show me you fabric inlays

And may as well pop this one up as well, another fish… Both of these undergoing current and ongoing ‘Abuse Testing’.

This is a directional kiteboard in epoxy with a Maori print inlay on the deck.

Sweet

this one’s more like a fabric overlay.  old favorite board in great shape was decimated on the bottom by hailstones.  i repeatedly skim coated and sanded to the weave until original bottom contours were restored.  then a grateful dead themed tapestry with a layer of 2 oz glass over top in case i hit weave.  of course, i did hit a few places nose and tail which unfortunately show more than liked over the darker colors there.  a lighter fabric (both weight and color-wise) would have been much easier, but it’s all doable.  RR epoxy, but the original board was PUPE.

-cbg

[img_assist|nid=1067386|title=SkeletonAndRosesFabricOverlay|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=480|height=640]

polyester fabrics work well with epoxy?

bump

Made this one recently.

Funny story on that. I was doing a lazy mexican blanket, just blue and white then mix a little blue and white and so on. I haven’t used poly resin for a while, so I made the mix a little hotter than I should have. The resin started jelling too fast so I ripped off the cloth then scraped as much of the resin off as I could. I ended up with a resin stain.  

I think epoxy over anything is OK. I’ve done a few cloth inlays with epoxy and I’m sure one of the fabrics was a poly blend. Those fabrics tend to have a tight weave so you may want to brush a little resin on under the fabric. Roll the cloth back and do the nose then do the same for the tail. On this last board I did the bottom first, so I had a good line to work with to cut the fabric. I did the fabric, cut it let it dry a little then layed 2 layers of 4oz glass over that and wrapped that around the rails.

nice one sharkcountry, the bottom actually looks like blue camo. I reall like that!

on a side note I posted a question here in hopes of not having to post a whole new topic, for a simple answer. Can you help me out?

Is it cool to laminate polyester fabric with epoxy resin?

wow nice save, I’ve definetly had the same experience, sucks to waste all that material. I was left holding up the balled up fabric trying to figuire out some application around the shop. Just had to regain composure and get back at it. Anyway thanks for the response, I justed needed the reassurance and nudge. I thought it must be fine with so many fabrics having polyester in the blend. 

9’ green tint bottom full top inlay

Nice Thomas!

~Brian

old windsurfboard, pimped up with inlay

(Thanks to Shaper R. Büssow for the pict)

MORE Stuff: http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/still-searching-shapers?page=5

Here is one I just finished up.

Its lace. - Looks pretty cool - Total pain in the butt to do the cut lap on - Big stack of fresh razors are needed for a clean cut.

pic - not so great phone pic

100% Nylon. Fin by Juan Rodriguez.

Custom Made Longboard laminated with our Grafiksilk/Cloth on top.

Shaped by Utopia Surf Factory, France.

(thanks to client/shaper David Kingdon for the picts)

More Designs, Silks for lamination into boards: http://www.freaksoffashion.com/surfboards

Made a set of K2 template silk batik inlay FCS fins for a customer. Turned out great. 

Silk inlay on a grom board
Had to have the rails painted due to fabric stretch

Any tips on preparing silk before laminate