Tie Dye

[[{“fid”:“106485”,“view_mode”:“preview”,“fields”:{“format”:“preview”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:“Tie Dye”,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:“Tie Dye”},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“1”:{“format”:“preview”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:“Tie Dye”,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:“Tie Dye”}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“alt”:“Tie Dye”,“title”:“Tie Dye”,“class”:“media-element file-preview”,“data-delta”:“1”}}]]

Something I’m playing with

[[{“fid”:“106489”,“view_mode”:“preview”,“fields”:{“format”:“preview”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:“Tie Dye”,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:“Tie Dye”},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“1”:{“format”:“preview”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:“Tie Dye”,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:“Tie Dye”}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“alt”:“Tie Dye”,“title”:“Tie Dye”,“class”:“media-element file-preview”,“data-delta”:“1”}}]]

The cloth is nonwoven nylon.  Cerex is “Skins”

I tried it first on woven nylon, but it didn’t take the color right

What cloth is that?  You are onto something.

I tie dyed some (damn can’t remember the name, non woven bulking fiber) using Rit dye. I liked it. No one else did. 

Please keep us informed. 

All the best

What it’s going on.

Mark you must have been typing while I was. 

Rit dye is the worst.  Google Dharma trading company.  Acid dyes.

Definitely a learning curve.

VERY COOL MARK!

I got to my computer, instead of my phone, so I’ll try to post this a bit better.  Maybe even a build thread.

The blank templated.  It wasn’t quite wide enough so I’m adding corcell rails like  a Firewire.

I cut the template with a skill saw, then squared it up with a door plane.

I cut grooves in the bottom to lay lines of Twaron on the bottom.  The Nylon I use is elastic, so reinforcing it like rebar in concrete adds strength.  I cut the grooves in with a tile grout file, and a straight edge

OOPS, double post

So now, the board is lined.

The bottom countour is single to double to Vee.  I’ve got an old Channel Islands MBM.  I copied the bottom from that, but gave it a bit less rocker through the middle. I used a smaller level to measure the flatness of the concave.

First color, and all tied up

Second color, and into a microwave safe bowl.  The bowl was a smart $7.00 at Smart and Final.  Wife would kill me if I used her good glassware.

Microwave at 50% for 10 minutes to set the acid dye.

Better pictures than earlier in the thread.  My phone isn’t swaylocks friendly.

Hanging to dry.  One for the top, and one for the bottom

Please keep posting, great stuff. Has anybody ever tie dyed the actual glass cloth itself? I’m guessing it wouldn’t work.

Please keep posting, great stuff. Has anybody ever tie dyed the actual glass cloth itself? I’m guessing it wouldn’t work.

The bottom was vacuum bagged, along with a 4 oz warp

Assuming you’re using epoxy resin, I think 4 oz is a good call for the bottom.  The tie dyed fabric with epoxy likely adds a bit of strength to the schedule.  Love the build threads especially something a bit different!