spiral vee please can some one explain for an idiot guide.

can any body simply explain spiral vee, and its efects .

would a bonzer be a spiral vee??

…as the rail line increases gradually above the centreline , the amount of “V” increases towards the end of the tail…the panel  each side of the stringer is , in fact , spiral , and not flat…ergo , yes , it is a spiral vee…and quite an apt and acurate desription IMO…

Live photos instead of links would be nice. Photos with a straight edge across the tail and at different angles would be nice.....Professional surfboard building is a top secret world with lots of silly made up words and secret sauce.....Long before I started repairing and building surfboards in my garage all the top "brands" sold out to Aisa......It's all been reverse engineered. No matter who invented it.

I've put a straight edge on every surfboard I've ever fixed... I don't know the proper terms. Hate to spill the beans but myself and plenty of people here have walked into Surf Ride with a tape measure and a pencil to extract some secret sauce.......

so......... is it Spiral Vee?    (surfer invented term)..............

or concave to double concave with vee out the back and reverse rocker mixed inverted convex triple carbon slab winged bat bitch tail?

Ray ???????

I remember at the time an article on Brewer, he stated that McTavish showed him how to shape a spiral vee.  

Thank you Jim for that simple explanation.  I’ve wondered for years what “spiral” had to do with it.

Now I get it.

…yeah…maybe the term has changed over the years…I always regarded it as an acceleration of tail rocker at the rail line, while the centre stays in a flatter curve…was some radical examples on singles , prior to the thruster domination…

the term “spiral” is an illusion of what the V looks like as it wraps around from the rail to the center, you have an increasing V / rocker as it approachs the tail, with the outline cutting across it in a parabolic curve

1 Like

You should probably keep that between you and your lady :slight_smile:

I can tell you what I saw in person.    In 1963 Brewer was building and promoting his Concave (single in the tail) Guns.   Both Buzzy Trent and Kealoha rode them.     Around 1969 or 1970 a regular surfer at Windansea, Grant Burrows, built a California Gun with a diamond tail and double shallow concaves out the tail.    Soft Vee in the center.    Grant rode this board on a regular basis, at Windansea.    This was the first example of this configuration that I am aware of.    It was a very creative time in surfing.   During that same time period, the Downrailer and the Lis Fish were born, and Twin Fins and Tri-Fins reappeared on the scene.

Imagine shaping a Vee with a flat piece of plywood. Then a slightly curved sanding pad. just the harder and softer versions

i just instagrammed a pic… dont know if you can see it

http://instagram.com/p/XJfj_MAxDd/

This woody has about a 1/4’’ of spiral vee in the last 6’’ of the tail.

http://www.grainsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4926&start=20

Scroll down the page and you will see the photo showing the transition.

This is Mo Bettah

Dick Brewer if not the invetor of the Double Barrel Vee (spiral Vee)    was the master of how and where to use it! Dick claims he is the inventor, What do you say Bill Thrailkill , can you shed any ligt on the subject. All my Dick Brewer  windsurfing boards were double barrel to Vee my Brewer semi guns were single barrel to double barrel vee. Never really understood them but they sure worked good on big Kauai waves.

Hey acqua whats the difference between a rolled vee and a normal vee ??. 

When I think of a rolled vee I cant think of how its different to a rolled bottom ? 

double into a vee with the double carried through the tail…

[quote="$1"]

[quote="$1"]

Professional surfboard building is a top secret world with lots of silly made up words and secret sauce.....

so......... is it Spiral Vee?    (surfer invented term)..............

[/quote] .......as the rail line increases gradually above the centreline , the amount of "V" increases towards the end of the tail........the panel  each side of the stringer is , in fact , spiral , and not flat.......ergo , yes , it is a spiral vee....and quite an apt and acurate desription IMO.........

[/quote]

I sure would like to see a real photo of what you just said......maybe 2 or three photos.........I bet at least 240 people want to see those photos but are afraid to ask......and photos with a Super Model would be really neat!....

...and maybe some photos explaining what is double concave and not spiral Vee....or...........??????

looks like a combo swell to me.....Stingray

Stingray.

I posted a link to a photo on the previous page.

All you do is click on the blue writing and then when the page comes up scroll down.

Neat.....

What's stopping you from posting a real photo on Swaylocks?

Two weeks from now your link will be lost.....Post a real photo now...lock it into this thread.