skateboard for learning to cross-step

Hey oldy,

thanks for all that info and the measurements too, very helpful.

I just butt joined the timber together with good old pva glue mate, it was kind of a spur of the moment thing while I had a few hours so nothing fancy! pretty stoked with it though, looks nice to my eye.

gotta get my trucks and wheels next, hope I don’t need wheel wells coz I have started coating the deck already! can I just put riser pads on instead?

I think i’ll just go to manly blades to have a look at trucks, they should have a few sorts there.

i didn’t put in wheel wells. i have risers, & also i tend not to turn too hard, at least not hard enough to need wells.

went and bought trucks and wheels today…

trucks: Randal 180 + 10mm riser pads

wheels: retro zigzag 70mm cherry red

I don’t think I will need wheel wells because the randals are a high truck to start with and + a 10mm riser it should be sweet, this thing won’t be laid over very far anyway!

I walked in the shop with the 64" deck under my arm and the guy looked at it and said “dude… what the hell IS that thing?!”

he was really stoked about it and interested in the purpose i built it for, he even sat a normal deck next to it (half it’s length!) and took pics of them together!

just gotta put some logos on, finish the varnish coats and then set it all up, can’t wait!

you will be glad you went long .After a while try the lay down start…My measurements are as folows

lenght 72’’

Leading edge of front truck : 6’’ from nose

Leading edge of rear truck 46 5/8’’ from rear of leading truck

randal 180’s

76mm wheels

risers 180 cm

I keep board very loose after a while as you can do very radical walking to the nose while turning.which has paid off on real waves

cheers

mpcutback

On this same subject, anyone know where I can find a “bigger” blank deck, but not necessarily a longboard deck? I’d like something with a kicktail, concave and longboard-type shape, but not the uber-ugly oldschool outlines and graphics. Ideally it would be about 36-38" by 9.5" and just plain wood on bottom and tape on top.

Since you have all the vacumm toys check out this site http://www.roarockit.com/uncut_veneer.php This thread got started just about the time that my son decided he wanted his own longboard.

Synchronicity, Dan, I just came from over there. :slight_smile:

Definitely a better option for my particular pickyness/skillset. Now, if I can only find a cheaper source for that rock maple veneer.

I wonder if 1lb eps would make a strong enough mold? Maybe if I had some way of putting some kind of hard shell on it…

Sorry if I’m derailing this thread a little, guys. Fun stuff.

Robbo, It came out sweet bro. For truck placement, put some 2x4s under the deck where you think you want the trucks…then get on board and see how it feels. Maybe 4" of overhang in the front and 6" in the back.

You may need a bit more than 10mm of risers, because the Randall’s don’t really like to be tightened down all that much. The stock yellow bushings used to start to flake if they were cranked down too much. Go easy at first…you may have to add more riser cause WHEELBITE is BAD.

1# EPS makes a great skateboard rocker table if you first bag down 4-5 layers of glass with epoxy :slight_smile: Hotcoat & sand…and don’t forget your mould-release :slight_smile:

Hoping to ask the experts a longboard question – thinking about a Lush Kisiwa deck:

http://www.lushlongboards.com/06-content.php?cat=completes&subcat=KISIWA

I’ve been recommended 219 mm trucks, but in this thread I’m noticing that everyone is using 170 mm trucks.

Can anyone explain the preference for the narrower trucks? Do I have a bad recommendation?

Thanks for any help!

Edit:

I don’t know what I’m talking about.

Carry on.

Hey Shwuz,

Check out:

www.eastbuilt.com

They have all sorts of old school (80’s) shapes. They also have uncut skateboard blanks - just trace a shape, cut it out, drill it, and go.

eastbuilt is out of longboard deck blanks, and roarockit wants $40 to ship $56 worth of maple veneers!!

Anyone know where else to get this stuff?

Easy enough to make your own longboard.

All the details here, this one only cost me $17 to build…

well it’s finished! put the grip on today and took it for a little burn to the shops, got heaps of comments and funny looks too, which is always good!

my mate was laughing his head off as I flew through the beach carpark perched on the nose doing a soul arch!!!

it felt good!

doesn’t really like turning though, or maybe it is ME who doesn’t like turning it?! maybe it will get easier the more I ride it, after all I haven’t been on a skatie for years.

as “OLDY” said… “THATS A WHOLE LOTTA SKATEBOARD!” all 64 inches of it!

here are some pics of it finished, better quality ones coming later…

the logo’s on deck and bottom are sprayed on after one coat of clear and then 2 coats of clear over for protection.

thats clear grip on the deck too, cut into strips to go inbetween the stringers.

you can see the wheel arches in these 2 pics, not easy to do, I didn’t want to fork out $$ for a drum sander attatchment to go into a drill so I just used the nose of my belt sander (50mm diameter) to rough out and then glued some 80grit and 120grit sandpaper to opposite sides of a short length of 90mm diameter pvc pipe (to use as a kind of sanding block!) and widened and cleaned up the arches with that, a little bit fiddley and tricky but it turned out ok, getting them symmetrical was the hardest part though!

well done !

now please take it to mona vale primary’s banks , mona vale halfpipe and bowl , kierle park [manly] and avalon skatepark please !! [and get some photos for us , please ?]

and …

I would LOVE to see it in action at Castle Cove pipe!

cheers Robbo !

ben

thanks chipper!

I think it is FAR too big for any of those places though mate, remember it’s 5’4"!!! I think I will just try to find a nice big flat area for practising my cross-stepping and longboarding “form”, it’s certainly not a trick board, it weighs a tonne too so it’s not all that easy to throw around either!!!

it will be fun though, and hopefully it will help mu surfing too.

in a BIG bowl [like a reservoir ] , your skatey would RIP !!

The Emu Plains Spillway comes to mind …[Sydney’s very own “stoker hill” ansd ‘uluwatus’ , on steroids !!]

cheers

ben

That looks really nice! My son has one on his Xmas list - might need to make a father-son pair (5 ft & 4 ft.)