show us your shaping stands...

following on from Wildy’s “ironing board” comment,

please send photos of what you use to shape your boards on …

thanks ! 

ben 

( p.s. -I guess in America I’d probably get slapped for asking 'can you show me your rack", eh ?!

… different meanings for words over there, methinks…)

In new orleans you get beads and they’re called titsin a quiz,the 'rack’term is usually a comentary not a request…a la ‘nice rack’ or

‘shes got a nice rack’ …ambrose…see archives for extensive shaping rack posting…would it resurect if you posted a reply?

I’ve showed these b4 but now that x-mas season is upon us its more timely to show them again…these are great…filled both sides with poured concrete…about $40 bucks.

thanks , meecrafty, for making the effort !

yes, I did a bit of an archives search…found a handful of shots so far…here they are, for the new arrivals among us.

hope no-one minds me using ‘their’ photos to help others…people bootleg mine all the time…who cares ?

some good stands here...anyone else ?  

keep 'em coming, eh ? 

thanks !! 

ben

daddio’s : -

Meecrafty - those are great! Much lighter than the bucket method as well.

My first attempt at stands -

1" threaded pipe, flange screwed on the top end, 3" bent steel strip for the ‘u’, sunk into concrete in a 5 gal. bucket.

The bottom of the bucket warped, so these are my outdoor stands - usually use them for drying UV resin repairs.

CF, show me a bigger pic of the blue walls.

Don’t have the pics w/ me or time to shrink them to me upload reqs,

but at the bottom this link: http://www.fundingcashflow.com/surfing/surfboards.html are pictures of my stands with the dimensions.

{note: page needs updating with final pictures of ST-1, and my current projects - someday)

Can you glass on the same stand as your shaping stand, also how do you get the surfboard to stay still???

I glass on my shapping stands, but I think I’ll put PVC extenders on for glassing so my board will be higher for doing the laps.

Keeping the board still… wrap some tape around the top of the stand once and then give it a half twist and wrap the top so the sticky side is up. After a while the sticky side fills with dust… looses its stick and rewrap. (to save a little money buy use your cheap tape for this, not your good glassing tape)

Oh yeah, those pictures where before I put the carpet on the top of the stands. Before I built the stands, I skinned the blank on an old keyboard stand, which is now my glass role stand.

Mine are a pair of crutches set in buckets with concrete, with the top pads cut off, plywood “U” shapes screwed on, and a yoga mat cut up & taped on as padding. The crutch hand pad is at the bottom of the U as the rail pad when I’m working the other rail. Best use I ever got out of either the crutches or the yoga mat. I shape & glass on them.

Benny, My wife is yelling at me about the mess in your garage.

Don’t wreck that knee again or it’ll be a nice workout lugging those cement buckets around.

Yep Benny…you’re going to give Spitzer a run for his money…

Shaping/glassing stands. When I switch from shaping mode to glassing mode, I take off one side of each support and screw a flat chunk of wood to the top. Super ghetto, for sure. But they work!

Heres my shaping stands

Quote:

Benny, My wife is yelling at me about the mess in your garage.

Its not as bad as it looks.

When I bought the house, the inspector (my contractor boss at the time) wrote, “The garage has substantially failed and should be replaced”. Instead, I added 10’ onto the back, new stemwalls to get the studs out of the water, whole new rafters & roof, door, racking…tell your wife not to worry, its detached.

Its also got a bike on a stand and a TV for late-night watching-the-news workouts.

Why would anyone ever want to put a car in a useful room like that?

Here’s ours… With and without glassing extensions.

Got the plans off Swaylock’s - thanks very much!!!

Here is my stand. I had the old buckets, and my neighbor had some concrete left over. Bought 1.25" PVC from HD. If you wrap one piece of masking tape around the pipe you don’t even have to glue it. Fits very snug, but is removable. The nice thing about this system is the versatility. Cost less than $10 and all you need is a saw to build it.

Currrently + unfourtunetly my shaping [stands][?] are one old crappy chipboard table but hey it will do me for now…

I’m going to make some real stands soon and make padding for them with a cut up pool noodle…

Josh.

I’ll build a nice set when I become a nice shaper.

Hey ya Chipper Ben, here are some pictures those stands completed … I need to make me some of them adjustable stands…