the " stubbie " photo thread...

apex rocker… now THAT’S what’s missing… you’ve read the M.P. book too, I take it, Josh !

That was his whole “I could say, but I won’t say” little secret right there, WASN’T it !

No, because I stripped it from an existing 6’ 9 " board, the rocker was pretty flat, Josh.

But you’re right! If I make another, I’ll try and sort the blank for it , so it’s front foot accelerator and back foot brake material!

ben 

ps - the board length measurement I go by is the bottom , by the way, which with rocker normally gives an inch or two extra compared to the 'straight line ’ [tip of nose to tail pod measurement]

wow Shwuz, that’s almost a bonzer bottom kneeboard !!

I’m guessing the nose and tail on that are at least 18 ", and the pod maybe 13 " … close ??

…five or three fins ?

I can’t wait to see the finished product… and hear if it turns !! [you could always kneel on it, to crank your turns harder !]

ben 

ps - that’s wider than ANY of the bonzer ‘bumblebees’ I’ve seen photos of, so far !

Hey chip,

It’s actually the same dims as Kalani’s monster yellow bumblebee bonzer, only shorter. The pod is 11, then 17.5 at the tail, 22.5 at the wide point, 17 nose. His is the same, only it is 6’6" and 3.25 thick. Mine will probably wind up about 2.75 thick when done, and its 6’0".

He said his rode quite well when he weighed 217 lbs, turned no problem. “You can hang five on it and still crank it around like a real shortboard.” That’s just about what I weigh right now, so I should be able to sink a rail on it. Although its not too late to pull the tail in a little, I guess…

Here’s a shot from the other forum, I don’t think kalani would mind. I’d say the proportions would get it into that stubbie classification, even if it is 6’6".

And foamdust, thanks! I sure feel like I’ve come a long way! I’ve been shaping less than a year, that stubbie is my 7th shape, and thanks to swaylocks I’ve never made an ugly or unridable board.

What makes a stubbie a stubbie? Seems like there is wuite a lot of diversity among stubbies, just like the fish…

regards,

Håvard

hi Haavard !

… re-read my opening guidelines…

" STUBBIE " is Aussie (? ‘slang’ ?) for “short” (and, wide , and kinda chopped down [tails] )

Without being legalistic or a stickler or pedantic or whatever, they WERE , originally, SINGLE fins (here in Oz, at least! )

okay… hope this helps !

"chip" 

ps… is it in the ‘glossary’ ? ( If not, WHY not ?! )

now you’ve seen what was too short for me, here’s what’s too WIDE for me …

(it IS, really, a kneeboard… but, in view of Ted Spencer’s …er… ‘stubbie / kneeboard’ [see "the innermost limits of pure fun " video], I thought I’d give it a try standing!)

21" [!!] x 5’8 x 24 1/2" [!!] x 2 1/2 " x 18 1/2" (11" pod!)

"chip"

“Stubby” aka “Stubbie” was just added to glossary. The Glossary is open to everybody - please feel free to add to description or start your own subject.

I have some other photos somewhere. I’ll dig and see if I can find them. The picture is from 1970 or 71. TB

Quote:

“Stubby” aka “Stubbie” was just added to glossary. The Glossary is open to everybody - please feel free to add to description or start your own subject.

thanks John !!

can we whack photos in the glossary too ?

ben
Quote:

I have some other photos somewhere. I’ll dig and see if I can find them. The picture is from 1970 or 71. TB

please can I see it ?

[browse] click on photo wanted

[open]

[upload attachment ]

[post reply]

[to have it come up as 'attachment'...to have it show as visible here, see 'posting photos' thread instructions, at top of the threads list page...] 

hope this helps … cheers mate !

ben
Quote:

can we whack photos in the glossary too ?

Yep.

Yeah!! Bowler ,right after this Pic Mr Tim was seen in a near by canyon with a coyote skull necklace on ,howling at the moon!! Liddle Rules!!! Tim dont worry I wont tell your kids.

I LOVE that board !! 

mr. Liddle has been making 'em for quite a while , eh ?

I realise it’s 34 years ago now [!], but I was just wondering if there were any dimensions recorded with that shot by any chance ?

cheers , ‘shapes’ !

ben

Here’s a few more.

“spence[r kel…” ? …right ??]

did you / do you work for ‘wilderness’, by any chance ?

And, would the boards in this photo have been shaped by richie west or george or bob duncan or yourself ?

If so, were they ‘s-decks’, with hull bottoms?

Any of them survive to this day, do you know ?

cheers ! [ “professor k…” ?]

ben

The boards in that photo are by Richie West and Mike Cundith ,67 is a bit early I think more like 69 70 . The shop was still at the old Ice house off Cabrillo st.Bob Duncan and Danny Hazard also shaped some there. I think Cundith split in 71 and Richie in 72 or 73. Mike Cundith is doing some Wilderness boards in Byron Bay . And Duncan keeps the flame going at the Beachouse in Santa Barbara. Wilderness LIves on!!! PS ,I think that the Liddle that shapesandhulls posted is more what Michel Peterson was riding in Morning of the Earth at Kirra than what some guys are selling as a copy in Aus. I gotta learn how to post pics my garage\ shop is full of this sh!##

By the the way, Mr Spence is one Hull of a shaper, he has studied this stuff and has it down Ventura surf shop is his stopin grounds.

Stubbies have been on my mind too, so I just got one. Surfed this Scot Henry shape for the first time yesterday w/ a 8.5" flex fin. 5’8", s-deck arc tail, chined rails fade out just even with the finbox leading edge. Single concave starts slow and early but really dishes out through the tail. Regular weight foam, 10 oz volan deck patch = made to travel. (Sorry about the saturation in the photos…too much sun!)

Quote:

The boards in that photo are by Richie West and Mike Cundith ,67 is a bit early I think more like 69 70 . The shop was still at the old Ice house off Cabrillo st.Bob Duncan and Danny Hazard also shaped some there. I think Cundith split in 71 and Richie in 72 or 73. Mike Cundith is doing some Wilderness boards in Byron Bay . And Duncan keeps the flame going at the Beachouse in Santa Barbara. Wilderness LIves on!!! PS ,I think that the Liddle that shapesandhulls posted is more what Michel Peterson was riding in Morning of the Earth at Kirra than what some guys are selling as a copy in Aus. I gotta learn how to post pics my garage\ shop is full of this sh!##

yeah … YEAH, DO it kirk…I want to SEE those boards !!

… so would Andy on the east coast of oz !!

Hey , GREAT post… thanks for that info !!

I have a "Richie West Bullett " 6’4 single fin, from when he moved to Coffs Harbour, east coast australia…and a shot of him surfing there. [tube maestro, still !!]

danny hazard was also in the greenough scrapbook article…and “the innermost limits…” video too , of course.

The flat bottomed stubs I particularly like.

Michael Cundith is still with ‘Sky Surfboards’ in Byron Bay, as far as I know. Nearby is George, and Bob McTavish… what a hotbed area of shaper talent THAT is !!

thanks again for the info !! [are YOU in santa barbara , Kirk ?] 

"chip"