Sunscreens

Over the years I’ve come to realize there are some very knowledgable people on this forum so I’m hoping there is some expert here who can help me with some info. I’m going to make my own sunscreen - I bought a lb. of Zinc Oxide powder on Ebay and now I’m looking for the right base to mix it with. I used to use Hawaiian Tropic and it stayed on in the water for hours - no problem until they changed the formula and now it’s like all the rest - washing off in a short period of time and just not good enough for a 3 hour session in the tropics, where I’m living. So any help appreciated pointing me towards some liquid I can use as a base that won’t wash off quickly. Thanks.

Coconut Oil, with just a touch of Mineral Oil, to slightly dilute it.       Mix in your powdered Zinc, and you’ll have a decent salve/protectant.

Zinc oxide was my surfing war paint back in the dark ages to keep my nose, cheeks and shoulders from blistering.  It was thick ointment and more like a paste.  If I planned to stay out for more than an hour or two, I wore a T-shirt too.

You need a waterproof base for your zinc oxide powder.  Vaseline might be a suitable base.  But what is the max safe concentration of zinc oxide in your ointment?

I couldn’t find zinc oxide ointment for sun protection at Walmart.  I did discover diaper cream contains zinc oxide.  Desitin claims maximum allowable zinc oxide content without a prescription at 40%.  Level of UV protection unkown.  I bought a 4-oz tube of Walmart generic cream (Equate) with 40% zinc oxide for a rash – a little over $2.  Have never tested it as a sunblock but plan to.

You could probably add zinc oxide to the diaper cream.  But what is the medically safe limit/concentration?

Just put some 40% zinc oxide diaper cream on my nose.  Looked like the old surfing war paint.  Don’t know if I could take the smell of diaper cream for a couple of hours. Maybe zinc oxide plus vaseline, coconut oil or a mix – and a little vegetable/food-safe oil to thin the mixture (soybean, canola, olive, sunflower, linseed?).  Need to check the smell of the vegetable oil mixed in.

Beyond zinc oxide, diaper cream contains: BHA, cod liver oil, fragrance,  lanolin, petrolatum, phenoxyethanol, talc and water.  BHA is a waxy solid that is used as an antioxidant, probably to keep the cod liver oil from becoming rancid.

Depends on ambient temp. Needs to be really thick stuff. I found vaseline and coconut oil just washes off

I now use ripcurl but in want to make my own

Wish I knew what the base was in the old Hawaiian Tropic.

Melt a little Paraffin into the Coconut Oil, during formulation.

In my experience sun block doesnt work as well these days as it used to, someone told me it was because of some ingredients being banned so hence the changes in formulas, i have no idea if there is any truth in that… but nowdays I cant find any sun creams that seem to do the job. Maybe its just me.

I’ve had good luck with the Waterman’s brand sunscreens.

Warm water/weather, Aloe Gator Gel.  Only comes off with soap or detergent, doesn’t run in hotter temps.  In colder water/weather, Doctor Martin’s is good, but will stain lighter fabrics.

JSS

“Badger” sunscreens have worked well in the Ecuadorian sun and surf. One thing about Zinc Oxide is “Non nano” vs “Nano” Zinc Oxide. Non nano floats on top of skin and provides better sun reflection. Another product that held up well is from Surfscreen Organic Sunscreen. Got a free sample somewhere and was suprised how well it lasted on face. Maybe look at what is in these products, especially Badger, and try and “copy” them sort of.

Anything new out there that works? Store bought?

all the best

I have some Blue Lizard for the face I bought off amazon, and it does not make my eyes burn, which means i will use it, and it does not make me break out with Zits If I do not wash my face ASAP post surf like the past few brands would, bananna boat and coppertone

BUt how well it blocks  UVA and B is kind of in doubt as while i used it every day this week surfing midday. I had remarks tonight about how ‘freaking’ tan I am.

The Blue Lizard sport if used on my face would burn my eyes.

The white bottle turning blue in UV light is a novelty and happens much faster than I expected.

Not a glowing review of a product but it seems to be better than the other brands I have used.

You might get some hints from this product/page.

Wax head is very expensive at around $25 or so. Did NOt do the job. I got really burned after using it in only a couple of  hours. Apparently not good in the water  

Ive had decent results with Coppertone Water Babies w zinc. But it’s getting hard to find and I’m looking for something better. 

Excellent info here:

https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/report/executive-summary/

Vertra beige stick is by far the best sunscreen I have ever used.

https://www.anchorchief.com/products/vertra-11g-beige-stick-50

It stays on so well that you can dry yourself after a session, and you still look like you are wearing heavy make-up. It does not come off without deliberate and determined rubbing. Very hard to get off, that’s the only problem. It will stain clothes, bedsheets, wetsuits etc, but does seem to come out when washed with detergent.

Very expensive, unfortunately. 

Thanks DrS.  That was a great but lengthy article.  Lots of good info and product recommendations.  I read most, skimmed a lot.  I did not verify the MPF equation though (ha).

all the best

Never used it but have you tried rubbing it with oil (any kind, coconut, olive, peanut…)? Used that in Santa Barabara when lived there and it was the one thing that took the tar off easily. Another possibility is baking soda; a bit abrasive but maybe more skin friendly less hard rubbing than some other things. Trial and learning

They’re expensive, but Vertra makes a wipe to remove their sunscreen