Tie Dye

Far out man! super cool!!!

I like it.  I had been thinking of doing something similar with Carbon Tow.

Looks killer! - dig the fabric too!

Dig it Mark, very cool to see a thread with new (to me) methods and materials. I know you have been doing this for a few years now. Is this the answer we are all looking for? Are you still in search of other materials or, are these sufficient? Interested in the longevity. Have there been any failures with the nylon? Thanks heaps for posting. Great stuff.

ps. Yep…20 questions.

Thanks for the kind words everybody.

Am I done with materials? I’ve got no idea on that one.  During the slow economy, I had time on my hands to play around.  I’m down to one board a year now, so not much research being done on my end.

Is nylon sufficient? I guess it’s what the end goal is.  The gun that I made last year is in really good shape, except for some dents from a hidden boulder at El Cap during last winter’s storms/ floods.

The down side is that the time these take to make, without a production set-up is really consuming.  Coils and Libtech have a assembly line so they can do it.

This current one has nylon for the tie dye, but glass on top.  Glass is easier to use, and I have rolls of it that I have to use up.

I don’t think I’ll ever stop using vacuum bagging, because it makes the lamination much tighter and leaner of resin than could ever be done with just a squeegee.

I ran out of epoxy, so I have to wait until Saturday  to do the deck.

I’m bringing a roll of cerex, and some dye to plaskett in a couple of weeks if anyone wants to try it.

Oops, double post

I am interested in seeing if the grooves/ twaron  act like corrugation to stiffen the deck , so less denting

That was what I was wondering about; the grooves.  So that “hidden” boulder is. Still there huh.

Thanks for responding Mark. Have a blast at Plaskett. This past week we have had two significant feeding frenzies right out front here in S.S. Might be some decent fishing for all y’all.

for sure it’ll, ribs are really effective to stiffen skins + it can improve bond. i do them with fiberglass to stiffen skin where there are higher stress, far efficient than fiber strip for same weight but more work to do.

More grooves on the deck

[[{“fid”:“106612”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“1”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“class”:“media-element file-default”,“data-delta”:“1”}}]]

Back in the bag, for the deck.

Deck, just out of the bag

Looks great Mark. But the rotation should be counter clockwise in the northern hemisphere. Ha?

Maybe I missed it but did you mention the weight of the Cerex ?  How far down the deck side rails did you go with it. Rail apex?

all the best

2 oz.  The bottom lam, I wrapped it up to the cut lap line.  For the deck, I wraped it fully onto the bottom.  It would be much easier to not wrap the rails with it.  If you are going to use the cerex, because it soaks so much epoxy, it needs to be bagged,  Also, because it doesn’t drape like woven cloth, if you wrap the rails, you have to bag it, to keep it from lifting.

Thanks Mark

What if you didn’t wrap the rails at all and just did an inlay?

Hi Chris,

My life would be easier!

I thought about that.  I went with the full wrap, because with the swelling nature of Cerex, I wanted to bag it at the same time as the glass.

If I was going for ease, Dharma trading company sells silk for tie dying.  That would be light weight and simpler.  Just not as ding/ dent resistant.

That looks very cool.

Thanks for posting.

Setting boxes goes a touch out of order.  The lam is done, so route the boxes through the finished glass.  Then a tail patch and footballs.