cheers,

Craig

[/quote]

So..........you own a Fin company or do sales for a fin company???? A new fin company?

Profile says you've been here for a long time with very little input??????

The Stomp Pad covers all the deck damage....plugs fail.....boxes are way stronger....You are selling a modified FCS plug to a bunch of "El CheapO" back yard builders......FCS went to boxes...why?......why???  Why are FCS boxes a really close copy of ProBox???

I have posted more than one Stingray F up on Swaylock's.......and with each thread we have worked our way into becoming better surfboard builders...........not in it for for the money..........love me or hate me it's ok....

Stingray

Mr Stingray, yep I’ve been on Sways for a long time, however I don’t post much. Really only comment on things that interest me  or that I have used. I let the more experienced here provide advice. I’m flattered that you have checked my profile, but I’m sure that it does not say anything about me owning or doing sales for a fin company. As a matter of fact, I’m a high school woodwork teacher on the far north coast of NSW  with a small shaping and ding repair business and only commented on the shapers plugs because I like their product.

As for you stating that I have very little input, is that a problem??? I just don’t comment for the sake of commenting or getting higher numbers by my name.

And as for the “You are selling modified FCS plus etc”… and the “not in it for the money” stuff, mate I think you have definately got your wires crossed.

Cheers,

Craig Gillespie

Gillespie Surfboards (how’s that?)

Mr Stingray, yep I’ve been on Sways for a long time, however I don’t post much. Really only comment on things that interest me  or that I have used. I let the more experienced here provide advice. I’m flattered that you have checked my profile, but I’m sure that it does not say anything about me owning or doing sales for a fin company. As a matter of fact, I’m a high school woodwork teacher on the far north coast of NSW  with a small shaping and ding repair business and only commented on the shapers plugs because I like their product.

As for you stating that I have very little input, is that a problem??? I just don’t comment for the sake of commenting or getting higher numbers by my name.

And as for the “You are selling modified FCS plus etc”… and the “not in it for the money” stuff, mate I think you have definately got your wires crossed.

Cheers,

Craig Gillespie

Gillespie Surfboards (how’s that?)

If you don’t have anything positive to say, its may be best to say nothing.  Don’t be that guy.

nice,

but no need for me.

i make my own out of pvc pipe or end plugs.

herb

• StingRay, Always great to hear your support my friend. Herb, you ROCK simple and creative. Thanks my Swaylockian Friends for your support and have a Happy Thanksgiving. Mahalo, Larry