"the shoji" surfboard

My vote is to go with the white silk base, and paint in the red panels as shown in your computer rendition…

I’ll shut up now… I’ve got a few more posts until I’m done here…

Cheers… to all…

Hey Huck,

That’s nice work…really beautiful craftsmanship.

I’ll attempt to attach a couple of images, a building (bell tower at a monastery) in Japan, originally constructed with no nails, just interlocking pieces, (though they’ve subsequently added some reinforcements to the corners). It’s about 400 years old and still tight. Also, a storage building, designed to essentially “breathe” during the hot, humid Summers, to preserve the objects inside.

Reckon the way you’re going, that shoji board oughta be right in there.

Stunning piece of work.

at it again, eh Huck!

you are insane, my friend... next thing you know youll be making a board out of popsicle sticks,

oh the reson the silkspan shrinks is the paint curing and shrinking

dope paint was the go to paint as it was fuel proof,,, Monocote rules!

Absolutely amazing and inspiring work Huck! I am enjoying being on the ride.

Hey Huck, great build.

What type of wood did you use for those fin boxes?

[quote="$1"]

Hey Huck, great build.

What type of wood did you use for those fin boxes?

[/quote]

Thanks for the props guys, work on this board is coming on apace...a snails pace, that is LOL.  The bottom is redwood and balsa, the pockets are balsa.  But the next time I'm gonna use popsicle sticks per Ken's advice!

Huck

if you dont stop this OCD behavior I will have to have you commited

before we read the headlines,,,

" POPSICLE STICK BANDIT STRIKES AGAIN"

Children all over town are in tears as the estrainged man robs

them of their sticks, leaving only the melted remains of the frozen treat.

[quote="$1"]

Huck

if you dont stop this OCD behavior I will have to have you commited

before we read the headlines,,,

" POPSICLE STICK BANDIT STRIKES AGAIN"

[/quote]

Balderdash!

All my popsicle sticks were readily donated!

------------------------------------------

(my next surfboard???...)

--------------------------------------------------

"smiling volunteer grins big as he willingly donates popsicle to worthy cause..."

Hi Huck -

No wonder you don't have time for a 'real' job!  HAHA

[quote="$1"]

Hi Huck -

No wonder you don't have time for a 'real' job!  HAHA

[/quote]

Yeah, gotta agree with you there - owning and running a general contracting business is easy street, nothing like a "real" job =)  Just ask hydro_skiper, everysurfer, or tblank

its like the song says, that ain't workin'!

[video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXQ5MWhsfSs]

http://www.bakersfieldremodel.com/

Hey Huck, SSHH! Ixnay on the easy street talk...everyone will want in. We can't let them know surfboards are just a way of using up scrap material from our mailboxes. (They gotta be HUGE for all the checks streaming in).

Really nice job on these builds. I've said before, I like your rail system better than laminating strips. Nicely executed. This is artistry.

ps. You must have high arches from the looks of that deck crown.

Thanks!  With the "layered" strips, its almost like weaving the board together hahaha.

The dome is an optical illusion.  At 2.5" thick, this is one of the flatter decks.  You just see it more than with foam.

"If you ever get annoyed look at me I'm self-employed
I love to work at nothing all day

And I've been takin' care of business everyday
Takin' care of business every way

I've been takin' care of business It's all mine
Takin' care of business and working overtime"
  - BTO

The framework is far and away the strongest of any board I've built to date.  The achilles' tendon, of course, will be the covering.  Too keep it light, I'm going to stick with my original plan of silk, or some type of strong paper, and fiberglass. 

The transverse members are 2 3/8" o.c., and the same with the lengthwise  runners - in effect, the board has 9 stringers and ribs every 2 3/8".  It will be lighter than any of my other wood boards, but heavier than a foam board.  I'm hoping for around 10 lbs. completed, but not sure I can do it.  Its almost 6 lbs. now.

The leash plug is notched tightly and epoxied into the stringer, and then a spline was added either side of the remaining stringer underneath.  A few more reinforcements will tie it further to the rest of the board, but as it is, I think the tail of the board would break off before the plug would come out.

I'm setting it up as a quad, but I have a pocket in case I decide to add a center fin box later.

You do realize, Huck, that to be be truly ZEN you will have to sand even the unseen inside surfaces to perfection?

Amazing work.  You could stop now and hang that structure as an art work.

The best use of kindling I’ve ever seen. Huck, you are Damn good at what you do. Mike

It has actually been enjoyable doing this weird experimental build, I go into my shop and just cut and glue little pieces and I'm in the zone, low stress, just tooling around in my own little world LOL.  Progress moves so slow you don't even think about it after awhile, hahaha.  I plan on doing some more like this, trying some other variations on the theme which are floating around in my head.

I pretty much finished the framework, a couple pieces needed around the vent and leash plug.  Next: seal the inside and apply the 'rice paper'.  I have ordered some "polyspan" tissue, a tissue designed for lining dresses, it is synthetic, puncture resistant, water resistant, and very strong.  It can be pulled tight with heat.  It has a smooth side and a rough side, I'll apply it rough side out, to get a better bond with the fiberglass.  I need nitrate dope to apply it, and the stuff is hard to find, I'll have to order some on internet.

Once the tissue is on, then artwork, and fiberglass it.  My plan is one layer of 6 oz. fiberglass over the tissue, then see how strong it feels to see if I think it'll need more.  After I glass the top and bottom, then I'll shape the rails.  At least that's my plan.  Then I'll glass the rails last.

Am I repeating myself?  I can't remember what I said about it earlier.  Its been a trip for sure, I bet there are over 1300 pieces in this thing.

Howzit Huck, Amazing woodwork and I hope you are having fun because it definitly looks like the challenge is there. Aloha,Kokua

Took some white oil based industrial enamel, and painted everything I could get to.  Some parts I knew I wouldn't be able to get to later, so I sealed them with clear polyurethane floor finish during the build.