show me you fabric inlays

I know what I’m doing when I glass the current stick…  :)

here’s one I prepared earlier…looks much better in the flesh…

www.moresurfboards.com

Nice one Pridemore!

some special fabric foot patches…in the right places compared to alot of people puttin em out on the rails, and in carbon with PE resin …hahaha…

here is one of mine

This is the true original mexican blanket; Not those cheap resin tints imitations… lol.

54"x21" wakesurfer

New triplane cruising board with a fabric inlay stripe…

3rd and 4th build for me...

carbon fiber and 'space hippie' paisley fabric

P>

this is not really an inlay, just done in the lam...thought it came out kinda cool

My first fabric inlay for a 5’8" fish

Some great looking boards on this thread! Only done 1 so far, did not prewash fabric, so twisted the board badly!  luckily giving more tail rocker on my backhand![img_assist|nid=1065292|title=fabric inlay log|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=480|height=640]

recent one…

www.moresurfboards.com

Very, VERY fine!

I just went nuts and did the whole board.

Very nice Nick. Just one question - where did you find a hanky that big?

Some beauties here ! But how does those inlays affects the strenght & weight of the finished board ? 

inlay as well as tint, polish, bells and whistles

www.MOREsurfboards.com

Strength and Weight… I don’t have much experience but I have a few boards in circulation getting beaten up right now so I can give more definitive info in, say three years!

First impressions though: I do a layer of 4oz, then the inlay, then another layer of 4oz. over top. So there is a sandwiching effect and I feel like just by squeezing the crap out of it that where the fabric inlay is has much more dent resistance. So I’ve been doing strips and positioning it so that it is on the deck with an eye towards preventing heel and knee dings. So it feels quite a bit stronger but of course this will vary depending on the fabric used etc. I don’t know how it compares to fiberglass except that it seems like it retains more flex rather than going as brittle… so maybe it’s stronger than an extra layer of fiberglass just thanks to the different mechanical properties of the cloth vs. glass.

Weight: it is certainly heavier. The cotton I used soaks up more resin than the same amount of 6 oz cloth I would say. And I feel like you have been more careful than with glass when it comes to squeegeeing out excess, because I had a few problems where after scraping it the cloth really wanted to lift up and allow air bubbles underneath despite being totally saturated. Maybe that is my own technique problem? I ended up slicing them afterward and stuffing resin underneath, then weighting them down. You can feel the extra weight in the finished board for sure. I never really measured how much though… But I don’t put fabric inlays in performance shortboards. I figure they are best on designs where the addition of a little weight isn’t a bad thing: longboards, cruisey single fins, twin fish etc…